PBP: 2017 Tournament of Nations: Australia, Brasil, Japan, USA

Discussion in 'Women's International' started by Gilmoy, Jul 27, 2017.

1. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Something to do for teams not in Euro :D
    One match each day will not involve USA. (I'll do USA pbp in the USA WNT forum.)

Brasil (innocently) uses the hashtag #BRAxJAP, because they don't have a bad history with "JAP" as an insult.
    USA uses #BRAxJPN.

2017/07/27 Thu
    Brasil - Japan

27' 0-0

gricio61 repped this.
  2. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    #2 Cliveworshipper, Jul 27, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2017

Less to do with any perceived insult than that JPN is the official IOC,ISO, and FIFA member country code.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_FIFA_country_codes

And BRA doesn't have anything to do with foundation garments, either.

3. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    HT 0-0. Shots(sog) 7(5) - (2)9.
    Brasil had several medium-long shots saved or pushed away.
    Japan snuck behind for one good 1-v-0 chance, but Bárbara stuffed Tanaka.

4. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm pretty sure we (USA) influenced FIFA and IOC to do that :) Some parts of the world, e.g. Brasil and certain Euro woso broadcasts, still use JAP as the abbreviation, even though most FI** int'l organizations don't.

In particular, CBF keeps the #BRAxJAP hashtag alive, across sports and time. Browse that hashtag and you'll see it timewarps back to 2016/06/30, 2015/06/13, 2014/10/14, and even earlier BRA-JPN games, including mso and FIVB wvb World Grand Prix.

5. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    #5 Cliveworshipper, Jul 27, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2017

No.

ISO country codes were originally two letters ( ISO Alpha2) and are still used in some contexts.

In that system. USA was US, BRA was BR, and JPN was JP, not JA, which was easily confused with Jamaica. There was actually a dispute about who would own the JA designation, and the compromise was that Jamaica would take JM.

http://www.nationsonline.org/oneworld/country_code_list.

Where possible, the third letter code just added a letter at the end (ISO ALPHA3)

JAP has never been a country code, and is rather lazy journalism.

blissett repped this.
  6. Romario'sgurl

Romario'sgurl Member+

Wakanda FC
    Aug 26, 2000
    Wakanda
    Club:
    FC Ingolstadt 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Good grief, Marta. You gotta hit that one!

7. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    63' 0-1 Yuka Momiki
    87' 1-1 Camila Martins Pereira

FT 1-1. I missed most of 2H; had to take a deep nap.

8. usafan1985

usafan1985 Member

Jun 13, 2015
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    USA- Australia tied 0-0 at half

9. Romario'sgurl

Romario'sgurl Member+

Wakanda FC
    Aug 26, 2000
    Wakanda
    Club:
    FC Ingolstadt 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Yay, Australia!

blissett repped this.
  10. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Japan would have deserved a win here, but we were let down but some of our offensive players, who wasted chances (in particular Mina Tanaka, who managed to miss two easy goals).

More than by Brazil choice of country code, we were offended by ESPN commentator, who was shamelessly rooting for Brazil (and Marta) instead of having a neutral comment. I mean, that attitude would have been understandable in a USA-Japan, but why had he to be so partial to one of two foreign teams playing on neutral ground in his country? :devilish:

The most obvious answer is that Brazil, with Marta, Debinha, Camila, Andressinha, etc., is an asset to NWSL, while Japan, with lonely Utsugi, is not, but this is just marketing then, and no sportmanship.

#5nadeshikofan repped this.
  11. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    looks like BR dominated the highlight reel, but it ended as a tie

big upset as the Matildas beat the US for the first time in 28 games. I rather post this here, than on the US threat since we'll be stuck with none stop whining comments on how bad Ellis is, when sorry, but the focus should be more about how good Sam Kerr & co. were, as well as their high press keeping the ball on the US side of the field for long periods of time. Whats missing in vid, is Sam Mewis going down, closeups had her spilling a lot of blood out of her nose(and I thought that only happened in B type horror films!). Why on earth wasn't she taken out of the game?

olelaliga, #5nadeshikofan and gricio61 repped this.
  12. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Well, those ESPN highlights are as shamefully partial as their comment-guy was. :devilish::devilish::devilish: I am really upset as how much unprofessional and dishonest a channel and a journalist can be.

