2017 UCLA

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by Persin, Feb 10, 2017.

1. Forgedias

Forgedias Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Since I wasn't able to watch this game. I did want to look at the starting line up because this is a game that Coach Amanda Cromwell would probably start her core starters since the previous matches, she was using a lot of the rookies and blooding them against weaker teams to give them game minutes.

Teagan Micah is a no brainer. She has played every minute last season and is doing so this season.

The defense was lead by Kaiya McCullough played the full 90 and Karina Rodriguez played 78, Gabrielle Matulich 85 and Mackenzie Cerda 58. None of this is surprising, Kennedy Faulknor was given some minutes as well but with just 2 games in the season for her, she wasn't going to be given any big minutes.

The midfield had Jessie Fleming playing the full 90. Delanie Sheehan 75 Claire Winter 59 and Zoey Goralski 60. Goralski who is a great right back can also play as a wing player. Sheehan already cementing her role in the midfield is very good to see. There is obvious some trust that Sheehan can do what the coaching staff wants. Sheehan is great at being a linking player and using her football IQ to create space for herself. Good to see the coaches see that. Winter of course is the holding mid that UCLA likes to have on the pitch. Viva Villacorta and Olivia Athens got some significant minutes as well. Villacorta with 48 and Athens with 34 which is excellent to see since its against a good team and this will only help grow their game as freshman.

Forwards has Hailie Mace and Ashley Sanchez. And I think this is a fine duo. Mace even though she is so direct, she is a big forward and a good target for headers. The one I really am keen on is seeing Sanchez get more and more minutes for UCLA. Mace played 78 and Sanchez 76. All you have to do is look at the highlights of the Virginia game and you see what this girl can do. She is a phenomenal awareness about her and having 2 players like that with Fleming and Sanchez is going to create a monster team on the pitch. Both these players will help the team create and have the offense flow between the 2 of them. The other players will buy into what they are trying to do and follow their example.

Sunny Dunphy and Julia Hernadez got only a few minutes since they were sharing them with Mace and Sanchez but I am fine with this. Dunphy probably will have to come in as a sub player since Mace has taken the other forward spot. And Hernadez, even though she has 5 goals. She has scored them in such a selfish fashion that there is no way I want to see more minutes given out to her. Doesn't combine with any team mates and when she gets the ball, she tries to score right away even when she should be passing the ball up but she wants to be the starter and the only way she knows is to attack the goal. Doesn't matter if she keeps losing the ball and making poor attacking decisions. So I was happy to see her minutes be a lot lower.

Annika Rodriguez minutes were a lot lower then usual. Just 23 minutes and that is interesting since Goralski is taking those minutes from her. Matulich has played her way onto the field. She can play either left or right back for UCLA and with Cerda playing so well on the left flank. Trying to fit Goralski in meant taking minutes away from Rodriguez which is telling. I've criticized Rodriguez for her lack of linking with other players. She tries to constantly dive forward with the ball, get into the box and then either take a shot or if she is forced too, then pass. Which really was stopping the offense. You don't see Fleming or Sanchez do this. Its why both players have so many assists to their name. They are constantly looking to create and make space for other players. Something that Rodriguez should try to focus on.

Over all I really like the line up that Coach Cromwell brought out this game.

McSkillz repped this.
  2. olelaliga

olelaliga Member

Aug 31, 2009
    I watched it too.
    Sanchez was outstanding. Flemming was somewhat quiet as the announcers said in the first half, but I watched her specifically (by far my favorite collegiate player) in the second half. She was popping up everywhere. Coming back to defend at their 18. picking the ball up deeply, always seemed to be an option for the player on the ball- unbelievable work rate. Also of course, carrying forward and yes with the co-assist on the second goal (Sanchez's flick over the last line was terrific). I can't remember for sure if Fleming ever lost possession and most of the time she put her team in a more advantageous position after she relinquished it. She played a beautiful diagonal to one of the forwards late in the second half that should have put her through, but that's just one example. On the other hand, Anika Rodriguez is struggling in Flemming's shadow.

