2017 US U-20 WC Team: Career Outlooks

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Patrick167, Dec 14, 2018.

1. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    Its about a cycle past these guys playing for the U-20's, I think it'd be interesting to evaluate where we think the career's of these players are going. Its a good cycle if a few of these guys are regular contributors to the National Team.

Almost Certainly Regular NT contributors: Adams and Sargent

Potentially Regular NT contributors: Klinsman, Palmer-Brown, Carter-Vickers,

Probably a cap or two with the NT: Glad, Trusty, D. Acosta, De La Torre

Possibly a cap or two with the NT: Sabbi, Ebobisse, Lennon

Long shots to get a single NT cap: Scott, Jones, Zelalem (at least another), Saucedo, Scott

Might be out of the sport in five years: Redding, Williamson, Marcinowski, Kunga, Herrera

2. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This group still has the U-23 team to boost their stock.

3. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Or to lower it. Did anyone (think to) ask the new coach of the MNT if he had given any thought to the U-23's, the 2020 Olympic team, etc?

Winoman repped this.
  4. Tactical Hipster

Dec 23, 2014
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting you have Marcinowski so low. I thought he has been quite good for a bad San Jose team this past season. I think he was good according to the advanced analytics of keepers too: https://www.americansocceranalysis.com/keeper-xg-2018/

I know keeper stats are still being fully fleshed out and such, but I think we can hope he only gets better. I am willing to bet he starts for SJ next year over Tarbell who did not have a good season at all (statistically the worst keeper in the league). I also understand that these stats aren't everything, so grain of salt and such.

Tom Collingsworth and TimB4Last repped this.
  5. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    I think that is all on hold until they see if CONMEBOL can get the Copa America changed to 2020 and even years. If they do and the best U23 players are sent there with the senior team (7-8 guys), many of this last cycle's other U20 players will have a shot at the Olympics. Along with other guys from this current U20 cycle.

The U23 talent is starting to pile up!

TimB4Last repped this.
  6. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    The catergories lack what i think will be a new one: Former college players who can probably make more money outside of soccer so will then leave, like Brandon Vincent. I think Marcinowski could be a backup, sometime MLS starter or USL GK for five years. Especially with expansion. Just think he will finish whatever degree at Georgetown and move on.

7. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Marcinkowski started 5 of the Quakes last 6 games and the fans liked him much more than Andrew Tarbell. He's also the youngest used keeper in the league, and makes 132k a year on his "rookie" contract. I doubt he leaves the game.

8. don Lamb

don Lamb Member+

mine
    United States
    Aug 31, 2017
    - Hard to see Herrera out of the sport in five years given the minutes he has already accumulated.
    - Kunga showed real progress by the end of the season with ATL2, so he might still have a decent career.
    - Klinsmann should probably move down a peg given his competition
    - Almost Certain Contributors would include McKennie and Pulisic, who are in the pool but were not on the roster. When was the last time our U20s had to leave players off the World Cup squad because they were already deemed past that level?
    - The pool also includes Wright, Taitague, Fossey, and a couple others who were either injured, not released, or not called, but were in the picture at the time.
    - The pool also included Jonathan Gonzalez......

9. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    The guy who didn't even make Mexico's U20 qualifying roster? ;)

10. don Lamb

don Lamb Member+

mine
    United States
    Aug 31, 2017
    Yeah, the same one who's apparently made of glass...

11. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Almost Certainly Regular NT contributors: Palmer-Brown, Adams, Acosta, Sargent and Glad

Potentially Regular NT contributors: Carter-Vickers, Trusty

Probably a cap or two with the NT: De La Torre, Sabbi, Ebobisse, Lennon

Possibly a cap or two with the NT: Zelalem, Saucedo, B. Scott

Long shots to get a single NT cap: Jones, K. Scott, Marcinkowski, Klinsmann, Herrera

Might be out of the sport in five years: Redding, Williamson, Kunga

This was a very talented team. I think we'll see about 3-4 starters off of this team, and at least a few other players who play regular roles. There should also be a couple who get regular caps.