Look at these highlights from a Japanese TV and then tell me again that Brazil dominated the game. It should have ended 3-1 Japan, if only Mina Tanaka was a decent striker (hint: she isn't), that's the truth!

Those American highlights were a travesty! :mad:

I can count at least 5 Japan's clear-cut chances that were simply erased from ESPN highlights (and there was another, from Nakajima, who wasn't showed in Japan's highlights either, although it was one of the most dangerous). This is "fake-newsesque" denial of reality. Disgraceful.

#5nadeshikofan, Essex and gricio61 repped this.
  13. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Next thing I expect is some referee "punishing" Japan with some made-up call, for not being a "trendy" team for the promotional market. :devilish:

#5nadeshikofan repped this.
  14. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    thanks for the J version, but I'm not sure if this is completely ESPN' the youtube channel that I got this from is called Sports Akal(which don't sound American to me).

highlights don't show all of the game; watching the(other) full game, I would say the real winner was the Matildas high press. Obviously no one's going to show that on a highlight reel

15. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Well, what was surely ESPN's was the comment of the game: you can get glimpses of that from these highlights even if you didn't watch the whole game. Didn't you hear the sheer jubilation from that guy at Brazil goal? He didn't even try to conceal that "his" team had finally scored.

Anyway, Japan's highlights were much more balanced. It's true there were some Brazilian missing action from them (for instance, I would have shown Marta's chance that was barely deflected in 1st half, instead of her weak middle-range shot in the 2nd), but: 1) there were missing Japan's actions also, for instance the one I mentioned before, with final shot from Nakajima; 2) Japan's video was anyway a selection of good actions from both teams: the moment when Brazil had three shots in the same action in the middle of second half, for instance, wasn't swept under the rug for sure; the video with ESPN on the right-high corner, instead, didn't show any Japanese action except the one of the goal!!! :devilish:

16. Airox

Airox Member

Mar 14, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for sharing the Japan highlights! Really cool to see the distinction is what is shown afterwards. Watching the game, I did think it really weird that Japan seemed to have the better run of play, but you'd never know it listening to the announcer (who had trouble anyways "tournament of champions" ha!)

#5nadeshikofan and blissett repped this.
  17. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Now, these are highlights! :) Complete, accurate and unbiased: way to go, Lechus7! As good as ever! :thumbsup:

#5nadeshikofan, lukephan and gricio61 repped this.
  18. Essex

Essex Member

Jul 5, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    DISHONEST MEDIA DISTORTING REALITY AGAIN. SAD.

#5nadeshikofan, lukephan and blissett repped this.
  19. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    here's the full Brazil vs Japan game
    part 1
    part 2

special bonus, the lovely Camilla explaining how she scored her goal

#5nadeshikofan, gricio61 and blissett repped this.
  20. Bauser

Bauser Member+

Dec 23, 2000
    Norway
    Club:
    Fredrikstad FK
    I should pay more attention to this tournament. Toppserien profiles all over the place, particularly on Australia and Brazil. Tameka Butt has had a strong season at Klepp, good to see her score the winner in Australia's first ever victory over the US.

blissett repped this.
  21. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    She also played in Japan for a brief stint, in Iga FC Kunoichi. :)

I am actually more worried by tonight match vs Australia than by USWNT... :cautious:

22. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    blissett, one important woso game down, four more to go today, please send me a cup of Joe!

blissett repped this.
  23. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Listen, mate. I'll surely watch Austria-Spain, about an hour from now; I'll follow it up with France-England, in the immediate after-dinner for me in Italy; as good and interesting as all these games can be (and Germany-Denmark has been so good already! :D), they will be an appetizer for what's the clue of the night for me: Japan-Australia (it's a shame there can't be no Kerr-Naho duel, but I can live with it :giggle:).

But. You can't ask me to stay up at night to watch this awful version of USWNT take on Brazil. You just can't, sorry.

I'll just wake up tomorrow to see the score they've lost with. :p

lukephan repped this.
  24. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    oh blissett, 30 min. it's Sam Kerr 2, Japan 1!

blissett repped this.