News: 2017: The "Fake News About Alternative MLS Teams" Thread

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by svc641, Feb 19, 2017.

1. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jesus.

Unak78 and CybrSlydr repped this.
  3. Hamburgler03

Hamburgler03 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 31, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Watched the game on Facebook Live. Game was 1-0 (own goal) before the red and then it just got out of hand. Atlanta's attack is lethal. Some teams will find ways to adjust and slow them down but they are a strong team.

4. SourCream&OnionUtd

Nov 19, 1998
    Not really news, but I'm willingly listening to Marcelo Balboa call the COL-MIN game. And I was all set to like this new ref until he mistakenly sent off Davis from Minnesota just now.

5. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, not too surprised. Everyone has been calling for him to change back to a 4-2-3-1, since the 4-3-3 didn't really work at all last year. While there is an amazingly large urge to say this is just Columbus/Berhalter west, at least GB's Plan A was good for a couple of years before everyone figured it out. Cassar's Plan A was shit from the start. Plus, they brought in Mike Petke to coach their USL team, so I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if this was somewhat forecast in the offseason by their GM Weibel. Ready made replacement, I'd be shocked if Petke is announced this week as the new coach.

7. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    SourCream&OnionUtd repped this.
  8. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Schweinstiger (sp?) looks all but official now, one year deal, $4.5 million salary. What a waste of money haha.

9. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    So does Schweinsteiger come over in summer? . That's gonna be a weird midfield. Dax, Juninho, Schweinsteiger. Talk about plodding. If Schweinsteiger can't regain form or fitness that may make Pipa look quick and decisive in attack.

I don't obviously think he's worth 4.5 million. That's insane. But if he's here this summer and gains any sort of form that can be one of those signings that could give Chicago the 5th or 6th spot, which in all likelihood is our ceiling as well.

Should be an interesting summer.

10. CrewV Man

CrewV Man Member+

Aug 18, 2011
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But it sure does show their ambition. Gotta love that ambition.

TRUJDUB repped this.
  11. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Chicago Fire has made the playoffs once since 2009.

Columbus is 16 months removed from hosting MLS Cup.

Chicago's offseason moves show a team clearly aiming for the playoffs. Columbus's offseason moves show a team also hoping for the playoffs and then hoping luck bounces our way.

16 months since hosting MLS Cup and we are showing equal to (and maybe less) ambition than a team who's made the playoffs once since 2009 (?).

Good times in Columbus. Show me to the nearest beer tent or food truck.

12. CrewV Man

CrewV Man Member+

Aug 18, 2011
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here you go. http://colsmfv.com/

Well we only have to miss the playoffs for 5 more years and then we can sign an aging European former star. Paul Pogba is my guess. It might help if we moved to Delaware too. And stopped watering the pitch.

Smithsoccer1721 and KCbus repped this.
  13. Jim Bach

Jim Bach Member+

Bradford City Association Football Club
    May 11, 1999
    Land of the Lizard People, or so I'm told
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    Paul Pogba will be 29 in five years, i.e., likely at the peak of his career.

14. CrewV Man

CrewV Man Member+

Aug 18, 2011
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Okay Gareth Bale. I thought Messi was a bridge too far.

15. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    MLS players dropping like flies today.

Sebastian Lletget out 4-6 MONTHS - No real effect on the Crew.

Josef Martinez out 4-6 weeks - HUGE news. Atlanta is likely one of the handful of teams that along with the Crew will be challenging for the 4-6 spot in the east. Missing him for 6 weeks is huge for that team.

16. SourCream&OnionUtd

Nov 19, 1998
    You never know, maybe Lletget's injury "forces" MLS to reconsider its long-term injured player cap policies to give LA relief, while keeping us on the hook for Sauro

17. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew

Wolff. That's a surprise.

Kyle Crew repped this.
  18. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, didnt see that coming.

19. SourCream&OnionUtd

Nov 19, 1998
    Interesting tidbit on Wolff from fantasy land, on my current FM16 save, Wolff left my staff midway through '17 to take the head NYC job. He's finally got them playing some decent stuff and getting results here and there after two disastrous years under first Vieira and then former Spanish international Ruben de la Red.

IRL I think Wolff should make a fine HC, maybe not as good as I expect Wondo will be if he decides to go into coaching, but still good. Wondo will probably turn out a lot like Vermes, the sort of manager everyone loves to hate but always has his teams in the thick of things.

20. Psycho_Derek

Psycho_Derek Member+

Nov 18, 2005
    Bastian Schweinsteiger asked if Chicago Fire can win the World Cup, twice. ********ing idiot sports journalists.

21. TRUJDUB

TRUJDUB Member+

Nov 22, 2015
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Was asked? I assume

Psycho_Derek repped this.
  22. TRUJDUB

TRUJDUB Member+

Nov 22, 2015
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Agree this is a huge loss for Atlanta which helps us. We have started well if we can be consistently near the top of the standings that will be the first time in the GB era. I will say we may need a new thread to give GB a raise if he substains success with this roster for the season.

23. Psycho_Derek

Psycho_Derek Member+

Nov 18, 2005
    Correct. Oops

24. odave

odave Member+

Jul 29, 2010
    SE Michigan
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    They probably thought they were interviewing a sausage inventor at first. "Yeah, I like good Schweinsteiger sandwich with spicy mustard....wait, he's a soccer player? Oh, that means that World Cup thing."

25. Psycho_Derek

Psycho_Derek Member+

Nov 18, 2005
    I thought maybe winning MLS cup made them world champions ergo MLS cup = World Cup