2017 Women's Soccer NCAA Prediction Contest

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by Soccerhunter, Nov 5, 2017.

1. Glove Stinks

Glove Stinks Member+

Jan 20, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Cmon loyalist,!!!

Got Jukes? repped this.
  2. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Machine Division:

Through the Friday games, according to the NCAA's RPI and taking into account game locations, there were three upsets: Vandy over Ohio State, Wake Forest over Georgetown, and Clemson over Alabama. In other words, the NCAA's RPI already has missed 3 games.

According to the NCAA's Non-Conference ARPI, there only were two upsets: Vandy over Ohio State and Clemson over Alabama. So, it has missed 2 games.

According to the 5 Iteration ARPI and Massey, the only upset was Vandy over Ohio State. They're both doing better than the NCAA, each having missed 1 game.

But, there's an interesting note about game locations. Past precedent has been that, for games between unseeded teams, the team with the better RPI (that has bid and has a qualifying field) always gets to host the first round game. The Committee appears to have changed that this year, assigning the Hofstra v Auburn game to Auburn (Hofstra had the better ARPI), the Georgetown v Wake Forest game to Wake Forest (Georgetown had the better ARPI), and the Alabama v Clemson game to Clemson (Alabama had the better ARPI). Both Hofstra and Georgetown bid for their games, I don't know about Alabama. I don't know whether Hofstra, Georgetown, and Alabama have qualifying fields. The change in game location to Auburn, for the Hofstra v Auburn game, changed the likely winner from Hofstra to Auburn according to the ARPI and Massey (but not according to the NCARPI and the 5 Iteration ARPI). The change in game location to Wake Forest, for the Georgetown v Wake Forest game, changed the likely winner from Georgetown to Wake Forest according to the ARPI and NCARPI (but not according to the Iteration 5 ARPI and Massey). And the change in game location to Clemson, for the Alabama v Clemson game, changed the likely winner from Alabama to Clemson according to the ARPI and NCARPI (but not according to the Iteration 5 ARPI and Massey). The bottom line is (although there's ambiguity) that the Committee, in its game location designations and from a statistical perspective, may have made itself a factor in turning these games into possible upsets.

3. Carolina92

Carolina92 Member

Sep 26, 2008
    Thanks, this is a good explanation.

So bottom bottom line is the RPI is terrible and needs to be changed and then we can look forward to the day where we don't even have to play any games we can just run computer models. ;-)

4. HeadSpun

HeadSpun Member

Nov 14, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Actually, his analysis shows that the bottom line is that the RPI is better than last night's results reflect. His statistics show, that had those 3 matches been played at the home field of the higher RPI opponent, it is likely that the higher RPI team would have won. In those examples, the lower RPI team was given home field advantage, and beat the higher RPI team.

I've never thought "home field" advantage meant a whole lot ....but this makes one go "hmmmm"...

5. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Happily, the computer models can't predict upsets, so we can't do it. And, in soccer there are lots of upsets -- about 25% of games that statistically should be wins turn out to be losses or ties. It's part of what makes soccer the beautiful, and sometimes agonizing, game.

6. Soccerhunter

Soccerhunter Member+

Sep 12, 2009
    First Round scoring is complete.

Human Division

29 WENDY’S
    28 DMTHOMAS49
    28 SOCCERHUNTER
    28 CRANE65
    28 EUROPE FB FAN
    28 OLELALIGA
    28 McSKILLS
    27 NORFOLK
    27 MPR2477
    27 JUSTDOIT
    27 INGOLDSBY
    27 GOT JUKES?
    27 HEADSPUN
    27 PLAYSIMPLE
    27 TIME&SPACE
    26 MERLIN13
    26 WALSCD
    26 ZIGGY1010
    25 GLOVE STINKS
    25 KURT KLINE
    25 CASTATE
    24 BIGWEST
    24 KICKITHARD
    22 RTD!

Wendy's sits alone with the top picks -only missing three out of the 32. But essentially at this point most everyone is still theoretically in the running as a five or even a seven point spread most of the time does not decide the eventual winner.

There was a different set of leaders before the results of the 0-0 tie between Butler and Northwestern was decided by a shoot-out in Northwestern's favor. The Butler pickers all fell down a slot. (It was a classic soccer game where Butler led on the stats for shots on goal, corner kicks (and fouls) but NW got the win with more saves AND a 3-2 advantage goals from the spot.)

Over in the Machine division, CP's Interation 5 Adjusted RPI and Massey are leading the pack for the moment.

7. Soccerhunter

Soccerhunter Member+

Sep 12, 2009
    #82 Soccerhunter, Nov 18, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2017
    The second round scores are in.