Just to give some perspective on what we saw from the 2013 and 2015 teams:

2013: 4 contributors, 3-4 starters.

2015: 10 still in the NT picture to differing degrees, 2-3 starters

Patrick167 repped this.
  12. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Acosta really concerns me. While everyone is hyping a farcical Atlanta parade/partying event the only LB in the whole system with a clear NT potential is getting black balled by dim-witted Petke.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  13. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I'd like to think that the players with the best ability will earn their NT spot eventually. Some get easier club situations than others to start out their careers. The players with the most ability usually end up the best players.

14. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I think people are putting way too many players as almost certain regular contributors and way too few as potential contributors. I can see a potential NT regular in a lot of the players. There are only 1 or 2 I can be certain of.

Almost Certainly Regular NT contributors: Adams, Sargent

Potentially Regular NT contributors: Klinsmann, Glad, Ebobisse, Lennon, Carter-Vickers, Palmer-Brown, Trusty

Probably a cap or two with the NT: Acosta, Saucedo, Sabbi, De La Torre

Possibly a cap or two with the NT: Zelalem, Herrera

Long shots to get a single NT cap: Jones, B. Scott, Marcinkowski,

Might be out of the sport in five years: Redding, Williamson, Kunga

This was a very talented team. I think we'll see about 3-4 starters off of this team, and at least a few other players who play regular roles. There should also be a couple who get regular caps.

Just to give some perspective on what we saw from the 2013 and 2015 teams:

2013: 4 contributors, 3-4 starters.

2015: 10 still in the NT picture to differing degrees, 2-3 starters

Balerion repped this.
  15. don Lamb

don Lamb Member+

mine
    United States
    Aug 31, 2017
    From my perspective, EPB has always been great defensively, but had a ways to go with the ball at his feet. Hopefully that has improved over the last season and a half, but seeing Richards play with the ball really makes me wonder how far apart those two are now even though EPB has quite a bit of experience on Richards. Glad is going to need a serious bounce back season next year to get anywhere close to the potential that he once showed. Even if he is going to get back to a top MLS level, he will need to replicate that form in a bigger league if he is to be a regular for the US.

Patrick167 repped this.
  16. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    Bello’s ceiling is far higher than Acosta’s and I think Danny’s potential is pretty good to begin with.

17. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Yes, but he is very young.

18. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I think Bello has a higher ceiling, but I don't agree that its far higher.

Bello gets hyped up by some fans as if he's Marcelo 2.0. He has parts of the game to improve on. He commits a lot of turnovers for a defender, and he struggles with positioning. Those aren't things that'll likely keep him from becoming a very good player eventually, but some fans are already saying he should be called into the NT and that he might be our best LB already (or close to it).

19. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The curse of the switch

USSoccerNova and don Lamb repped this.
  20. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    Bello is being monitored by the biggest clubs in Europe and he’s 5 years younger than Acosta. Every MLS and Euro scout would laugh in your face if you took Acosta over Bello.

At 16 y/o, nobody knew Danny Acosta existed and he was also playing CM for the RSL academy at that time.

Bello vs Acosta at both 16 y/o is so unfair to Acosta that we shouldn’t even talk about .

Again your awful fandom of certain players blinds you so much.

21. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Thats ironic because you are the one who is using over-excessive hype. I'm merely saying Bello is not some prodigy who is a sure international star, like the reputation some of you give him. You of course didn't address any of what I said because that goes against this narrative some put out there about Bello. These people never want to address that. I didn't even claim I prefer Acosta to Bello, but you seem to have missed that in your rage.

Potential is not all about who is better as a 16 year old. Players develop at different ages. Some regress, some improve. No one is arguing Acosta is better than Bello at 16. Thats besides the point of their current potential, given Acosta isn't 16, and he's improved a lot.

22. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Acosta and Carleton are now both in similar boats where we don't know much about supposed transgressions but both are being punished by their coaches / teams. Could be huge red flags or their coaches could be doing them enormous favors in the future or the coaches are being jerks and over reacting. Will be easier to tell with Carleton since Atlanta will have a new coaching staff. Acosta will have the same coach so if he's still in the doghouse a trade or release may be in order.