2017 U-17 World Cup Cycle

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by ussoccer97531, Oct 23, 2015.

1. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    It is a single letter but only the first L is capitalized. It's not often at the start of a word and even less often the start of a sentence. I can think of Llanez (not LLannez), Llama (not Llama) and variants of the verbs llamar, llegar, llevar, llorar etc.

For the record, his name is correct on the jersey.

chrome_vapors and Winoman repped this.
  2. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll put forth Llano Estacado.

Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  3. Starman*

Starman* Member

United States
    Mar 28, 2017
    Thank you. This post made me remember high school Spanish class where we learned that the double L can be thought of as it's own letter.

4. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Except that all the letters should be capitalized in a jersey.

5. Anderson11

Anderson11 Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've seen the C lowercase on McANYTHING jerseys.

Winoman repped this.
  6. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Doesn't work that way in Spanish. Besides, then you can't tell if it's a lower case l or a capital I.

8. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Save us... give us reason to hope!

9. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    I thought that driving my daughter to school this morning. If last nights result doesn’t motivate these kids to fight with everything they have, we have much deeper problems as a nation than even a complete change in leadership can rectify.

Zinkoff, Winoman and Eleven Bravo repped this.
  10. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    "If there is any hope, it lays in the prolesU17!"

---Orwell, paraphrased.

11. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Let's not get over;y dramatic here. The faults of the adults in USSF doesn't now lie all the pressure at the feet of a bunch of 17 yr old kids. Go win or that will prove what a failure our entire country is. Right.

deejay repped this.
  12. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    You are right. That’s not quite what I meant to say and I would never hold kids to that standard. I guess what I was trying to say is that a similar lackluster performance would be even more discouraging.

Anderson11, Winoman and SUDano repped this.
  13. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I get what you're saying. It's not the result but the effort. Sometimes the other team is better or just lucky but if you mail it in you will be criticized.

I will add a crazy thought and say this group would have at least gotten a tie in T&T. They would have played all out.

Eighteen Alpha and Winoman repped this.
  14. beerslinger23

beerslinger23 Member+

Jun 26, 2010
  15. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    I dunno. When the U.S. crashed out of the Big World Cup, obviously the coach of a U.S. youth team playing in a youth World Cup at the same time was going to get asked about it. He could either say:

1) "Doesn't matter. We're just kids here to do our kid things."

2) "It matters. We hope we can bring some joy to our fans."

To me, he didn't really have a choice.

Winoman, Anderson11 and Cpt_Savior repped this.
  16. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
  17. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Yes, he's mentioned it a few times in videos of him.

I didn't really bother to find out the exact info on his brother though since he said he plays for Canada.

18. Timm

Timm Member

Fc Barcelona
    United States
    Oct 6, 2017
  19. Magic Sponge

Magic Sponge Member

May 13, 2000
    Nashville, TN USA
    One side note to the US 17s. The relative age effect is alive and well. Only one of our players has a birth month of September or later. By contrast, 8 have January of February birthdays. A few players are actually "one" year younger but even they are also in the earlier months of their birth year. While I don't claim that the particular players don't deserve to be there, it does make you realize that as players progress through club to ODP to National team, the older ones are identified as being more "talented".

Peter Bonetti and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  20. beerslinger23

beerslinger23 Member+

Jun 26, 2010
    Can you show that this year isn't a fluke or that the bias is actually significant if it exists? by age 17 a couple of months doesn't really matter but i could see this existing as a problem at the U15 and below level where one summer is a big deal.

21. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    That's why its important to allow professional teams to 'develop' talent over time and don't worry about who's selected to National Teams.
    Professional Teams don't pick players at arbitrary times in the cycle of a player to deem them special or made it. They allow players to develop over time and make determinations of advancement depending on their personal growth or development. Not based on a tournament or a academy semester timeframe.

ussoccer97531 and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  22. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    At U-17 I expect for there to be relative age effect simply for the reason that players still improve tremendously in 6 months time. This is why you can't focus all your development efforts on a group of 30 or so teens. That's the real purpose of the DAs. Getting NT level training across the nation. Also the purpose of the U-16, U-18 and U-19 teams. Keep the base broad.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  23. Magic Sponge

Magic Sponge Member

May 13, 2000
    Nashville, TN USA
    Unfortunately no I can't. The U17 birthdates are listed but the younger age groups do not have that information posted (I don't think). At any rate, the bigger concern is simply that more time and attention is given to grooming older birth month players because they are seen as more "talented" at a younger age. For that reason, that older group tends to get "better" at the expense of the younger players.

Peter Bonetti and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  24. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--