On the human division side, the top three had now separated themselves from the pack a little. JUSTDOIT, MERLIN13, and EUROPEAN FUTBOL FAN are 1,2,3.

The separators were:

--- the NC State - Princeton game (Decided on PKs in very dramatic fashion in that NCSU was up 4-3 with either of the next two shooters able to take if for the Wolfpack, but both missed and Princeton advanced 5-4 in the 7th PK round.) 14 of the contestants lost three points to the 6 who picked Princeton.

---the Washington State - Tennessee game where Ziggy and Glove Stinks put themselves in 4th and 5th place by being two of the only three that called Wazoo to go this far.

---the Notre Dame - TAMU game where 8 contestants gained three point over the 24 who picked the Aggies.

---and the Virgina - Pepperdine match where 5 loyal Pepperdine fans mpost three points to the Virginia pickers.

However, there are still four rounds to go with lots of surprises remaining, and 3/4 of the contestantes have a realistic chance at this point of ending at or near the top of the standings.

63 JUSTDOIT
    62 MERLIN13
    61 EUROPE FB FAN
    59 ZIGGY1010
    58 CRANE65
    58 GLOVE STINKS
    58 KURT KLINE
    58 McSKILLS
    58 OLELALIGA
    58 SOCCERHUNTER
    57 GOT JUKES?
    57 INGOLDSBY
    57 KICKITHARD
    57 NORFOLK
    57 TIME&SPACE
    56 WALSCD
    56 WENDY’S
    55 CASTATE
    55 DMTHOMAS49
    54 MPR2477
    51 BIGWEST
    51 HEADSPUN
    51 PLAYSIMPLE
    49 RTD!

Over on the Machine/Poll side, things tightened and Bennet Rank picked up three points on last weeks leaders by picking Santa Clara.

60 BENNETT RANK
    59 ITRATN 5 ADJ RPI
    59 MASSEY
    59 UNTD SOC COACH
    57 ADJ NON-CONF RPI
    57 ADJUSTED RPI
    54 TOP DRAWER RANK

As a final note, Bennett Rank came in dead last in 2016 )and currently is in first and in the Human division, Walscd who is in the middle of the pack now, almost won the contest last year.

8. Soccerhunter

Soccerhunter Member+

Sep 12, 2009
    Just did the little calculation. As always, the trend is starting to show that the Machine entries will average better than the Human entries, but that the top entries from the Human division will be better than the highest Machine division score.

As of the second round, Humans have the top scores of 63, 62, and 61 while the Machine top scorer is 60.

But the average Machine score is 57.85 while the average Human score is 56.5.

9. Time&Space

Time&Space Member

Sep 15, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    Next year we should add ties.

10. Soccerhunter

Soccerhunter Member+

Sep 12, 2009
    Human Division

The third round certainly cleaned out the field at the bottom end. Those of us who voted wit our hearts got clobbered and those of you who stuck with convention are looking pretty good. I went from a fairly respectable top half position only 5 points from the leader to out of the running entirely. And poor Ziggy who had the courage to pick a contrarian bracket got totally cleaned out. But it was Kurt Kline who had the biggest jump. He leap frogged over everyone to the top spot on the back of getting 6 of the elite 8 correct.

After the fourth round, the top players will all be in eyeball range. If past experience is a guide there'll be only a half dozen or so in the running. It will be interesting to see how it pans out because there are * contestants with the exact same final four. And of those 8, 4 chose Sanford, and 2 each chose UCLA or Duke to take it all. What this means is that one or two points will likely separate the winner from the runner-up. In other words, if the winner comes from that group of 8, then the first round with only a single point per game will be the deciding factor.

91 KURT KLINE
    90 JUSTDOIT
    89 WALSCD
    88 EUROPE FB FAN
    85 CRANE65
    85 McSKILLS
    85 OLELALIGA
    84 KICKITHARD
    84 NORFOLK
    84 TIME&SPACE
    83 WENDY’S
    82 CASTATE
    82 DMTHOMAS49
    81 MPR2477
    79 GLOVE STINKS
    78 GOT JUKES?
    78 INGOLDSBY
    73 SOCCERHUNTER
    72 HEADSPUN
    72 PLAYSIMPLE
    71 MERLIN13
    70 RTD!
    66 BIGWEST
    56 ZIGGY1010

Over in the Machine division. Things remain pretty stable with Bennett still on top. But I'll venture a guess looking at the picks to come that the eventual winner will be the Adjusted Non-Conference RPI.