Virginia I completely agree put tons of pressure on in the first 10. They lacked the finisher to take control of the game. I don't think any of their forwards are particularly dangerous and their attacking mids are similarly lacking a final bite. It is as if Swanson picked the kids with decent footskills and great vision, but forgot to add the last ingredient of finishing bite. I think one or two of his commits for next year may help in that regard will see if their games translate to the higher level. Both Jarrett and Spaanstra are known for their goal scoring abilities.

McClernon was very good in the back, but let Sanchez slip behind her for the first goal. I put that as much on the first year Ivory for not calling out the danger because Sanchez hovered off McClernon's blind side long enough for someone to have noticed. The second goal was almost undefensable.

3. olelaliga

olelaliga Member

Aug 31, 2009
    I would also add, that I think the UCLA attack is the most sophisticated and effective of any I have seen so far. I have watched a lot of college games. They have an obviously terrific combination in Sanchez and Flemming and adding Mace as the direct target to stretch the field allows the other two work their magic underneath. I have never been a Rodriguez fan. Could never understand her choice as the "10" in her YNT WC or qualifying (can't remember if her age failed to qualify) appearance. Jury is out yet on her sister although again I wasn't impressed by anyone except Sanchez in the U17 WC. I also thought Sanchez outplayed Pugh in the u20s.

4. bigwest

bigwest Member

Mar 8, 2017
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    have to admit, watching that game last night, it was perhaps the most entertaining and example of how good the women's game should be. My hope is that other schools have this game on tape to show their players..

Jamaicanadian, McSkillz and olelaliga repped this.
  5. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    The first half was entertaining as their were chances on both sides. UCLA controlled the second half--more so than I would have expected after seeing the first. Fleming was a joy to watch--and that second UCLA goal was an illustration of their quality in transition. This is a team that you do not want to give much space to. Mace is a strong, fast kid. They are not very physical and that might be a vulnerability against teams that have some muscle and some ball skills--but they're aren't many teams like that.

6. AnsonBlonde

AnsonBlonde Member

Jul 27, 2007
    The game can be seen on replay at WatchESPN.

7. Forgedias

Forgedias Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Flemming was somewhat quiet as the announcers said in the first half, but I watched her specifically (by far my favorite collegiate player)

Yup same. Fleming has become my favorite college player to watch. This is the football I want to see more of, not the physical beat your player with the ball type player. Creativity and combining with other players.

She was popping up everywhere. Coming back to defend at their 18. picking the ball up deeply, always seemed to be an option for the player on the ball- unbelievable work rate.

Pretty sure Coach Cromwell allows Fleming a lot of latitude to do what she feels is right. She can go on the offense or track back and spend time help the defense win balls. She does a lot of box to box work for UCLA which is very similar what she does for her national team. Most freshman when they come onto a team will have a specific role they have to adapt to. If they prove they can expand that role, then the coach can use them in different ways. But having Fleming play as a box to box midfielder and be everywhere is not normal for any player in college. Its a very demanding role to play and you rarely ever see box to box midfielders in the pro game. There just isn't many out there.

On the other hand, Anika Rodriguez is struggling in Flemming's shadow.

I Think Annika Rodriguez has been trying too hard. She was actually the starting 10 position for UCLA last year. Fleming missed the first 3 regular season games because she was at the Rio Olympics and when she came to the UCLA campus, she didn't get any practices in. She was at UCLA for 3 days before she subbed in for the Florida game and scored 2 goals. For most of the season, Rodriguez played the 10 role until it was the Utah game. When I saw the game, I noticed Fleming wasn't playing out wide anymore but she was in the middle, holding the ball and controlling the offense. That is when the switch happened.

I don't think Rodriguez was bad for UCLA last year. But the offense flowed through Fleming whenever she had the ball. You had far more offense possessions, and quality attacking chances by the play making of Fleming. Now this year, Rodriguez got moved to the wing but she has played very different then last year. She is constantly trying to push the ball forward into the attacking zone and into the box to get shots off and if not, she will then make a pass. But at this point, you have defenders in the box, blocking passing lanes and shot attempts. It forces bad passes and turn overs and just stops of the offense.

