2017 US Open Cup Round #4: Union v City Islanders, June 14, 2017 p/d/p (R)

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Union' started by cwelch999, Jun 11, 2017.

?

Predict The Outcome: Union v. City Islanders

Poll closed Jun 14, 2017.
  1. Win

75.7%
  2. Loss

24.3%
  1. Handsome Pete

Handsome Pete Member+

May 16, 2011
    Minneapolis
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    These games were hard enough to get excited for when I lived there and had tickets.

2. aztec21bas

aztec21bas BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 24, 2009
    Mullica Hill, NJ
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not me. Sorry, I love the Open Cup. Some of the most fun games that I've been to. The early round games are a bit of a tough sell, with HCI coming every year. The Rhinos and Cosmos game were a blast though!

3. thomas19064

thomas19064 Member+

Apr 29, 2008
    Delco
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Glad I'm not the only one... was feeling like I was on an Island caring about this game. Obviously Harrisburg isn't sexy, but I still love the Cup games.

4. Handsome Pete

Handsome Pete Member+

May 16, 2011
    Minneapolis
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm in the "can't get excited about the same teams year after year" camp.

Dills repped this.
  5. Starpork

Starpork Member+

Nov 12, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Whut about every eastern conference team TWICE a year?

jaykoz3, thomas19064 and Handsome Pete repped this.
  6. mattylip

mattylip Member+

Philadelphia Union
    Jul 22, 2011
    Cherry Hill (127, D)
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't understand the reasoning that the game is meaningless or not fun to attend. It's a great opportunity to see guys who may not usually play for the Union get some minutes.

Also, it features an opponent that is hungrier than most Wednesday night opponents. This may be the best opportunity all season for some HCI players to get exposure to MLS coaches and scouting. Remember how well Brian Sylvestre played in the USOC against the Union a few years back? That earned him an MLS contract.

The game has a great story line with two (one and a half??) former Union strikers on HCI. Remember when everyone got angry when the Union protected Fabinho over Ribeiro? For a bag of balls and a block of hotel rooms, the Union could have both players now if they really wanted.

It could go 120 or to PKs which always is exciting.

And, the game is guaranteed to have one unique and unprecedented weather event.

I'm in!

unionrules and thomas19064 repped this.
  7. Handsome Pete

Handsome Pete Member+

May 16, 2011
    Minneapolis
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wish the Union saw every team twice a year.

Phillyspur repped this.
  8. Starpork

Starpork Member+

Nov 12, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    If we had pro/rel we could even play USL teams in off years!

thomas19064 repped this.
  9. thomas19064

thomas19064 Member+

Apr 29, 2008
    Delco
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    • 40 team MLS
    • 4 divisions of 10
    • 2 conferences
    • 38 game schedule
    • every team in division twice. (home/away)
    • every team in opposite division of same conference once. (alternating home/away yearly)
    • 10 games against teams in a division of the opposite conference. (alternating divisions and home/away for a full home/away cycle taking 4 years)

It's a long ways off but it will happen some day. take it to the bank.

Handsome Pete repped this.
  10. Handsome Pete

Handsome Pete Member+

May 16, 2011
    Minneapolis
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now that would keep things fresh. Honestly I get the limitations in travel and whatnot with the USOC. But aren't there teams in New England? Virginia? Carolinas?

11. Starpork

Starpork Member+

Nov 12, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I think they have to take a serious look at it because some of the MLS teams get screwed by playing other MLS teams in the first round or competitive NASL teams like the Cosmos, while teams like the Union waltz in by playing AT BEST our former USL affiliate in the first round.

lopezzzz and Handsome Pete repped this.
  12. thomas19064

thomas19064 Member+

Apr 29, 2008
    Delco
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #37 thomas19064, Jun 13, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2017
    those teams exist, but most didn't make it to this point... you could maybe make an argument for us to host Christos (out of Baltimore) but it does make more sense for a small team like that and/or Richmond to face DCU than the Union. North Carolina is in play and hosting Houston, I guess that's another spot you could draw from, and then toss the Islanders to a NY team, but then you have a texas team paired with the remaining NY team instead of a "bonus" NY derby.

The other factor is probably that the organizers see more value in making the odds of a Cincy v. Columbus, Tampa v. Orlando, or a Cosmos v. Red Bulls/NYCFC more of a sure thing than being worried about us drawing Harrisburg a few years in a row. I agree it's a bit boring, but I get it, and I'm not convinced it's the wrong approach.