90 BENNETT RANK
    83 ITRATN 5 ADJ RPI
    83 MASSEY
    83 UNTD SOC COACH
    81 ADJ NON-CONF RPI
    81 ADJUSTED RPI
    78 TOP DRAWER RANK

Cheers!

11. PlaySimple

PlaySimple Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Chicagoland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I'm doing so much better in the men's contest!

12. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After the UNC-Princeton game I thought the ANCRPI might come out on top, as it picked Princeton. Interesting because statistically, it's the least reliable of the RPI-related systems and Massey, by quite a bit.

TopDrawer bringing up the rear of the machine and poll group is no surprise.:rolleyes:

13. Kurt Kline

Kurt Kline Member

Ajax
    United States
    Jun 26, 2012
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I may be in the Human division, but I have been known to have some machine-like qualities. And how did Ziggy lose points? From 59 to 56?

14. PlaySimple

PlaySimple Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Chicagoland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I agree about TopDrawer. It's a sensationalistic "publication" that is a step above the supermarket tabloids. It's total garbage that appeals to parents that yearn to see their kids mentioned in it.

TopDrawer and Holmes do have something in common, though. Both are best ignored.

15. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have a more serious thought about the Adjusted Non-Conference RPI. I have thought, and some evidence suggests the Committee thinks, that the ANCRPI is a very weak tool when it comes to NCAA Tournament seeds and at large selections. Princeton may be one case, however, where reference to the ANCRPI in the decision-making process is important. That is a case in which a mid-major team has a really outstanding non-conference record and also does well within its conference. Doing well within a mid-major isn't going to be terribly impressive, but coupling that with a very impressive non-conference season can identify the team as one that should receive consideration as a serious contender. The ANCRPI would be one of the indicators of a very impressive non-conference season. Princeton's ANCRPI rank was #8.

16. Soccerhunter

Soccerhunter Member+

Sep 12, 2009
    OK I've spent 30 minutes investigating such an error and have determined what it is..... Some how on the spreadsheet the scores were correct on the second round, but when I added the third round scores in and re-calculated, the 3 points for the UCLA win in the second round got dropped from everyone's score. So below are the correct third round scores, with everyone 3 point higher. Ziggy had 59 in the second round and has not been lowered!. (The rank order is unchanged.)

Thanks Kurt for your sharp eye!

94 KURT KLINE
    93 JUSTDOIT
    92 WALSCD
    91 EUROPE FB FAN
    88 OLELALIGA
    88 McSKILLS
    88 CRANE65
    87 TIME&SPACE
    87 NORFOLK
    87 KICKITHARD
    86 WENDY’S
    85 DMTHOMAS49
    85 CASTATE
    84 MPR2477
    82 GLOVE STINKS
    81 INGOLDSBY
    81 GOT JUKES?
    76 SOCCERHUNTER
    75 PLAYSIMPLE
    75 HEADSPUN
    74 MERLIN13
    73 RTD!
    69 BIGWEST
    59 ZIGGY1010

Also in reviewing all of the score entries, I caught another error. In the Machine Division, the Adjusted Non Conference RPI was missing 6 points for the Princeton win, bumping that calculation up to second place.

Sorry. Late night unexplained error which probably has something to do with human error.

Gilmoy repped this.
  17. Soccerhunter

Soccerhunter Member+

Sep 12, 2009
    Final Four (Comments later)

126 KURT KLINE
    120 CRANE65
    120 OLELALIGA
    119 NORFOLK
    118 WENDY’S
    117 JUSTDOIT
    113 INGOLDSBY
    109 CASTATE
    109 DMTHOMAS49
    108 WALSCD
    107 EUROPE FB FAN
    107 HEADSPUN
    107 PLAYSIMPLE
    105 GOT JUKES?
    103 KICKITHARD
    103 TIME&SPACE
    100 MPR2477
    97 RTD!
    90 GLOVE STINKS
    85 BIGWEST
    84 SOCCERHUNTER
    74 MERLIN13
    59 ZIGGY1010

Machine Division

119 ADJ NON-CONF RPI
    107 ITRATN 5 ADJ RPI
    107 MASSEY
    107 UNTD SOC COACH
    106 BENNETT RANK
    105 ADJUSTED RPI
    94 TOP DRAWER RANK

18. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

ANGEL CITY FC, UCLA BRUINS
    United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess I suck, I didn't even make the list :(

19. dmthomas49

dmthomas49 Member

Portland Thorns
    Oct 29, 2008
    Vancouver, WA
    As usual, I am in the middle.....

