2017 USL - RGVFC Toros

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by newtex, Dec 1, 2016.

1. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Lots of stuff going on with the USL for 2017. Hopefully we'll get a complete list of teams soon.

Meanwhile, some news on the 2017 Toro roster.

http://www.rgvfc.com/news_article/show/728566?referrer_id=2591541

Still no announcement on a new head coach for the Toros.
    RGVFC will be moving into their new stadium in 2017.

2. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    The Toros have a head coach.

http://www.rgvfc.com/news_article/show/734663?referrer_id=2591541

Heft repped this.
  3. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
  6. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    No, he's still the Head of Youth Development.

Don't see Clarkson as the problem. He's done a lot with historically little support and resources. Also has no control over the senior side developing the talent given to them.

7. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.houstondynamo.com/post/2017/01/16/premier-development-league-soccer-headed-brazos-valley

The Houston Dynamo continued to strengthen the club’s development pipeline on Monday when the Clutch Entertainment Group announced that the Brazos Valley will have a franchise competing in the Premier Development League for the upcoming 2017 season.
    Brazos Valley will be an affiliate of the Dynamo, the first time an affiliated team will be in the area in over 60 years. The team will have a multi-year agreement with the Dynamo. Houston will have a hybrid affiliation meaning they will be responsible for selecting players and coaching staff. The hybrid affiliation is the first of its kind in the PDL. Clutch Entertainment Group, which owns the Brazos Valley Bombers, will handle the day-to-day operations of the club.

8. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    College Station is a poor choice for locating a PDL team. Out of major urban areas and no college NCAA team on the men's side to feed it. I can speculate on marketing/branding reasons to be sprinkling these teams all over the state but in terms of practical effectiveness -- which we are short on -- I don't get why you want a PDL team for poor college kids 2 hours from everywhere, except for people on a TAMU club team few of whom you probably want.

I mean, if I am home from college for the summer in Houston or Austin, this would be a huge drive for practices and games. If I go to HBU, the one D1 program in this part of the state, it's hundreds of miles away and I am a poor college kid who may need to be working for next year's college bill.

In terms of Clarkson running it, it saves money to re-task an employee without specific portfolio, not unlike when we made Barrett interim instead of looking outside. Maybe he's paid the same or maybe a slight raise, and just add that to the job. Easier on the budget.

I do see where it could be a test of sorts. System under him doesn't create first team effective players. Apologia: "no control over the senior side developing the talent given to them," as voiced above by one credulous supporter. Response: "Ok, I call your bluff, we are creating a PDL team and you get to manage your people through U23 now. No more excuses." Also has the virtue of placing him in responsibility over a team where his individual coaching value can be assessed. "He's done a lot with historically little support and resources?" Well, he gets to run the system, and he's not responsible for any one age group where his own "resources" are judged. I do wonder what the quality of the coaching beneath him is, but we are about to see what his coaching contribution is. This could be considered a lack of confidence vote.

9. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I did a little reading up on Clutch Entertainment Group. They own the Brazos Valley Bombers who have been very successful in their league. They have won the title for the last four seasons and have been ranked as one of the top Collegiate summer league teams in the country. They were named the top team in the nation in 2013 and in the top 3 in 2015 and 2016. They also lead their league in attendance.

The city of Bryan has committed $1.86 million to upgrade the facility for soccer.

Clutch Entertainment Group is also starting another college summer league baseball team in Texarkana this year that will play in the same league as the Bombers.

10. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    The website for the new Brazos Valley team shows these teams for the PDL Mid-South division:

http://www.bvsoccer2017.com/

Brazos Valley
    Houston
    Grand Prairie
    Cleburne
    OKC Energy U23
    Mississippi Brilla FC

Houston, Grand Prairie, and Cleburne would also be new to PDL. They may be existing teams in other leagues.

11. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seems odd we aren't the Houston team. Look, I'd bet a $100 we shopped this idea around until we found an owner willing to do this on their own nickel for running the club so that the Dynamo didn't have to. Just like RGV.

I do agree that Bryan makes little sense - I thought most PDL teams were in areas with local college teams or native college players.

12. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    Having the team in a college soccer city solves a few problems. Housing. If they are in the dorms for summer school, voila. If they are in an off campus apartment working, voila. If they are home with mom and dad in that city, they can stay.

The core of the team is often from the college (or one of the colleges in a bigger town). They might mix in impressive opposing players with other players people know will be in town. But the core is the people already in town for college.

As a result, if you have a handful of out of town recruits, maybe they can stay with someone. Nobody drives 2 hours for practices and games.

You put it in College Station and the only people convenienced and taken care of are local youth players or people playing for a dead end TAMU club team. The Dynamo academicians not going to TAMU have to drive 2 hours if they live in Houston, or move to College Station for the summer.

I say dead end club team because anyone playing TAMU club has basically decided they are content getting a degree and a real job and just playing amateur soccer for the balance, and don't have big ambitions. Opposite of what you want on a pro PDL team.

Also, in a normal arrangement the college may provide the practice and game fields. You don't worry about Rice going out of business. I'd be a little concerned in some arrangement with a fly by night summer league baseball team because who knows if it lasts. But I think we are too cheap and brand-minded to care.

*rey* repped this.
  13. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I suspect that the Houston team is a team that already exists in a different league. It is hard to say if they turned down the Dynamo plan or if the Dynamo didn't like them. Or if that team even exists. It is just a list on a website that has no independent confirmation.

As far as the location of PDL teams they run the gamut. The 2016 Southern Conference:

Albuquerque Sol - UNM has men's soccer
    Oklahoma City Energy U23 - no big time college men's soccer
    Mississippi Brilla - Clinton, MS does not have much of anything. Brilla is a sports-ministry organization
    Saint Louis FC U23 - lots of college soccer in Saint Louis
    ------------------------
    IMG Academy Bradendton U23 - magnet for soccer players
    Floridians FC - Fort Lauderdale, FL, part of the Miami metro area
    FC Miami City- Same thing
    Palm Beach Suns - Boca Raton, FL, same thing
    South Florida Surf - Port St. Lucie, FL, no big time college soccer
    SW Florida Adrenaline - Fort Myers, FL, no big time college soccer
    The Villages SC - The Village, FL, rural north central Florida, no big time college soccer

14. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I'll admit I don't know too much about PDL rosters so I looked at Oklahoma City U23.

Of the top 13 players in terms of minutes played, here are the breakdowns on their origins:

2 - University of the Incarnate Word (San Antonio) - both players are from England
    2 - St. Edwards University (Austin) - both from England
    2 - Southwestern Oklahoma Christian (Oklahoma City) - both players are local
    1- Virginia Tech - player from Oakland, Ca
    1 - Missouri Valley College (Marshall, MO) - player from Spain
    1 - Graceland University (Iowa) - player from Colombia
    1 - UMass - player from Mali
    1 - University of Memphis - player from Venezuela
    1 - SMU - player originally from OKC
    1 - West Texas A&M - from Dallas

So 3 of the 13 are from or go to college in Oklahoma City. The rest mostly go to college in Texas or other neighboring states. I don't know if that is typical.

15. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    #15 juvechelsea, Jan 17, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2017
    Nature of the beast with a team in a city that doesn't really have a mainstream soccer program is it will be "imports." However, in a more college team-rich environment, one simply draws upon the college teams and if someone else they can get is better, maybe they bump locals out.

For example, Anibaba went to UNC and played for Carolina Dynamo. Randi Patterson from that same team that drove us nuts, went to UNC Greensboro. etc. etc.

Sometimes the USL coach is even the college coach. Texas Lutheran's coach a while back was the coach for either SA or Austin. So the most obvious candidates for a team like that are "his own kids," people he plays against, and the people they know.

OKC isn't a big college soccer town, but they are trying to establish a pro team, so that is probably more like a holding pattern set of players they might want on the minor league team. PDL last season, ones they like back for this year.

16. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    The new Bryan-College Station PDL team has a list of finalists for their name:

http://www.bvsoccer2017.com/fanzone/

BCS United FC
    Brazos Valley Blast
    Brazos Valley Brigade
    Brazos Valley Cannons
    Brazos Valley Cavalry
    Brazos Valley Rail Runners
    Brazos Valley Stealth
    Brazos Valley Volts

17. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    Interesting that the trialists include a mix of the technically "out of contract" RGV people and people who were optioned by RGV. Curious whether that says anything about Casner and Malki.

18. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Soccergodlss repped this.
  19. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    #19 newtex, Jan 31, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2017
    2017 Toros schedule.
    Home team first.

RGV plays everyone in the West at least twice. They will play San Antonio, Swope Park, LAG2, and Sacramento three times.

Sunday, March 26
    RGV v. San Antonio

Saturday, April 1
    Tulsa v. RGV

Saturday, April 8
    OKC Energy v. RGV

Wednesday, April 12
    RGV v. Colorado Springs

Saturday, April 22
    RGV v. Tulsa

Saturday, April 29
    RGV v. OKC Energy

Saturday, May 13
    RGV v. Swope Park

Saturday, May 20
    RGV v. LA Galaxy 2

Saturday, June 3
    Sacramento v. RGV

Wednesday, June 7
    Reno v. RGV

Saturday, June 10
    RGV v. Seattle Sounders 2

Saturday, June 17
    RGV v. LA Galaxy 2

Wednesday, June 21
    Sacramento v. RGV

Saturday, July 1
    Colorado Springs v. RGV

Saturday, July 8
    Swope Park v. RGV

Wednesday, July 19
    RGV v. Orange County

Saturday, July 22
    Orange County v. RGV

Wednesday, July 26
    RGV v. Real Monarchs

Saturday, July 29
    Portland Timbers 2 v. RGV

Wednesday, August 2
    Vancouver Whitecaps 2 v. RGV

Sunday, August 6
    Seattle Sounders 2 v. RGV

Saturday, August 12
    RGV v. Phoenix

Saturday, August 19
    RGV v. Vancouver Whitecaps 2

Friday, August 25
    Real Monarchs v. RGV

Wednesday, August 30
    RGV v. Portland Timbers 2

Saturday, September 2
    LA Galaxy 2 v. RGV

Saturday, September 9
    RGV v. Sacramento

Saturday, September 16
    RGV v. Reno

Saturday, September 23
    San Antonio v. RGV

Saturday, September 30
    RGV v. Swope Park

Saturday, October 7
    Phoenix v. RGV

Saturday, October 14
    San Antonio v. RGV

20. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    We are going to have a non-Dynamo related PDL team here in Houston.

http://www.uslpdl.com/news_article/show/753359?referrer_id=2242498

The article does not say where they will play.

21. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    *rey* repped this.
  22. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
  23. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    2017 USL Schedule

Week 1

Saturday, March 25
    Louisville City FC v Saint Louis FC 1:00 pm
    Richmond Kickers v Harrisburg City Islanders 4:00 pm
    Pittsburgh Riverhounds v New York Red Bulls II 4:00 pm
    LA Galaxy 2 v Vancouver Whitecaps FC 2 4:00 pm
    Charleston Battery v FC Cincinnati 6:00 pm
    Tampa Bay Rowdies v Orlando City B 6:30 pm
    Tulsa Roughnecks FC v Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC 7:00 pm
    Swope Park Rangers v OKC Energy FC 7:30 pm
    Phoenix Rising FC v Toronto FC II 8:30 pm
    Reno 1868 FC v Orange County SC 9:00 pm
    Portland Timbers 2 v Real Monarchs SLC 9:30 pm

Sunday, March 26
    Seattle Sounders FC 2 v Sacramento Republic FC 4:00 pm
    Rio Grande Valley FC Toros v San Antonio FC 6:00 pm

BYES: Bethlehem Steel, Charlotte Independence, Ottawa Fury, Rochester Rhinos

Heft repped this.
  24. AcetheTigah

AcetheTigah Member+

Apr 6, 2005
    Woodlands, TX
    Still no word wether or not Casner has been signed to RGV

25. MannieG

MannieG Member+

Nov 30, 2006
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    These games still being streamed online?