I get Rodriguez wants a place on the starting 11, but she can't force it like she has been doing this season. Delanie Sheehan has been a huge surprise for me. She is a freshman but doesn't act it. She has awareness about her using her head to think about how the run of play is breaking down. This is HUGE. When a player begins thinking like this, then you create offense chances because she finds space for passes to get to her and can create space for others to make runs. Sheehan not only becomes an asset on the attack, but she also becomes a linking player to have the offense flow through her. Its huge having such a player for UCLA. Sheehan got that assist on Ashley Sanchez goal. Wonderful lofted ball into the box that allowed Sanchez to run too. That is the stuff that Rodriguez isn't doing or even optioning to. And that is probably a BIG reason why Rodriguez is losing her starting spot. She isn't creating options for herself on the attack.

8. Forgedias

Forgedias Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Fleming and Sanchez are a pass first type of player. They are always looking to create for their team mates and combine with them. That is the HUGE difference between other college teams. When you have young players buying into the system that a coach wants to establish. You typically will see players trying to go as direct as they can because that is how they learnt it when they were in their academy. They could get away with it because they were solo beating their defenders on their own. Doesn't necessary work that way now against other good teams. Defenders can man up and defend the player now. So its about as you say sophistication of the player. Have they learnt to play without the ball. Off ball movement that term is thrown around a lot. Its what the players does without the ball helping create space by dragging defenders with them or knowing when to make a run so the player with the ball can then feed them the ball on the run of play.

Stuff like this isn't necessary a given for a new college player sadly. Terms like football IQ and creativity get thrown around but Fleming and Sanchez actually show what creativity means and are going to evolve the UCLA offense in so many ways. Its going to be a HUGE pleasure to watch these 2 play together because they have the chemistry to feed off each other already. Its only going to get better for the future.

9. Forgedias

Forgedias Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Maybe WWC Movement could offer to upload the game via Youtube for non ESPN subscribers.

10. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Love your posts Forgedias! Just curious who your favorite college team is, I remember a few years back you had an SEC thread but lately you've been on here. Regardless I enjoy your informative posts.

11. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

ANGEL CITY FC, UCLA BRUINS
    United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like I started following UCLA soccer at just about the right time! This team is very fun to watch and it helps that they haven't lost yet! I didn't know college teams could establish such a sophisticated passing game but I stand corrected! It looks like coach Cromwell is doing pretty well with the roster of some very talented players, it's almost an embarrassment of riches. I don't know much about the coach backstory but I'm sure she will do just as well as coach Jill Ellis. My only concern is probably the defense should improve. The few times we aren't possessing the ball, my mind isn't comforted in seeing these defenders, no offense to them. We have only had one shut out this season and I can't figure out if thats a good sign or a bad sign. Our offense is on fire though, if we can outscore everybody then maybe we don't need to worry about our defense.

12. Forgedias

Forgedias Member

Mar 5, 2012
    I used to watch a lot of Florida but the Pac 12 and ACC were also conferences I watch as well. I pretty much watch UCLA every time they play. Its because of Jessie Fleming. There hasn't been a player like Fleming in college in maybe forever. Her tactical smarts. her ability to create for other people, and her ability to score incredible goals. She does everything.

I love watching teams that play creative, attacking football. Players that can think on the field and combine with players even if they don't have the ball. Florida was good at doing this. But UCLA under Cromwell are very technical and with Fleming and now with Sanchez. they have been a joy to watch.

The game that really got me hooked on UCLA was the match last season against USC. Fleming was all over the pitch and she was a highlight through out the game. Even though she didn't factor in the goal that got scored, she was the best player on the pitch. She regularly had 2 players marking her all game long. Kayla Mills who now plays for Skyblue FC was literally trying to body tackle Fleming off the ball and Fleming actually put both hands down on the field recovered her footing and dodged another tackle and nutmeged another player and sent a shot on goal. She also had another sequence where she beat Savnnah Levin to a ball at the touch line. She did this sliding tackle and out fought Levin for the ball. Was so impressed with her willingness to win balls.