20. olelaliga

olelaliga Member

Aug 31, 2009
    Go UCLA!
    I actually think Stanford is the better team and beats UCLA 8/10. I am hoping for one of the two.
    Still have to get past notable competition. Will be in Florida with the kiddie soccer. Hoping to see the final

21. Soccerhunter

Soccerhunter Member+

Sep 12, 2009
    I am so sorry.... A bad cut and past job before I ordered the data. (Tried to get to you last night but the hotel wifi was not secure, and it turns out that Big Soccer will not let one log on in that situation.

As you may have surmised you are tied for second place!

22. Soccerhunter

Soccerhunter Member+

Sep 12, 2009
    Correction to scores and comment.

I've added McSkillz back into the score sheet with apologies.

Kurt Kline is on top, but is vulnerable. He is among a minority who have picked Duke to win. If they do he may win it all, but if Stanford wins it will be decided among a half dozen. Olelaliga and McSkillz are in the group of second place finishers who if UCLA takes it all ill tid for the championship . Norfolk and Crane65 will tie for the top spot of Stanford beats Duke in the final. However, if South Carolina beats Stanford, other combinations will have to be considered.

126 KURT KLINE
    120 CRANE65
    120 McSKILLS
    120 OLELALIGA
    119 NORFOLK
    118 WENDY’S
    117 JUSTDOIT
    113 INGOLDSBY
    109 CASTATE
    109 DMTHOMAS49
    108 WALSCD
    107 EUROPE FB FAN
    107 HEADSPUN
    107 PLAYSIMPLE
    105 GOT JUKES?
    103 KICKITHARD
    103 TIME&SPACE
    100 MPR2477
    97 RTD!
    90 GLOVE STINKS
    85 BIGWEST
    84 SOCCERHUNTER
    74 MERLIN13
    59 ZIGGY1010

23. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

ANGEL CITY FC, UCLA BRUINS
    United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for doing this! This was my first time participating in NCAA and strangely this prediction thing has sucked me in even more but that's what makes these contests fun I suppose. At this point, I have no idea what the results are going to be but obviously I'm hoping UCLA luck out and win over Duke who are on paper slated to be the favorites. Unfortunately I'll be away on business in this whole week without a television so I won't be able to follow the matches live but best of luck to the remaining teams and I'm glad I got to go to most of UCLA's games this season and post-season before they headed off to Florida.

24. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "On paper," Duke wins over UCLA and Stanford wins over South Carolina and Stanford wins over Duke. But, this has been a year of some pretty good upsets.

25. Soccerhunter

Soccerhunter Member+

Sep 12, 2009
    #100 Soccerhunter, Dec 1, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2017
    OK It's down to the wire!

The UCLA fans who voted with their heart are looking good! McSkillz and Olelaliga have jumped into a tie for first place (and the other two UCLA fans jumped up some notches too.) Who would have thunked that only four lonely fans would have called that match correctly?

So on the human side, the prognostication at this point distribution going forward is much simplified as only 2 (the current front runners) have picked the Bruins to take it all.

If the Bruins win then McSkillz and Olelaliga get to celebrate and have the prognosticators bragging rights until next year at this time. If Stanford prevails, then Wendy's (another of the UCLA pickers, but who switched to Stanford for the last match) will win it all followed by Crane65 who will be joined by McSkills and Olelaliga. We shall see.....

The overall trend continues with the Machine division maintaining a lead over the humans in average score (114.4 vs 111.5) but the extremes of the humans are greater whose top and bottom scores are 136 and 59 while the Machines have a range of 127 to 102.

136 McSKILLS
    136 OLELALIGA
    134 KURT KLINE
    134 WENDY’S
    128 CRANE65
    127 NORFOLK
    125 JUSTDOIT
    123 HEADSPUN
    123 PLAYSIMPLE
    121 INGOLDSBY
    117 CASTATE
    117 DMTHOMAS49
    115 EUROPE FB FAN
    111 KICKITHARD
    111 TIME&SPACE
    108 WALSCD
    105 GOT JUKES?
    105 RTD!
    100 MPR2477
    98 GLOVE STINKS
    85 BIGWEST
    84 SOCCERHUNTER
    74 MERLIN13
    59 ZIGGY1010

Over in the Machine division, things are holding steady with the adjusted Non Conference RPI entry flying high with an insurmountable lead. The fight for second will be a tie between two or three entries. If Stanford wins, then Massey and the United Soccer Coaches Poll will be second 12 points behind Non Conference RPI, but if UCLA wins, then Iteration 5 RPI will join Massey and USC Poll in a three-way tie for second place.

127 ADJ NON-CONF RPI
    115 ITRATN 5 ADJ RPI
    115 MASSEY
    115 UNTD SOC COACH
    114 BENNETT RANK
    113 ADJUSTED RPI
    102 TOP DRAWER RANK