2017 U-17 World Cup Cycle

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by ussoccer97531, Oct 23, 2015.

1. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Goslini, I like it. Chris to Italy confirmed?

2. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1303 ChuckMe92, Jun 7, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2017
    One interesting name on the sheet: Jacobo Reyes. Unless there's another Jacobo Reyes we're not aware of, this player is from Texas, with Monterrey U17s, has a Mexico U18 callup to his name (as an '00 -- impressive), and has not been with USYNTs since the U14s.

Edit: Reyes' LigaMX page says "sin registro" (unregistered), but their site can sometimes be misleading if a player is transitioning from one level/team to another. Transfermarkt, on the other hand, has Reyes with Monterrey U20s (doesn't say whether he just recently moved, but it could well be the case), just one of four '00s or later on the team. He doesn't turn 17 until a few more months. So assuming this is the same player, he's a nice pickup for this cycle.

One more edit: based on a comparison of the US #10 in a pre-match photo on the Newell's Twitter account, and the photo of the Jacobo Reyes at Monterrey, I can reasonably conclude they're the same guy.

4. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Tyler Shaver is back. He was our best CB for this cycle, I thought.

There should be highlights from this game. There was highlights from Newells last game.

5. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Who is the name right above his. I can't really read it. Alejandro Pereira? Another new name?
    https://www.topdrawersoccer.com/club-player-profile/alejandro-pereira/pid-75812

ChuckMe92 repped this.
  6. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Big Kid

Pl@ymaker, ChuckMe92 and bsky22 repped this.
  8. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just a little stream of consciousness here:

I understand Sargent not being at the camp, but why not Durkin?

Was he not released by Richmond/DC (not sure who has the say in those weird MLS/USL quick loans). I think that's pretty reasonable to assume since if it was Hack's decision, he probably? would have left Carleton with Atlanta, too.

Wasn't there something about the CONCACAF Championship roster taking a while because Hack was having trouble with a club releasing a player? Does that mean it was Durkin, and not Carleton?

The cool thing about that is that if it indeed was that told Hack to go away, Richmond, it's solely because they feel he's imperative for results. They have no real interest in his development. That has to be a rarity for a u17 player not to get released solely for results-based reasons, at any level. I can think of Lainez, but not many other players. Davies probably if he was eligible and Canada had qualified?

Also, I guess it's nice for Hack to be able to cut one player for a camp for player id and to put Sands in his natural position.

9. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
  10. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--

11. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    #1311 ussoccer97531, Jun 16, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2017
    This team has a long break before the lead up to the U-17 WC. They don't play again until August. I thought it would be a good time to start discussing what the roster might be.

Here's my team with explanations.

GK: Garces, Dos Santos, Budnik
    Defenders: Lindsey, Gloster, Watts, Xuxuh, Sands, Durkin, Arteaga, Shaver
    Midfielders: Goslin, Ferri, Acosta, Booth, Carleton, Llanez
    Forwards: Sargent, Weah, Reynolds, de la Fuente

Last omissions: Defreitas-Hansen, Bailey, Nuphaus, Sepulveda, Araujo, Lederman, Vassilev, Akinola, Garcia-Morillo

Garces
    Lindsey-Arteaga-Sands-Gloster
    Durkin-Booth
    de la Fuente-Carleton-Llanez
    Sargent

Garces the obvious starting keeper. Dos Santos and Budnik are of a similar level to each other, but much better than 4th keeper Defreitas-Hansen, so the battle here is really for back up to Garces. Lindsey, Gloster self-explanatory. Xuxuh and Watts are both versatile to play either full-back spot, pretty opposite skill-sets, but both are athletic and reasonably good at most aspects. Sands and Durkin are self-explanatory, I'm listing them at CB because of the lack of CB's, although I prefer both at DM. Arteaga and Shaver are the two best '00 CB's, IMO. If another defender comes into the team, probably Sepulveda, although Araujo is also very good. Very close between those two. Bailey is a good shout as another FB, Nuphaus an all-arounder at defender, can play all across the back line.

