2017 U-17 World Cup Cycle

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by ussoccer97531, Oct 23, 2015.

1. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's been on a Green Card for a long time, so there shouldn't be a need for him ever to be an international player.

2. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    I'm thinking some of the Deporte: Serâ Anunciado has to be some of this tourney. At the very least you would think they show the CR games but being right next door to the tourney I would think they'll have a decent amount of coverage.

3. Kombucha

Kombucha Member+

Jul 1, 2016
    Club:
    --other--
    Could it be possible that Ferreira is already a US Citizen, but still needs his paperwork approved to play in official cap-tying US matches?

4. didi11

didi11 Member

Dec 13, 2013
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    We are talking about soccer 101 stuff. If you have only 5 defenders, one red card and one injury would make you short. You play at least 3 defenders but at most 3 forwards

5. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Yeah, its an odd roster, I'm not going to complain as long as Hackworth doesn't make any big screw ups. With the U-17's, I think there's less certainty, so my complaints or your complaints aren't the same as complaining about a U-20 roster or a USMNT roster. We don't watch all the games these U-17 players play and we know less than we'd know about the U-20's or USMNT, so I'm more willing to trust the coach than otherwise, although if you have a horrible coach like Richie Williams, that could be a task in itself, but I think Hackworth has done a pretty good job.

My roster would look nothing like this. This would be my roster.

Goalies: Garces, Dos Santos
    Defenders: Xuxuh, Lindsey, Gloster, Arteaga, Shaver, McGann
    Midfielders: Durkin, Sands, Goslin, Booth, Ferri, Acosta, Carleton, De La Fuente
    Forwards: Weah, Sargent, Reynolds, Akinola

6. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    http://www.ussoccer.com/stories/201...yer-roster-for-2017-concacaf-u17-championship

Roster by Position:

GOALKEEPERS (2): Carlos Joaquim Dos Santos (Benfica; Philadelphia, Pa.), Justin Garces (Kendall SC; Miami, Fla.)

DEFENDERS (5): Christopher Gloster (New York Red Bulls; Montclair, N.J.), Jaylin Lindsey (Sporting Kansas City; Charlotte, N.C.), James Sands (New York City FC; Rye, N.Y.), Arturo Vasquez (FC Golden State; Mira Loma, Calif.), Akil Watts (IMG Academy; Fort Wayne, Ind.)

MIDFIELDERS (7): George Acosta (Weston FC; Hollywood, Fla.), Taylor Booth (Real Salt Lake AZ; Eden, Utah), Christopher Durkin (D.C. United; Glen Allen, Va.), Blaine Ferri (Solar Chelsea SC; Southlake, Texas), Christopher Goslin (Atlanta United FC; Locust Grove, Ga.), Indiana Vassilev (IMG Academy; Savannah, Ga.), Adrian Villegas (Portland Timbers; Hood River, Ore.)

FORWARDS (6): Ayomide Akinola (Toronto FC; Brampton, Ont.), Andrew Carleton (Atlanta United FC; Powder Springs, Ga.), Zyen Jones (Atlanta United FC; Clarkston, Ga.), Bryan Reynolds, Jr. (FC Dallas; Little Elm, Texas), Joshua Sargent (Scott Gallagher Missouri; O’Fallen, Mo.) Timothy Weah (Paris Saint-Germain; Rosedale, N.Y.)

Pl@ymaker and Sebsasour repped this.
  7. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Georgia the new California?

8. Sebsasour

Sebsasour Member+

New Mexico United
    May 26, 2012
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why are the St. Louis Scott Galagher's not an MLS expansion team yet?

TarHeels17 and Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  9. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Without getting into individual player selections, Hackworth has said (if I recall correctly) that he wants this team to play in qualifying like the one we've seen in many friendlies -- which often has meant high pressure and fast movement through the forwards and midfield, and late subs to redouble that pressure. While that is certainly a debatable tactical choice, this distribution of players arguably supports that concept.

10. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    This is a very athletic team. Thats what I always come back to as this team's main strength as a collective. A lot of really fast, strong, tall, physical players.

What this team really lacks is offensive creativity from a technical standpoint, and overall technical ability with passing, maintaining possession, ball control. There are a few who are very good in these areas, but most are either poor in it or barely average.

Thats why I think this team is suited to play a 4-4-2. This team could line up in a 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1, but a ball control, possession, creative style of game is only coming from 2-3 players on the field at most.

11. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    St. Louis's stadium measure didn't pass.

12. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Interesting that those rosters were distributed differently with more than 5 defenders. Also while your subs are ideally forwards and wingers, your starters later in the tournament often affect defenders disproportionately who get yellows and a possible injury much more than forwards and midfielders.

13. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    If they play close to how they played in the Nike Friendlies they'll be fine. Technically we'll be fine. Acosta, Ferri, Villegas, Goslin and Durkin as DM are solid. Carleton is great. Out of the back we may struggle but I like how Hackworth has 2 former MF in Sands and Vasquez as CBs,

14. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Certainly. Also, qualifying matches are high-stakes, and our opponents may want to avoid track meets and perhaps will bunker -- this group is pretty good at stepping on opponents' necks, so they will presumably play against teams that try not to expose theirs. I'll be interesting to see what happens if this team takes a few 0-0 scorelines into the last 10 minutes.

