2017 US Open Cup - Sporting KC [R]

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by kcfooty, Jun 13, 2017.

1. SportingKCFan

SportingKCFan Member

Sep 2, 2010
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I wouldn't mind Jimmy replacing Seth for this game given that Roger will start.

2. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No way in hell Roger doesn't start in a Cup final if he's available and healthy.

3. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would.

This is a Cup final. Not a run-of-the-mill league game. You need vets on the field who know what they're doing, and Seth has played well this year. Medranda has made improvements, but he hasn't sold me yet on his ability to help us win.

4. SportingKCFan

SportingKCFan Member

Sep 2, 2010
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I am still concerned about Seth's susceptibility to being outpaced by a speedy winger and risking a card in preventing a breakaway, as the Dallas Open Cup game showed. Jimmy has improved enough to give me less concern, but he too can make a rash tackle, especially in the box. I suspect NY will sit back and rely on the counter.

5. NathanSP

NathanSP Member

Jul 3, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Odds this game goes to Pens?

6. kcfooty

kcfooty Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    GAME DAY!!!

mschofield repped this.
  7. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    The only real part of this NYRB team that scares me is BWP. I feel like even if NYRB is playing like total shit, BWP can just decide to turn the game on its head and do it. We are going to have to be very disciplined in the back (and in the midfield) to even have a possibility of a shutout here. Realistically, I see us having to score 2 or 3 to win it in regulation.

Starting to feel #TheTerror

mschofield repped this.
  8. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any chance we can sign Nags to a one-day contract, in case it goes to penalties?

mschofield repped this.
  9. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    PVs teams are silverwarewolves. When the chance at a cup is shining, they're in beast mode.
    I almost never feel good about our chances, and I do think NYRB is a version of us and can cause of problems, but I believe...

vividox repped this.
  10. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    [​IMG]

11. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At the risk of jinxing us, I really like our record in Cup finals over NYRB's. Not to mention that we haven't lost at home since a million years ago. I believe!

mschofield repped this.
  12. Beech

Beech Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's game day I confidently said to my napkin. Its a cup day my napkin slapped back at me.

kopiteinkc, vividox, Sachsen and 3 others repped this.
  13. KCFutbol

KCFutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 14, 2001
    Overland Park, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Andy, welcome back to BS.

kopiteinkc and Beech repped this.
  14. Beech

Beech Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tonight Melia has the opportunity to cross over into Nielsen and Meola territory for the club. He's been so solid, he just hasn't been fully vetted on that big game hardware. This could mean so much for his legacy and possibility for a look from the Bruce (whom needs to start looking beyond what he's got).

Tonight you start with veteran nerves until you see a mismatch where your less experienced can come in and at least run against tired legs. That is until getting close to overtime then you put in the other dinged up veteran on the bench to be clutch when he has to.... PK's included.

Sachsen repped this.
  15. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Congratulations on winning the 2017 Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup.

mschofield, kopiteinkc, KCFutbol and 2 others repped this.
  16. YilmazOrhan

YilmazOrhan Well Brian, I hit it first time...

Jun 18, 2006
    Suburbia, Kansas
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So we can win trophies without extra time and penalties. Nice!

vividox repped this.
  17. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. Blong

Blong Member+

Oct 29, 2002
    Midwest, the real one.
    Did we just lost our entire forward line to injury?

I think in 42 minutes Blessing was more involved than anyone over 90. What a bigtime performance.

mschofield repped this.
  19. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Right. Someone was lamenting that we looked toothless. I mean, duh? Hope those aren't serious injuries.

But, um, hell yeah!

20. drhoades00

drhoades00 Member

Aug 13, 2010
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Just watched the game. My thoughts:

1. As predicted Hilario was terrible. He was totally inconsistent. How does he keep getting these big games? Some guys could get mugged and no call and other times barely a touch was called. I know some of our guys are small in stature but Blessing and Gerso literally got hacked out of the game by the opposition and they got basically no punishment for it.

2. Has Kljestan always been such a giant douche?

3. WE WON A CUP IN REGULATION!!!!

kopiteinkc repped this.
  21. KC96

KC96 Member

Mar 2, 2013
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Some random thoughts:

1) Most impressive were the NY Red Bull FANS!!!!! After the game their visiting contingent stood at the SW corner outside of CMPark and sincerely applauded exiting SKC fans for the win. We applauded them back for their sportsmanship and for representing their club and sport well. Lots of high fives and handshakes. I have not seen a more uplifting sports moment in a LONG time.

2) During stoppage time I saw Rob H nearby watching the final moments of the game standing in his own corner of the field club, as excited as any fan could be. Slamming the nearby trash can when BWP scored, barely daring to look on the field during the zillion free kicks NY got, etc. He apparently can get the #TheTerror too. I LOVE having an owner that is a true fan at heart, and that lives and dies with every play.

3) Crowd electricity was tremendous from pre-kick off to painting the wall. Best full game energy since MLS Cup 2013. (The 2017 USOC quarterfinal Extra Time was memorable too, but tonight was end to end high energy). Well done KC!

4) Latif is becoming quite the two way player. A pesky bulldog on defense. A high jumping warrior on offense. Speed, ball skills. If he keeps developing, he will be something special.

5) Winning never gets old.

GO SPORTING!

Sachsen, Uppa 90, kopiteinkc and 2 others repped this.
  22. kcfooty

kcfooty Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with this comment about the travelling fans. And it extends to the NYRB team itself which stayed on the pitch in the background until the cup was raised. Class. I can imagine lots of teams packing it back into locker.

My other random note: How great was Benny's ball to Salloi? Inch perfect

Uppa 90 and kopiteinkc repped this.
  23. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Amazing game. Honestly thought NYRB had the better of the play for long spells of the game, but, for once, SKC actually countered well. Zusi's cross to Blessing and Benny's ball to Salloi were both OMGWTFBBQAMAZE balls.

I really wasn't a fan of Jesse Marsch's game plan of hacking our forwards off the field, and Grajeda sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks, but the NYRB fan support was excellent. As KC96 said above, some of the most uplifting sports moments I've seen in a long time. Top notch class acts from an incredible traveling contingent.

I can barely talk this morning, guys. Feels awesome.

Sachsen and kopiteinkc repped this.
  24. BenDover

BenDover BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 4, 2010
    Rio Verde, AZ
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some thoughts:
    1. I agree with almost all of the player ratings in this article, except one. Rubio. The article gives him a 5, but I think that is about 2 points too high. How many times did he lose the ball in the middle of RBNY players, or make some inexplicable pass when a shot was needed? His play was embarrassing at times, especially in contrast to the outstanding effort and performance by the rest of the team. Also, he could have been ejected from the game for that kick out at Felipe early in the game. Complete brain fart. https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2017...layer-ratings-unlikely-star-rises-sporting-kc

2. Great night at CMP. Fabulous atmosphere. I got into the stadium an hour before kick-off and the members stand was full and singing loudly. We could even hear them from the parking lot. Very cool.

3. Met some Red Bull supporters after the game and had a good exchange. Nice folks.

4. Red Bull’s controlled a lot of the stats including possession. They came in prepared and played a tough game. Props to them.

5. Grajeda is still an aweful ref.

Sachsen and mschofield repped this.
  25. KCFutbol

KCFutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 14, 2001
    Overland Park, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I echo what has been previously said about the traveling Red Bull fans. Classy group. I hope they had a similar good experience with SKC fans.