Tons of CM's, but I don't know who really loses a spot. I'm not thrilled with what I've seen recently from Goslin, Ferri or Acosta, but don't think any should necessarily be dropped, Booth has to have a spot. Carleton is self-explanatory. Llanez definitely deserves a spot on this team, as well. I'd like to see Lederman be given a chance in a camp before the roster announcement just to see for sure where his game is at, although I suspect its just on the outside looking in. Same with Vassilev. Not a bad player, but he's not a must keep from the qualifying squad. Doesn't help that he's an '01. Garcia-Morillo is probably the last small attacking mid left off. Sargent is self-explanatory. Weah and Reynolds should both be there. I also think de la Fuente needs to be added. I know its a controversial omission, but Akinola would not be on my roster. Just don't see the fit, given all the other good wingers and strikers. He'd probably be next though, if I added another striker or athletic winger.

Pl@ymaker, Maitreya and ChuckMe92 repped this.
  12. Maitreya

Maitreya Member+

Apr 30, 2007
    Providence, RI
    I know the above is your team, but I will just make some observations about what I think Hackworth will do. I would think Arteaga and Shaver is an either/or, unless there are several injuries. I hope Hackworth at least recognizes the need for a taller centerback who is better in the air, even if he selects Asensio or someone else. I also think it is very hard to make a case for Reynolds over Akinola, even if perhaps Reynolds has the better long-term upside. In qualifying, Hackworth brought more attackers anyway than you have selected in this roster. It's likely that Reynolds will make it alongside Akinola.

Historically, U-17 coaches have been reluctant to make more than a few changes from the qualifying roster. I doubt that Hackworth will be different. A regular with the group has had to be way out of form or below the standard, and an outsider just overwhelmingly good. But four or so outsiders (Hilton, Arteaga or Shaver, Llanez, and de la Fuente) seems realistic with the one caveat that 4 fullbacks seems like a lot to carry. Hackworth would probably only take Hilton over one of Lindsey and Watts.

13. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I didn't call it realistic. :D

14. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    I always thought that G-M is a big striker.

15. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Played as a winger when I've watched him play for the USA, his main skills are in the creative department, and he didn't seem too tall.

16. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    I read somewhere 5'11", 160 lb, but that was a year ago. Seen multiple clips him playing forward.

17. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Okay, I probably worded that wrong. Creative might've been the better word.

18. CT0721

CT0721 New Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jun 5, 2017
    Does Ferreira get his citizenship/clearance in time and if so, does he make the final roster?

19. bballshawn

bballshawn Member+

Feb 5, 2014
    Delaware
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I'd put him in over Jones and Reynolds for sure

Eighteen Alpha and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  20. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Here's a story on Akil Watts, who will move to the Timbers with the residency program closing its doors:

Watts' youth coach, Bobby Poursanidis, played an integral role in connecting Portland with Watts. Timbers manager Caleb Porter, who led the team to an MLS Cup victory in 2015, played under Poursanidis with the State Team of Indiana in 1995 and won a national title. Timbers youth technical director Larry Sunderland also has a connection with Poursanidis, having played against each other during their respective pro careers.

“I told (Larry), you need to look at this kid,” Poursanidis said. “(Watts) gets to go out there and play with them, but still be free to consider his options. I believe they'll take a good look at him, and within a year he'll be able to (turn pro).”​

http://www.journalgazette.net/sports/20170630/city-player-finding-new-soccer-adventures

Tom Collingsworth and bballshawn repped this.
  21. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Group A: India, USA, Colombia, Ghana.

Winoman, tippco333 and Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  22. Sup Bro

Sup Bro Member+

Oct 26, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Enough with the Ghana

soccersubjectively repped this.
  23. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Games against the host are always unpredictable.

Ghana lost the CAF qualifying final to Mali.

Colombia came in fourth (2-1-2) in the six-team CONMEBOL placement stage, losing to host Chile and champion Brazil.

This seems like an anything-can-happen group to me.

Winoman and onefineesq repped this.
  25. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Add in the variable of being in India where a case of Delhi belly can wipe out an entire team.

Namdynamo, Winoman, CT0721 and 2 others repped this.