Winoman and SUDano repped this.
  15. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Villegas probably won't play unless Carleton leaves the field. I don't think Goslin is good technically. He's a good free kick taker, but besides that, not that good technically. I agree about Acosta and Ferri, but we don't even know they'll both be on the field at the same time. If they are, it helps the possession and technically creative game, but its probably Goslin, Acosta and Ferri for two starting positions. Durkin is fine technically for a #6, but he's more of an all-arounder, IMO. I'll just say that I don't think Vasquez is a help in the technical aspects of the game, and I think thats putting it nicely. Sands is a good player, but I like his defending and physical strength more than his passing. He's a pretty basic passer, which is fine. I see him ideally in the future as like a Perry Kitchen type destroyer, but I wouldn't consider him a great passer or anything like that.

If we are fielding a lineup like this

Garces
    Lindsey-Sands-Vasquez-Gloster
    Durkin-Goslin
    Ferri/Acosta
    Akinola-Sargent-Carleton

The two FB's are not technically good, the two CB's aren't either, IMO. Durkin is fine for a #6, nothing special though, Goslin, not so much. Ferri/Acosta, yes. Akinola, no. Sargent is a good player, but more of a all-arounder at his position like Durkin, not a big help in this part of the game. Carleton, certainly, and thats the game plan is to just get him the ball and let him create, but I also think this team needs a plan B. Akinola overpowering players down the right side is an option, but I only think it'll be effective against certain teams that really struggle athletically.

I think we would do a little better like this

Garces
    Lindsey-Sands-Vasquez-Gloster
    Akinola-Durkin-Goslin-Carleton
    Sargent-Weah

Be able to hit some long balls to Sargent to knock down. Have Weah run the channels, and find spaces in-between the CB's. Teams will just lock in on Carleton eventually, so I think when they do that, we should have the direct option.

Lookingforleftbacks repped this.
  16. Athlone

Athlone Member+

Feb 2, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    Just a fun fact or two related to Atlanta's solid placement in this squad: There are 3 Atlanta United Players in this squad, but their actual representation in this tournament will be even greater than that. A 4th Atlanta United player (Kendall Edwards) has been chosen for this tournament by the Jamaican U-17 side. He will be the only player in the squad currently affiliated with a fully professional team. As just about all of you know, the US Under-17's first game will be on Sunday against Jamaica, and there is actually a chance we could see 4 Atlanta United players on the field.

And most of those players would be Jamaicans: 2 of the 3 Atlanta players in the USA U-17 squad (Zyen Jones and Chris Goslin) are also eligible for Jamaica, but chose to represent the USA.

TL;DR: Atlanta United's upstart academy is helping multiple nations in CONCACAF build youth national teams, not just the USA. That's a credit not only to Atlanta United, but also to the older academies around the area they helped to integrate when this project began.

As noted above, Zyen Jones and Chris Goslin are eligible for Jamaica, so this will help provisionally cap-tie them as well (unless this has already been done at some point - you guys would know better than me). Weah is also Jamaica eligible (his mother is from the island), so add Jamaica to the list of nations he'll be protected from with this provisional cap-tie.

17. Tactical Hipster

Dec 23, 2014
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Alex Bahr is gonna play for Honduras in the tournament and he plays for the AUFC academy as well...

And wasn't Blake White called into the Jamaica squad? He plays for AUFC's academy.

Athlone repped this.
  18. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    U17 is the first level at which players can be provisionally cap-tied, so it's almost guaranteed this is the 1st chance any of these players have had the opportunity for cap-tying.

Athlone repped this.
  19. Athlone

Athlone Member+

Feb 2, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    Didn't know of the Honduran youth.

You're correct on White. He was listed as "unattached" in the last press release I saw, so I hadn't been aware of his affiliation with Atlanta.
    So that's 5, not 4, players from ATL United that we might see play in one match on Sunday when the USYNT takes the field against Jamaica. Very impressive representation by Atlanta and it shows a real benefit they're providing in helping to build youth players in pro settings for smaller CONCACAF nations too.

I hope it continues, because we need all the help we can get on the youth development front.

20. bballshawn

bballshawn Member+

Feb 5, 2014
    Delaware
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Yall could use Bailey, but from what I heard hes the Rossi of Jamaica

21. Athlone

Athlone Member+

Feb 2, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    Yeah, don't even get me started on that debacle.

22. Socarchist

Socarchist Member+

Feb 21, 2010
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    #1272 Socarchist, Apr 18, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
    TD+ is out for at least the first US match vs. Jamaica. Costa Rican network CR6 is televising it, probably without a stream option because it only streams certain shows: http://www.repretel.com/envivo-6/

US TV for only the 3/26 US/Mexico match on Univision Deportes. Just a stream for facecrackheads for the other matches.

Mexican network TVC Deportes looks to be televising the whole tournament without a streaming option that I can find.

Ideas?

Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  23. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    RPC in Panama might be showing the whole tournament. They are giving a lot of coverage to the tournament in their video clips and I know that they are showing the Panama - Honduras match. Unfortunately, their TV Guide only goes one day in advance so no confirmation.

That link is:

http://www.rpctv.com/endirecto/

Winoman and Socarchist repped this.
  24. Socarchist

Socarchist Member+

Feb 21, 2010
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    TVMax 9 has the US/Jamaica match on Panamanian TV. Its guide also only shows two days. It looks like streams are available for very limited shows: http://www.tvmax-9.com/en_vivo/

I can't find the match on Jamaican TV.

Winoman and Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  25. scholes181818

scholes181818 Member

Dec 1, 2003
    Kansas City, MO, USA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Winoman repped this.