I already was a fan of Jessie Fleming before she committed to UCLA with her Olympic performance but with UCLA she is just blossoming, and this became her team. The team is built around her with her driving the offense and watching her play has me hooked.

13. Forgedias

Forgedias Member

Mar 5, 2012
    The defense has some of us worried as well so we'll have to see how they evolve through out the season. There definitely have been mistakes back there.

Even in the 2013 season when they had players like Sam Mewis, Kaitlyn Rowland, Megan Oyster, Ally Courtnall, Sarah Killion. 4 of these 5 players are still playing in the NWSL which shows the talent of that roster. Even with that roster, I wasn't invested enough to watch them play. But this team with the talent they have could be some of the best to play for UCLA. Partly because of Jessie Fleming. I was already committed to watching Fleming play last season but also the style of football that UCLA plays. A lot of attacking, combining and build up. Not keen on watching players try to beat other players 1v1 and then fail at it and you get turn overs and constantly skirmishing in the midfield for long balls. Just not attracted to soccer played that way.

On the equalizer website, everyone knows who Jessie Fleming is so her skill is not in question with the community. Its whether she could impose her play style on the rest of the team and have them buy in was the big question mark. And the fact that she has the 10 role, and is central to the offense is very good to see. With her and Sanchez, they will form the core of the UCLA soccer team and not saying a championship is coming this year. They have to beat Stanford for me to buy in until then. But I still believe they need another year before they can challenge because of how young they are. But I think it will happen. This team plays the most attractive style of football in college and its a joy to watch.

Kurt Kline repped this.
  14. Forgedias

Forgedias Member

Mar 5, 2012
    #114 Forgedias, Sep 16, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2017
    UCLA draws with Pepperdine 1-1

Though it shouldn't of been a draw, UCLA should of won this match if not for a disallowed goal on a wrong call for an offside.

I'm going to say I have to question some of the substitutions done by Coach Cromwell this game but I can see why she wanted to try these moves but at 1-0? Not exactly sure why she wanted to take that risk. UCLA did start with their line up that featured Sanchez, Mace and Goralski up top, Fleming, Sheehan, Winter in the midfield and McCullough, Rodriguez, Cerda and Matulich at the back.

To start it off, Pepperdine basically came out with a bunker defense. They basically sat back and allowed UCLA to knock the ball back and forth between the defense and didn't press much. This meant that UCLA had a lot of possession but only a few good looks on goal in the first half. The best look was right at the end of the half, Ashley Sanchez would dribble through 2 defenders and get a cross off and Villacorta would actually get a foot on the ball and score. But it was called offside which was the wrong call since there was a Pepperdine defender defending the line, so how is that offside? In fact the referee's didn't have a good night, there was a hand ball right near the Pepperdine box that they didn't see either. To illustrate how hard they were bunkering in, they didn't register a single shot on goal in the first half. That is how much defending they were doing.

Then the second half started. UCLA actually came out in a very strange line up with Fleming as the holding midfielder and Annika Rodriguez as the 10 in the midfield. They didn't have either Winter or Canales in and you could see Fleming playing very deep in the defensive side for UCLA. I didn't like that formation at all. UCLA did score early in the second half with a long ball that put Haile Mace through and she beat the keeper. But otherwise you had Rodriguez taking most of the touches and either spraying the ball wide in her passes or trying to attack into the box and not doing much with it. She did get a shot off but the keeper saved it. Btw the Pepperdine keeper had a really good game. Brielle Preece played actually pretty amazing. She stood on her head for some of those saves she made.

Despite all this, UCLA was still able to keep most of the possession and Pepperdine were forced to open up and attack to equalize which they would do when Cromwell subbed Fleming out and they scored while she was off the field. Which is strange since she subbed Winter back in. It was off a corner kick and the ball was bouncing in the box and the goal actually went through Teagan Micah legs which in my opinion was a bad goal. Micah isn't an athletic keeper, you can tell how she is slow moving around. At the pro level, to stop those goals, you have to make a kick save and Micah she simply can't make them. Her reaction time is too slow.

Right after this Fleming gets subbed back in but even then UCLA had a hard time trying to force the ball up the field since they had less then 10 minutes left. Pepperdine was playing for the draw and constantly was booting the ball away forcing UCLA to chase.