1st round match-ups year after year... it's actually not as bad I was expecting to be honest:

2017: Harrisburg
    2016: Harrisburg
    2015: Rochester
    2014: Harrisburg
    2013: Ocean City
    2012: Rochester
    2011: DC United (qualifier)
    2010: Red Bulls (qualifier)

Honestly we should be happy we got Harrisburg, had the Cosmos gone through odds are we'd have drawn either NYCFC or the Red Bulls.... that's not the sort of spice I want.

I guess we're a bit unlucky that Harrisburg always seems to perform well enough to make it to the MLS round and beyond, so we perceive it as worse. Had Chattanooga beaten the Islanders last year, or Baltimore beat them in 2014 it may be a different attitude. Even playing Reading this year wouldn't be as much of a downer.

13. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Say what?? You mean the biggest global brand in american soccer? The same global brand that lost to Reading United, an amateur side?

Sure it'd be great if the draw wasn't regional and was just random like the FA Cup.......except that would have detrimental affects on the competition. It's difficult enough as it is to get most MLS teams to take the comp seriously. If they went back to the random match ups.....Those cross country trips will make MLS teams even more likely to field a B side then they already are.

Phillyspur and thomas19064 repped this.
  14. drewuke

drewuke Member+

Jul 19, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I love the Open Cup, but the travel restrictions went way too extreme to the other side.

lopezzzz, buzzkiller23 and Handsome Pete repped this.
  15. Starpork

Starpork Member+

Nov 12, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    It doesn't bother me that MLS teams run out B-teams. That's what early round cup matches are for, and certainly by the quarterfinals every remaining team is taking it seriously.

buzzkiller23 and Handsome Pete repped this.
  16. SOBtilIdie

SOBtilIdie Member

Feb 14, 2010
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A work around is to have the MLS teams play on the round when they enter the tournament. This limits costs for the lower league teams. Its on the MLS teams to be competittive, and if you throw your B or C team out then you are increasing your risk for a loss. Thats on the manager.

This would help increase the matchups. Maybe limit it to a close to a East/West earlier on.

17. celt1997

celt1997 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 31, 2006
    Philly Burbs
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really wish I knew how a lot of you guys with kids/families do it. I had all the plans ready to go for tonight but just realized with Summer Camp pickups, etc. it's not going to happen. Add in the fact that the Blue Route on a Wednesday takes about 90 extra minutes for me, there is no way a 7:30 start works.

Sunday is Father's Day, so we'll be visiting & hosting, so that's another miss.

Over the last 3 seasons I think I've managed 40%-50% of the home games, if I've been lucky. With the team being garbage, I can't even break even on the tickets I don't use.

Really starting to get bummed that this all points to the fact that my Season Tickets (which are the best seats in the house IMO) aren't creating any sort of value for me, and I should probably just give them up. :(

Have fun tonight everyone! Cup matches are always a blast. I'll be doing parental things and then rushing home to try and watch the stream.

18. Coonpath

Coonpath Member

Jun 24, 2010
    Shamong, NJ
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    It's funny you say that because I will be doing that instead of going to this match.

Scottj10 repped this.
  19. Phillyspur

Phillyspur Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Mar 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Wish I could go... enjoyed the atmosphere of these games in the past.

20. thomas19064

thomas19064 Member+

Apr 29, 2008
    Delco
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm just a bad Dad.

21. Starpork

Starpork Member+

Nov 12, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Me: Come to the game with me
    Pregnant wife: No, I'm OK staying home
    Me: I'll even pay for parking close to the stadium so you don't have to walk so far
    Her: Oh, OK! What time do we need to leave?

Haha

OwlSaver, cwelch999, drewuke and 2 others repped this.
  22. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    *forwards Mrs. Starpork the "free parking" email just received from Ticket Rep*

thomas19064, Starpork and celt1997 repped this.
  23. Starpork

Starpork Member+

Nov 12, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I also promised her Richie would play. Fingers crossed.

24. Cherry Hill SOB

Cherry Hill SOB Member+

Aug 30, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I feel your pain Celt. I'm the only sports fan in the house and have been fortunate to get to about 50% of the games. Have great seats so I can usually find someone to take the games I can't make and even have a few buddies I can sell games to for face value but certainly not for a profit. Getting harder to make the effort to get there without a more exciting offering on the pitch. Hope to catch the stream after parenting duties completed but I may have to put some time in building up the matrimonial bonds that allow me to get away to more games later this season.

For all those going tonight hoist cold one for those of us who have fallen.:unsure:

Dills, celt1997 and cwelch999 repped this.
  25. LuckyStriker

LuckyStriker Member+

Favorite club? a German one..........
    Apr 14, 2010
    in exile-Statute of Limitations yet to expire
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    so good to see Charlie Davies is, in fact, alive................