2017 USMNT -- Revs Content

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by patfan1, Jan 5, 2017.

1. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah, well way den't yuh sey so! But yuh gut tae yuse the apostrophe to mark whass a plural. Fur essample, "Thu Revs are gunna gie up a lo' a gool's thess yeer, eff they doan replace those craaap defenduur's" :ROFLMAO:

BERich repped this.
  2. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Watching the half time show last night Lalas showed his list of guys that helped, hurt or no changed in status for the WC roster after the Gold Cup. Thought it interesting that the two best players in the first stage of the GC were Dwyer and Rowe and he listed them as players that hurt their chances

3. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
    I saw that graphic too - there were a bunch of other head scratchers so not sure what he was thinking.

Of course, they were goofing on him on air for it because of where he had Clint Dempsey, so even they thought it was a joke too.

Agudelo does not play in any of the 2nd stage games of the Gold Cup and he only subbed in for 17min in last group game. He last basically full game was 7/12 against Martinque - that was over 2 weeks ago.

What sort of rhythm and game shape will he be in? How will his pyche be - he is always saying the right things in the articles, but they do not translate onto the field - especially in the Heaps system?

How will Heaps integrate him back in to keep/lift his confidence and get him to really help - Arena had him as a forward (but clearly a backup).

4. BERich

BERich Member+

Feb 3, 2012
    New England
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I caught the tail end of that segment and saw Rowe and Dwyer listed in the hurt section, WTF! Lalas is such an idiot, the whole Fox crew are a joke. I looked for his list this morning, but didn't find it. So this makes me wonder if that list represents US soccer's thinking? If it does, I now know why we are the 35th ranked team in the world and struggle to make the world cup.

5. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
    That was definitely Lalas, and Lalas only....and that is why it was a joke.

6. BERich

BERich Member+

Feb 3, 2012
    New England
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Watching the US game last night, the wife didn't realize JeVaughn Watson played for Jamaica. She wondered why he didn't play more for the Revs. I said because he usually gets red carded. Sure enough, 5 minutes later he crunches Jordan Morris and I pointed out that that was the way he usually played.

7. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. REV IT UP

REV IT UP Member

New England Revolution
    United States
    Jul 12, 2004
    San Francisco
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do the players that were sent home after the group stage still get medals?

9. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Been wondering the same. Rowe played more than Agudelo, but Agudelo gets a medal and Rowe doesn't because he was sent home? Seems weird...

10. VTSoccerFan

VTSoccerFan Member+

New England Revolution, Vermont Catamounts, NCFC
    United States
    Jun 28, 2002
    Cary, NC
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also, Rowe scored a goal.

I wonder if the Gold Cup has any guidelines around who gets medals similar to the guidelines about how a player gets his name on the Stanley Cup?

11. REV IT UP

REV IT UP Member

New England Revolution
    United States
    Jul 12, 2004
    San Francisco
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bumping this up to talk about Rowe. Roldan from Seattle got the call up for this weeks World Cup Qualifiers. When I saw his name I sorta thought maybe he snuck in due to Rowe's injury. I would like to know where Arena has Rowe in the midfield depth chart. The timing of the injury is unfortunate, not so much because I thought Rowe would actually see the field in a WCQ, but I want to know if he was going to be brought into camp for another look or not.

dncm repped this.
  12. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
    I agree - I wonder what Rowe's status would have been too.

Of course, not really surprising that Agudelo is not called up.

A little off topic, but another player that showed some promise and was getting looks a couple of years ago - since staying with the Revs has fallen off the radar.......Fagundez for Uruguay.

Friday night - go USA!

13. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
    a517dogg repped this.
  14. rkane1226

rkane1226 Member+

Apr 9, 2000
    Club:
    Stade Brestois 29
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
    A little surprised, but then thinking about it - Arena is only calling in guys he knows and knows how he operates. My guess is Agudelo is there as a practice squad guy against the starters.

Was surprised Feilhaber called back, when Lee has been playing pretty well.

16. a517dogg

a517dogg Member+

Oct 30, 2005
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    The bizarre thing is Agudelo's listed as a midfielder.

17. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. Steve_R

Steve_R Member

Feb 25, 2001
    Somerville, MA
  19. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, but Bruce would have actually had to PLAY him if he was going to make a difference. I mean, I'm sure he's a good locker room guy and would be encouraging the other players from the bench, but there's only so much he could have done.

In other news, if we had won about 6 more games this year, we would have been in the playoffs.

20. Cannons

Cannons Member+

May 16, 2005
    I have little hope that the Arena sock puppet will do anything vastly different and for me, that means Rowe, Juan and even longer shot, Lee will get the call. Their biggest hope lies in a new coach with no ties to the current failures

21. REV IT UP

REV IT UP Member

New England Revolution
    United States
    Jul 12, 2004
    San Francisco
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well after what happened, I've done a 180 on MLS players being National Team caliber. I'd rather not see any MLS players on the roster, including Revs.

22. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We couldn't make a full squad without MLS

23. a517dogg

a517dogg Member+

Oct 30, 2005
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Yeah, MLS players just aren't of the quality necessary to beat players from the [checks Transfermarkt & Wikipedia] TT Pro League, and the Honduran and Salvadoran first divisions.

Revs in 2010, BERich and BrianLBI repped this.
  24. REV IT UP

REV IT UP Member

New England Revolution
    United States
    Jul 12, 2004
    San Francisco
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the bigger problem within CONCACAF is that American MLS players are no better or worse than non-american MLS players. It seems everyone who plays in MLS is normalized up and down to MLS skill level (whatever that may be). So when the MLS heavy USA squad goes up against the MLS heavy Jamaican squad, it's an even battle. An even battle can swing in any direction on any given day, and that's not a recipe for success.

It seems like too much of a coincidence that the USA failed to qualify for the World Cup for the first time in 7 cycles soon after Michael Bradly, Jozy Altidore, Clint Dempsey, Paul Arriola, Tim Howard, Alejandro Bedoya, came back to the league. Hell, you could even throw Jermaine Jones into that list.

25. a517dogg

a517dogg Member+

Oct 30, 2005
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Tim Howard is ancient and should not have started. Bedoya is a solid player who should have been more involved, certainly over Nagbe in an away game. Omar Gonzalez of Liga MX and Geoff Cameron of the EPL both made multiple critical errors that cost us points and qualification. It's silly to blame MLS. Both Klinsmann and Arena made dumb coaching decisions that cost us qualification and our players weren't good enough to overcome the bad coaching regimes they were under.

NFLPatriot repped this.