Then overtime happened. And this is where Preece, the Pepperdine keeper came into her own. She would make 3 stellar saves off Mace who beat 2 defenders to run onto a ball and got a good shot off on Preece, then Fleming who made a diving header and Preece grabbed it out of the air and then off Sanchez where Sanchez would beat 1 or 2 defenders, get close to the 6 yard line to get a shot off, but Preece would parry the ball and send the ball over the cross bar.

Then in the second half, Fleming almost ended the game when she got a ball from Mace who made another run, pulled 2 defenders to her and Fleming was right in the box and she missing the upper corner of the net. That was agonizing to watch.

Other then the 3 saves in the first overtime, Preece was the MVP, she made several other good saves, another great save on Mace previously. The only bad thing is UCLA should of won this match instead of us watching the Preece heroics. That disallowed goal burnt UCLA hard because that should of been a goal and how can the linesman miss that? There was a defender defending the line. You can't call that offside! I just can't understand that horrible referring. That was ugly.

Other then that, I think Coach Cromwell should not be putting Fleming as the holding mid. The entire offense sputtered to a stop with Fleming playing the defensive mid. Plus I am thinking Cromwell needs to go back to last season's formation where Fleming played as the deep or false 9 position for UCLA. 4-3-3 but Fleming slots in as the center forward. Late in the game and in overtime, Fleming moved up to the 9 role and the offense for UCLA came alive. I don't know why UCLA isn't playing Fleming at the 9 to help move the offense. Fleming should get as many touches as she can. And Annika Rodriguez should not play central midfield. She wasn't bad last year but this year, I don't know what is going on with her. She is so focused on pushing the ball up and not linking with her team. Its like she wants to be the one to score and force the issue but if your not linking, then your limiting your options on the offense and that is what Rodriguez is doing right now.

15. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    You think Fleming should be playing more center forward (9) as opposed to 10--center/attacking mid? Don't see that.

16. FreshPow

FreshPow New Member

United States
    Jun 12, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Somebody call the Waaaaambulance! 1-1 draw with arguably the best roster in the country! LOL!

17. Glove Stinks

Glove Stinks Member+

Jan 20, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    So I assume you have had the opportunity to watch the disallowed goal on replay. The AR made a very proper and frankly easy call as Villacorta was clearly in an offside position as Sanchez played the pass/shot
    I tend to agree with the rest of you thorough breakdown and think this will act as a wake up call ahead of heading out to Colorado this weekend

18. Persin

Persin Member

Sep 7, 2015
    "Yeah, well, y'know, that's just, like, uh, your opinion, man."

FreshPow repped this.
  19. Glove Stinks

Glove Stinks Member+

Jan 20, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Video doesn't lie

Attached Files:

FreshPow repped this.
  20. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Heh! And I count all ten orange field players (+ gk in black), so there cannot be an 11th defender on the goalline hugging right post off the edge of the view!

Pepperdine's bunker extends out to their own penalty mark :eek:

FreshPow repped this.
  21. Forgedias

Forgedias Member

Mar 5, 2012
    #121 Forgedias, Sep 22, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2017
    UCLA wins 2-0 over Colorado University in their first conference match of the season.

Ashley Sanchez would get her second goal of the season and pick up an assist as well. Sunny Dunphy would score her first goal of the season.

UCLA came out in a 4-4-2 formation with Mace and Sanchez up top. Fleming, Winter, Villacorta and Sheehan in the midfield and McCullough, K. Rodriguez, Cerda and Goralski on defense.

Villacorta would actually spend some time playing as the holding mid when Winter would get subbed out late in the first half. In the second half the formation would change with Sunny Dunphy slotting in up top and Hailie Mace would then slot in as the holding mid. Annika Rodriguez would sub in later in the first and start in the second. Fleming, McCullough and K. Rodriguez would play the full 90 for UCLA.

Over all I didn't have any problems with this formation since it gives Dunphy a chance to play in her role and she actually had a good game. Played mostly wide and was available for passes.

