Review: 2017 U-17 World Cup/Cycle: Takeaways

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by ussoccer97531, Oct 21, 2017.

1. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    We could use a thread for a full tournament/cycle takeaways among this group.

Maybe give some reviews on the '00, '01 group as a whole, the individual players, mistakes by the coach, things the coaches did well, the overall team performance this cycle.

Winoman and TheFalseNine repped this.
  2. kba4life1

kba4life1 Member+

Jul 14, 2010
    Irvine, CA
    Carleton, Sargent and Durkin I think will all be future mainstays for the Senior team. Dest, Goslin, Weah and Sands I think will all be future solid pros....the rest, I have no idea.

I think we can call this cycle, at this point, a success since we have some promising potential impact players.

3. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good performance by the team. Bodes well for this class since the u17 the best you get is usually 2-3 players

Winoman repped this.
  4. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #4 TarHeels17, Oct 21, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2017
    Very promising age group, which features an unprecedented number of pro contracts.

For comparison, players on the 2015 roster:
    European First Team: Pulisic (BVB)
    European Loan: Wright (Schalke -> Sandhausen), Perez (Fiorentina -> Livorno), Velela (Cosmos -> Motril)
    European Youth Team: Olosunde (Man U), De La Torre (Fulham)
    Mexico: Zendejas (Chivas -> Zacatapec)
    MLS Contract: Adams (NYRB), Arellano (LAG), Trusty (Union), Vazquez (Atlanta)
    USL Contract: Lopez (LAGII), Barbir (WFC2), Da Silva (OCB), Gallardo (OCB)
    NASL Contract: Calvillo (Cosmos)
    College: W. Pulisic (Duke), Silva (UCLA), Dieterich (Clemson), Nelson (UNC), McCabe (ND)

Of the 2017 roster, 2 are already publicly signed to pro deals in Europe (Sargent, Weah). Vassilev is going somewhere in England, Acosta is without a doubt heading abroad, Dest is with Ajax, and Dos Santos is with Benfica. Some of the MLS guys probably have interest, and may move regardless of their current contract situation.

6 (!!) are already signed to homegrown contracts, whereas only 4 from the previous roster ever did, and that's not including Ferreira. Booth will be signed soon. Akinola has been offered, but who knows what will happen with him. A few others are good enough to get deals soon as well.

However, just as importantly, it's important to recognize how much talent came from the 2015 cycle that didn't even make the final roster. McKennie and Gonzalez are two of our most promising midfielders. Gaines just made his league debut in Germany. Taitague is at Schalke. More players earned homegrown deals that weren't on the roster (Cannon, Kunga, Mihailovic, Farfan, and Pomykal edit: and Fontana) than those that were (Zendejas, Arellano, Trusty, Adams). That's 10 damn good players from '98 and '99 that weren't on that roster, and that's just off the top of my head. I know I've missed a bunch. Edit: how about Fossey, Young, Koreniuk, and Scott just to name a few.

Who from '00 and '01 will have the same impact? We suspect already suspect bunch that might and probably should have been on the roster a la McKennie (Konrad, Hilton, Llanez, Sepulveda, Araujo), but there are plenty of those who not many would have argued for that could become just as good (Gonzalez, Arteaga, Anaya, Aangking, Roberts, Arriaga, Villegas, Hundley, Jones, Padilla, Soto, Pereira, Segal). Even more I didn't write or even have never heard of. Some credit has to go to MLS/USSF for that, as players have more pathways to becoming pros than ever before, and its increasing at an insane rate. Of the above not on the roster, I believe 4 have already made their pro debuts. The system isn't anywhere near perfect, but it's heading in the right direction.

5. ckajMonet

ckajMonet Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 8, 2017
    Wouldn't mind if Hackworth takes the MLS job he was rumored to be considered for...

Disappointing performance to go out on but excited to see where these players end up. Hoping that some of our younger CBs that were left off can get into the squad as this next cycle develops, rather not see CDMs at CB during the U-20 WC.

I'm looking forward to this next crop of U-17s coming up. It's not looking as well rounded a team but the standouts that have already begun to make names for themselves are pretty fun to watch

6. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Standouts from this team:

Garces: I thought he had a really nice tournament. The two games of the five we gave up goals his defense stranded him. He made a number of difficult saves in this tournament, and showed his quality with his feet. He should compete with Brady Scott for the #1 spot for the U-20's the upcoming cycle.

Durkin: He's not a CB, but put in a good shift there. As a #6, he was excellent. Not the fanciest player, but very effective, and does most things well.

Booth: Barely played, which was maybe Hackworth's biggest mistake in this tournament. Did a really good job against England, showed off his combativeness in midfield, along with excellent passing and soccer IQ. He should become a bigger name when people get to watch more games of him.

Carleton: I think some just expect way too much of him. He either scored, assisted or had the pre-assist on 8 of our 11 goals. He was IMO our best player at this tournament. He turns the ball over more than most players and he's not the best from a physical aspect, but he's so influential from an attacking standpoint, and underrated defensively. I liked that he was playing as a #10, as well. I think thats his position at the pro level.

