Review: 2017 U-20 World Cup: Tournament Takeaways

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by ussoccer97531, Jun 4, 2017.

1. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    We should have just played our U17 team instead of our U20 team. They would have won the tournament. :rolleyes:

2. eainterplay

eainterplay Member

May 11, 2008
    Alabama
    Club:
    Rangers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He can sign when he turns 18 in February, but they will not be able to register him until July. So, essentially he will just be training at whatever club he signs with until the start of the next season. I believe unregistered players are able to play in u19 games in Germany, but I am not sure. It wouldn't be the worst thing in the world for him to be playing U19 matches from Feb. until the next season.

3. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    They aren't able to play in games, unless the rule has changed in the last year or two. I'm not even sure if they can register him and he can train with the team for the rest of the season, although you might be right.

4. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    He has time to sign a short contract with an lower league team. Like Wright and Taitague did. If he's an out of contract player he can then sign out of the window.

ayers, ussoccer97531 and Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  5. Giggsy1986

Giggsy1986 Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

Once again you show you're complete lack of understanding of evaluating talent. Passing? Speed? 1 v 1 ability? those are all of his strengths..... If you want to bash Nagbe you bash his mentality not his ability. There is no doubt he is in the top three players we have in Denver right now from an ability stand point.

6. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    I agree. Nagbe has enough physical ability to play with a good Euro club. However, his mentality is his limiting factor. There are so many times when I ask myself why he didn't shoot, or why he didn't play a one-two and go through to the box.

Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  7. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Great questions, but it seems pretty pointless to ask yourself. Ask Nagbe next time and see what he has to say for himself.

8. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    lol okay, I have no understanding of the game part 12. Good one! Haven't heard that before from you!

This must be some huge misunderstanding regarding Nagbe, and this many people have such a lack of understanding about evaluating talent. :rolleyes:

9. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    This is not exactly a tournament takeaway, but I thought I'd put it here because it's a good read and has some relevance to how to go about producing more quality players. It is somewhat of a perfect storm, but there are useful things that others can try to apply as well.

Check out @BrianSciaretta's Tweet:

ChuckMe92, KUSA77, headerdunce and 2 others repped this.
  10. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's an extremely talented player who has a poor soccer IQ/awareness and can't be bothered to have some ambition.

His own coach has repeatedly questioned publicly whether he wants it or not.

If Nagbe had half Pulisic's ambition he'd be making millions in a top league.

Patrick167 and USSoccerNova repped this.
  11. Giggsy1986

Giggsy1986 Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Man Nagbe is so overrated..... and has no talent....

12. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Nagbe is great fodder for us talk radio wannabes -- lots of talent, apparently lots of (or, at least, some) baggage.

The fact that Jones isn't around (and nobody else has really put a stamp on that position) has opened up a huge opportunity for him and he's done well with it, maybe even answering some of the questions out there about him -- his play to get the ball he passed to Yedlin was pure desire.

In the middle third of the field, he does things nobody else in the pool really can, save Pulisic (who, obviously, does things in the final third of the field Nagbe doesn't do). The idea that we might have two guys like that on the field in the same time is pretty tantalizing, as Arena obviously realizes.

We are decades away from having 30 perfect players from which to choose, even if that's what we deserve because we're such good people.

13. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    To me the number weapon that US soccer has is soccer guys marrying soccer gals and having kids. Hard to find that anywhere else.

14. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Love's everywhere you spread it, man

Brotheryoungbuck repped this.
  15. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    Gio Reyna's parents have 118 caps!

Eighteen Alpha and USSoccerNova repped this.
  17. ckajMonet

ckajMonet Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 8, 2017
    Maybe I just missed them, but it's strange that Sargents u-20 performances stirred up a bunch of scout chatter and interest from different clubs in Europe wanting his signature (understandably) but I've seen none at all for Erik palmer-brown during or after the tournament. You'd figure with the performances he had at the WC there's be more interest. I mean, even Tyler Adams was reportedly being scouted by Hannover and some other German club. I hope SKC isn't trying to hold on to him because he really should be playing in Europe right now

18. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I wouldn't be worried. I forget who wrote it, think it was Ives, but I saw an article recently that alluded to tons of European interest, without giving any specifics. MLS Transfers has mentioned some names of clubs before, forget which ones, although I've posted those tweets here before. And Porto B is heavily scouted where he was pretty much their best player, along with the CF, so I wouldn't worry about him getting interest. He's probably like the last player to worry about European teams having interest in. SKC can't hold him hostage forever. If they want, they can hold him until January. After that, he can leave, so I don't see why they wouldn't let him leave now.

19. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    He is a pro and there are more rules involved. That would be tapping up.

20. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So that's where all the Segways went. Man, talk about a promising young talent that got overhyped and ended up a total bust ... now they rent themselves out to tourists and get flipped down hillsides

21. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
  22. Thundering165

Thundering165 Member+

North Carolina FC
    United States
    May 1, 2017
    Raleigh
    I noticed he picked Santiago Bueno and Nico De La Cruz in his top XI, which some of the other outlets didn't. I thought they were both excellent. It's nice to see Sargent get recognized as Palmer-Brown is elsewhere.

23. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    There is a rumor of PSG interest. Hopefully, he is smart enough to go somewhere and play. If that is to PSG, with an immediate loan to Nantes, or whatever, that works. I get why the players are attracted to these big teams. But is it better to start lower and work up? If an American signs with Nantes directly, is he then perceived as lesser talent than if he is signed by PSG or Chelsea and loaned to Vitesse (for example)? Is the pedigree important? Miazga is a Chelsea player playing at Vitesse, is that more attractive to other clubs than someone who is signed by Vitesse directly? Probably a separate thread.

Starman* repped this.
  24. wellno

wellno Member+

Jul 31, 2016
    There's always going to be a lot more interest in the player who isn't currently under contract to anyone so would come free. There isn't anything other than a few loan rumours for England's stand out players because they're all already under contract to big clubs and would cost £££.

25. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    EPB is in the final year of his contract