2017 U-17 World Cup Cycle

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by ussoccer97531, Oct 23, 2015.

1. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    There was no Hilton on that U16 roster. Can't help but wonder if he ends up with the U17s instead -- a subplot being that I assume he was at least acquainted with Dest at Ajax.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  2. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    That U-16 roster is missing a number of players. I don't think that alone means he'd be on the U-17 roster, but I believe he was also missing from the Galaxy GA Cup roster (a roster that other YNT players like Arteaga and Sepulveda were not missing from).

I don't think he's been called up to a single U-17 camp all cycle, which I found strange, but there could be some agreement between LAG and Hackworth that he won't be called up to any camps except for qualifying and the U-17 WC, if we qualify.

3. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    When is the roster going to be released? This tournament starts on Friday and our first game is next Sunday.

4. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Any TV or streaming?

5. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    It looks like Mexico's games will be shown on Univision Deportes. We play them the second place, so that'll be shown on Univision Deportes. It doesn't seem like they'll show the other games though. I think the games will probably be streamed on the CONCACAF Facebook Page.

The whole thing is stone-age stuff that U-17 WCQ probably won't be televised on English Language Television. Fox does a terrible job with their soccer broadcasts. Why can't they show us the qualifying games? They have so many better things to broadcast? FIFA should think about the fans for once, and not sell the TV rights to a network that is terrible with broadcasting soccer.

Winoman and Overachiever repped this.
  7. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    The qualifying roster for the U-20's was released 8 days prior to the start of the tournament. Last cycle, the roster for the U-17's was released three days before the tournament started.

8. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    I wonder if the Costa Rican network that showed the U-20 qualifiers is carrying this tournament. Those were great streams.

Socarchist and ShadowMoses2 repped this.
  9. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    What youth tournament had those Jamaican? announcers who were talking about extreme extraneous things and ignoring the game like the side of the benches were on, the last name of players, and other odd stuff.

10. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Kinda surprised I'm the one posting this here but this is the qualifying roster:

Roster by Position:
    GOALKEEPERS (2): Carlos Joaquim Dos Santos (Benfica; Philadelphia, Pa.), Justin Garces (Kendall SC; Miami, Fla.)

DEFENDERS (5): Christopher Gloster (New York Red Bulls; Montclair, N.J.), Jaylin Lindsey (Sporting Kansas City; Charlotte, N.C.), James Sands (New York City FC; Rye, N.Y.), Arturo Vasquez (FC Golden State; Mira Loma, Calif.), Akil Watts (IMG Academy; Fort Wayne, Ind.)

MIDFIELDERS (7): George Acosta (Weston FC; Hollywood, Fla.), Taylor Booth (Real Salt Lake AZ; Eden, Utah), Christopher Durkin (D.C. United; Glen Allen, Va.), Blaine Ferri (Solar Chelsea SC; Southlake, Texas), Christopher Goslin (Atlanta United FC; Locust Grove, Ga.), Indiana Vassilev (IMG Academy; Savannah, Ga.), Adrian Villegas (Portland Timbers; Hood River, Ore.)

FORWARDS (6): Ayomide Akinola (Toronto FC; Brampton, Ont.), Andrew Carleton (Atlanta United FC; Powder Springs, Ga.), Zyen Jones (Atlanta United FC; Clarkston, Ga.), Bryan Reynolds, Jr. (FC Dallas; Little Elm, Texas), Joshua Sargent (Scott Gallagher Missouri; O'Fallen, Mo.) Timothy Weah (Paris Saint-Germain; Rosedale, N.Y.)

TxEx, Peretz48, Eighteen Alpha and 5 others repped this.
  11. didi11

didi11 Member

Dec 13, 2013
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I don't know, carry only 5 defenders but 6 forwards?

onefineesq repped this.
  12. Socarchist

Socarchist Member+

Feb 21, 2010
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    tdmascr.com. Both live and archived.

I hope so. The tournament isn't listed on TD+ schedule on tvguide.com. Lots of "Deporte: Será Anunciado"

I vaguely remember the TD+ announcers saying they would have the U-17 tournament during the U-20 broadcasts. Or maybe wishful thinking?

I am not going to get facebook to watch these or any matches.

shadrach and Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  13. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Its a roster of 20, so you gotta leave some positions off, but I do think Durkin will see some time at CB. Does anyone know if Watts is a full-back? I have no clue. I'd assume so. If he is, three full-backs. I guess that team could get by, but your point makes some sense, although I'm not sure its really 7 forwards, only a few "forwards" with a few of the listed forwards being attacking mids who are just listed as strikers. Its very CM heavy. I feel like 7 of the players on this roster are at their best in one of the two CM positions. Anyway, this roster has most of the normal names. I was a little surprised that there aren't more defenders (like you were), but I gotta think Durkin plays some CB, and there might be another player on that roster who will fill in at defender, maybe Chris Goslin.

14. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Is Facebook really something you "get?"

15. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can provisionally cap-tie Dos Santos from Cape Verde and Portugal, Weah from France and Liberia, Akinola from Canada and Nigeria.

Danny Woodhead and BostonRed repped this.
  16. Andy_B

Andy_B Member+

Feb 2, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is Jesus Ferreira a surprise omission or is he not yet a citizen?

17. bballshawn

bballshawn Member+

Feb 5, 2014
    Delaware
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Probably the latter

Akinola----Sargent------Ferreira

-----------Carleton----------------

would insane

18. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Comparing it to the Nike Friendly Roster from 12/2016
    U.S. U-17 Men’s National Team Roster by Position:
    GOALKEEPERS (2): Carlos Joaquim Dos Santos (S.L. Benfica; Philadelphia, Penn.), Justin Garces (Kendall SC; Miami, Fla.)

DEFENDERS (7): Carlos Asensio (Atlanta United FC; Roswell, Ga.), Sergino Dest (Ajax; Almere-stad, Netherlands), Christopher Gloster (New York Red Bulls; Montclair, N.J.), Jaylin Lindsey (Sporting Kansas City; Charlotte, N.C.), Carlos Ritaccio (BW Gotschee; Westbury, N.Y.), James Sands (New York City FC; Rye, N.Y.), Arturo Vasquez (FC Golden State; Mira Loma, Calif.)

MIDFIELDERS (6): George Acosta (Weston FC; Hollywood, Fla.), Isaac Angking (New England Revolution; Providence, R.I.), Christopher Durkin (D.C. United; Glen Allen, Va.), Blaine Ferri (Solar Chelsea SC; Southlake, Tex.), Rayshaun McGann (Philadelphia Union; Royal Palm Beach, Fla.), Indiana Vassilev (IMG Academy; Savannah, Ga.)

FORWARDS (5): Ayomide Akinola (Toronto FC; Brampton, Ont.), Andrew Carleton (Atlanta United FC; Powder Springs, Ga.), Bryan Reynolds Jr. (FC Dallas; Little Elm, Tex.), Joshua Sargent (Scott Gallagher Missouri; O’Fallen, Mo.) Timothy Weah (Paris Saint-Germain F.C.; Rosedale, N.Y.)

19. Andy_B

Andy_B Member+

Feb 2, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS has this quote in his bio so it looks like he should have been eligible. I wonder if Dallas decided not to release him?

INTERNATIONAL: Ferreira holds both US and Colombian citizenship and has been in camp with the US Under-17 national team.

bballshawn repped this.
  20. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because he will be naturalizing, he's gonna need the same FIFA waiver that Zelalem received.

21. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    #1246 SUDano, Apr 17, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
    Odd distribution across the roster. Rayshaun McGann and Isaac Anking have been sub mainstays throughout the cycle. Surprised we need Zyen Jones as a 6th forward for 3 spots. Also surprised Akil Watts who have been a forward for large parts of the cycle is now our only true defensive sub. With Goslin and Villegas back on the roster the only change I would have liked to see is Mcgann for Jones making one less forward and a flexible defender who can play CB or LB in a pinch. Overall good lineup. Also where is Sergino Dest.

22. Andy_B

Andy_B Member+

Feb 2, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ahh thanks that makes sense! Thanks

MLS lists him as already a citizen, are you saying he has not yet received his citizenship (just looking at your words "will be")?

BostonRed repped this.
  23. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    I'm still kind of amazed we have multiple players from Barca and Ajax, historically two of the best academies in the world, in this age group and none of them made the team for the games that count.

Winoman repped this.
  24. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was responding when the post above me was made, so I wasn't aware that MLS made that public. Of course, sometimes the info is inaccurate or premature... the person writing it could have assumed the call-up meant citizenship. But we are certainly close to the window when it should be happening.

Andy_B repped this.
  25. Andy_B

Andy_B Member+

Feb 2, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree. The MLS bio reads funny if you look closely at it.

They list him as both an International slot player and a US citizen, which does not make any sense.

MLS teams try and free up international slots as soon as humanly possible so something is wrong in that bio some where IMO (either not citizen or not an international).