Sargent: I thought he had a good tournament. If you thought he was going to dominate this tournament, I'm just not sure thats his game, and I think its doing him a disservice to think that way. He's a hard worker and a good finisher, also deceptively athletic,. Definitely played his game well, and contributed about what he should've.

Others with potential:

I like three of the four FB's (Lindsey, Gloster and Dest). I thought Gloster had a bad tournament, his stock is down, IMO, but I still think he's a good prospect. Shame Lindsey was injured, he has some potential, I now grade him and Gloster about even. Dest showed really well, want to see if this was just a fluke, I hadn't seen him do as well in the prior few games I had watched. Sands was played out of position, I thought he had a bad tournament, he's not a CB, but I do think he has NT potential as a #6. Goslin had a good tournament. I think he has NT potential as a #8.

Weah had a bad tournament, I thought. I know he scored three goals against Paraguay, including one very nice goal, but he did absolutely nothing besides that. Wasn't much more effective offensively than Akinola, although like Sands, I thought playing out of position didn't help. Acosta might have some potential as a #10, Reynolds has potential as a #9, but is way too raw to be playing against quality 00's at a tournament like this. Shouldn't have been selected. Shaver didn't play, but I think he has decent potential as a ball playing CB. We'll see about the back up keepers, they have potential, check back in five years.

The bad:

Watts might top out as an MLS starter/back up full-back. Not that athletic, struggled against high level wingers, not particularly good going forward. Ferri has good passing range, IMO, but thats it. Bad defensive player, no awareness, plays too slow. Maybe he can turn into an MLS player and make a lot of money, but I don't expect it. I still don't know what Vassilev does well, and Hackworth likes about his game. I think its his versatility, but if you play these positions badly, are you versatile? He might be a little better than he showed due to being an '01, but I still don't consider him anywhere near the top 01's.

Akinola is fast and powerful, but that is lessened as he gets older, and he's bad with nearly every other part of the game. Terrible awareness, bad first touch, bad finisher, bad passer, not particularly creative. Maybe he can make his mark as a Bunbury type of winger in MLS. Reyes is very plain. Doesn't do anything particularly poorly or well. I think he could have a pro career, but I don't think it'll be a particularly high level one.

Players who weren't on this team:

de la Fuente: I regard him as the second best player in the '01 year. Depending on the month, sometimes the best. He is a very talented attacker with a boatload of skill, explosive athleticism, good football IQ, and goal scoring. He's best as a winger, although he can play as a striker.

Araujo: I regard him as the third best player in the '01 year. Really talented CB. He's basically EPB minus the athleticism. Very mobile, good anticipation, good tackler, good passer, positionally very good. Not the tallest or the most athletic, but he should be fine in this area.

Arteaga: I like this guy's game. IMO, he's the best CB in the '00 year. Very well rounded, does nearly everything well. He's not great at anything, but very solid in many aspects. And he has pro experience that many of these players don't have.

Others to note:

'00: I like what I've seen of Asensio. Plays all around the back line, mobile and good defensively. Another Atlanta player Crain is very reminiscent of Besler, very underrated player who I thought deserved more of a chance this cycle. Brayan Padilla is a quality goal scoring forward. Zico Bailey is a talented full-back who could've gotten more of a chance this cycle, Jorge Almaguer another right-back who looks a good player. Kyle Holcomb has a ridiculous goal scoring record, haven't seen much of him. Why did he have 0 caps this cycle? Chris Richards, Khai Brisco, two defenders could've used call ups this cycle.

'01: Hilton is a quality two-sided full-back who's very good offensively, Sepulveda is a good bigger CB, Toledo is a very solid player at CB, mobile, tough, good defensively. Maybe one of the two keepers (Defreitas-Hansen or Ochoa) amount to something. Roberts is a talented CM, Stojanovic is a quality CF. Rangel has impressed at CB. Llanez is a skilled winger who is very direct. Gabe Segal is a real quality goal scorer.

The coaching: It wasn't disastrous, which allowed this team to have some success. This team was more talented than last cycle's team, but not that much more talented. There was a big difference in coaching between Hackworth and Williams. I didn't think that Hackworth did a great job. Had no clue what he was doing with the CB or CM position this cycle. Relied too much on guys who had regressed, and he lost us the qualifying tournament with his idiotic sub, but for the most part, he was not awful this cycle. He's not a good coach, and he's very tactically inflexible, not great with game plans, but he didn't destroy the cycle like Williams did last cycle.

Outlook: This was the best youth cycle we've had at any level. Nothing but positives, IMO. Some minor things to nitpick, but that wouldn't be a good reflection of this cycle. We showed an improved level of depth, more top-end players, and better results.

7. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    I'll present an opposing view. While it's true that compared to previous cycles there was probably more talent with this team, the England game exposed the gulf that still exists between our best and the best from top footballing nations. I saw nobody on our team that I can project will play on a top CL club. England, by contrast, has quite a few, and that's w/o Sancho, who was called back to Dortmund. We should no longer be satisfied to just have MLS level players. Good for Weah at PSG, good for Sargent at Werder Bremen, but let's see how far they can progress.

Namdynamo and Susaeta repped this.
  8. tbonepat11

tbonepat11 Member+

Jun 21, 2001
    I would like clarification on Dest and Acosta's health before this game. Hackworth has to answer for some extremely questionable decisions.

Dest was put in so if he wasn't injured, why is your top defender on the bench?

You need multiple goals and Acosta, your best passer of the ball and arguably most creative player doesn't come in?

Sands, Durkin, Acosta, Dest impressed me whenever they played.

Weah, Akinola, Sargent, Carleton, Goster I thought were good in spurts.

Weah outside of 1 match was average.
    Akinola is Eddie Johnson 2.0
    Sargent lacked service for large spurts and he needs service to succeed. (Acosta not playing had a lot to do with that IMO)
    Carleton was fantastic at times and poor at times. He is young and needs to go abroad asap.

Hackworth was an issue. I have no clue why some players played and some didn't. Obvious selections were never played. Ferri playing at all was pretty shocking after his constantly poor performances.

TimB4Last repped this.
  9. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This cycle like the others has many players who will play with the senior national team someday. MANY of whom weren't chosen for this tournament. We are making progress with player development but with coaches we aren't.

10. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Dest was sick. Hackworth didn't trust Acosta at any position other than CAM, and thats where Carleton plays, so Acosta didn't play.

Winoman and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  11. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If there's sickness going around, it could explain the mysterious unavailability of Lindsey and Reyes as well.

Winoman, beerslinger23 and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  12. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well if our measure is CL club level there's one player in the entire American soccer world that can or looks like can do that.

I mean I know we all want to field a team of guys at City, Real etc but we could barely field 11 competent players for a World Cup qualifier so let's be realistic.

IndividualEleven repped this.
  13. kingshark

kingshark Member+

Mar 3, 2006
    seems like everytime we call "this is the best cycle" but I think we need to be cautious to conclude.

I have a thought on coaching. As Bradenton is closed and USSF Academy began to work, can we choose the ynt coaches from the people that do some spectacular things on Academy eco-system (discover or develop good HG stars)? I think now we have a good measurement method and we should utilize it and make coaching of ynt accountable in an open and competitive environment. What do you think?

14. Susaeta

Susaeta BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 3, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This forum tends to get lost comparing this class against previous classes. This player versus that player. Etc.

None of that fvcking matters.

This class is not as good as the very best in this world.

And that is the only bar.

deejay, Ghost and Peretz48 repped this.
  15. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    Sargent did turn down Dortmund and Bayern. Now who knows if he can ever make those type of clubs 1st teams, but I think his floor is a Bobby Wood career (sans injuries).

16. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe if we had a better coach and called up more players from California and Texas.

17. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who really thought that we could win this with Hackworth as coach? Are there really no better players in California and Texas than the players we had at the U17 World Cup?

18. beerslinger23

beerslinger23 Member+

Jun 26, 2010
    Dancing around geographical regions is not necessary.If you have a strong opinion about mexican americans being overlooked then just say it man. You aren't alone in your ideas and might get an important discussion going. Now's the place and time.

19. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, it's not about mexican americans but the lack of players of all ethnicities who are from these places that are known for having soccer loving players. Why are they being left out? Do coaches have something against these types of players? US Soccer fans are complaining about the lack of passionate soccer loving players when there are an abundance of them.

20. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We should probably just stop playing soccer if that was the bar.

21. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ach, silly me! No need to cover the team then! We're not as good as Brazil, or Germany, or Argentina? Why even bother?

IndividualEleven repped this.
  22. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    The last thing this U17 group lacked was passion. And Hackworth really likes a mediocre Texan prospect, Ferri.

23. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I wonder if Durkin would have made the all tournament team if he had played midfield in all the matches instead of cb in two of them.

I think EPB might have made the all tournament team as a dmid with u20's but they played him at cb as well, even after Glad came back from injury and played right back (huh?)and we had bupkus in mid - Adams who sucked in dmid (vide his meltdown there for Red Bulls) Jones who did his best and some guy from Maryland.

24. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sure there are way better players than Ferri from Texas.

25. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sargent is the only one from this squad I'd put money on being a legit top league baller.

He simply has the most well rounded skillset. He's got the size/physicality. He's got enough acceleration to create space from his mark. He's got the touch. He's got a holdup game. He's the got the IQ and understands link play and makes quick one touch passes off pressure. He's two footed. Quality finisher. Quality off the ball movement. Can dribble at players.

Everyone else, for every positive there's a negative. A lot of holes in these players' games.

scoachd1 repped this.