Takeaways from the game:

Colorado didn't press too much in the beginning, preferring to keep UCLA in front of the ball and when either Fleming or Sanchez ever had the ball, they usually had 2 or 3 markers on them immediately trying to force them to pass the ball off and not attack with it. It was very evident how they were playing because when ever Sanchez would try her trade mark dribble into the box, 2 Colorado defenders would try to front her forcing her to pass the ball off.

Colorado also played a very physical game. A lot of clutching and grabbing by their players. Both Fleming and Sanchez were constantly jersey pulled whenever they had a chance to make a run with the ball. Cynical fouls but it only worked to a point. Once Sanchez scored in the second half, Colorado had to open up to find the equalizer and then wide open space was available for Fleming and Sanchez and this is where yellow cards were issued to players for grabbing. Alex Vidger in fact would pick up 2 yellows, Both from Fleming and Sanchez and get a red in the end. There was in fact some controversy in that the Colorado Keeper Tomkins was forced to grab Sanchez right outside the box when she had a clear break away and some question if that was a last man penalty could of been called and a straight red card could of been issued.

For her part Ashley Sanchez had a sublime game. She was connecting with her midfield, not trying to force runs and being very unselfish with her passes. Always looking to create first instead of score. And was rewarded for her being at the right spot to pot in her 2nd goal. The assist was a perfect pass to Dunphy who one timed it into goal.

I think the back line also played very well. Pretty much contained Kornieck who towered over everyone on the field. She actually had a chance to score a goal on one of the few dangerous chances that Colorado had but it rang off the cross bar.

I didn't like how Annika Rodriguez played. She had an assist on the Sanchez goal but she was lucky to get that ball to Sanchez because she did her normal routine where she charged into the box and tried to beat her defender. She actually lost the ball, recovered it and then had to beat another defender to get the pass off. She was lucky in that regard. Then there were times where she was forcing it. She had a 2v2 with Cerda and Cerda did a crossing pattern with her to break her defender from her. Cerda got open on the wing and instead of passing to an open Cerda, Rodriguez charged her defender trying to beat her and lost the ball. And you know what? I knew she was going to take that choice and not link with Cerda. She did the same thing in another instance where she was at the by line and had an option to cross the ball in. She chose to dribble at the keeper and fire a shot from the by line. Your not scoring when the keeper has the inside post covered.

Then the penalty kick. UCLA earned a PK off a hand ball and this is where I have so many problems with Rodriguez, she wanted to take the penalty kick. I really expected Fleming to take that penalty kick but again Rodriguez seems to be on a mission to prove that she should start the games. And what do you think happens? She walks up to the ball and very predictably places the ball to where the keeper can react and guess where the ball was going. It was an easy save and made you face palm. That was a horrible shot, it was slow, easy to read for the keeper. She is so hell bent on proving she is a starter that she is actually hurting her team more. I'm hoping Fleming is given those PK's from now on.

Credit to Colorado, they did keep it close for over a half. They played very tight defense and keyed on the play makers and tried to bottle them up. It only worked for so long but you could see their game plan.

22. Glove Stinks

Glove Stinks Member+

Jan 20, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    UCLA controlled the Buffs for the better part of the game. CU seemed to tyr to play a defensive/bunkering/counter the way Pepperdine did. They had some opps with the crossbar and an equivilent handball that was called against CU but not on UCLA. But at the end of the day, the UCLA defense/keeper had little pressure thru the game. 2-0 was a legit result

23. Forgedias

Forgedias Member

Mar 5, 2012
    UCLA wins 2-0 over the Oregon University

Goals by Annika Rodriguez and Hailie Mace

Game was broadcast only through internet radio so making any judgments about the game will be hard. .

UCLA had most of the possession, most of the shots, and had many more shots on frame. The Ducks keeper Hinriksdottir by the sounds of it had a stellar game. Made several great saves to prevent more goals.

So a good performance by UCLA from what I was hearing.

Glove Stinks repped this.
  24. Persin

Persin Member

Sep 7, 2015
    From the sound of it, Annika played a pretty good game.

25. olelaliga

olelaliga Member

Aug 31, 2009
    believe it when I see it