News: 2017: The "Fake News About Alternative MLS Teams" Thread

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by svc641, Feb 19, 2017.

1. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that strong local ownership is the only way the Crew will be in Columbus in ten years.

Local ownership is the missing element. We've never had it and it shows.

You need an owner who takes it personally. A guy who goes to the Columbus Club for lunch and guys nudge each other and say "He's the guy who owns the Crew"

That doesn't happen to him too much in San Francisco.

We need an owner with real roots in the community, not an "investor " from someplace like Texas or California.

All we've ever had.

A guy who walks into meetings and people smile and say "Helluva win last night. Your boys are looking good."

A guy who, suddenly appears at practice sometimes just because he has a spare hour. The players look over and notice. It's the boss, the man. And they kick it up a notch just because.

Local ownership will save the Crew. Anthony Precourt holding it until he can sell it for $200 million to a guy from New York won't.

Because that guy will say to the league "Hey, I'll bring on big bucks, build a stadium, splurge on a few big name players, all of which will help the league overall. But I want to do it in Phoenix. Or St Louis. Or wherever else he's from.

I like Precourt and I think the team is better right now than it would be if those shitheads at HSG were still in charge.

But at the end of the day the Crew is an investment to him, like municipal bonds or cocoa futures. The only value is in what he can sell it for.

redi44crew, Robbo Crewfan, Sagz and 9 others repped this.
  2. Aaron d

Aaron d Member+

May 15, 2005
    Wooster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    DC United with two straight wins without scoring a goal. That has to be a record.

3. TRUJDUB

TRUJDUB Member+

Nov 22, 2015
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    They got back to back own goal wins?

4. Aaron d

Aaron d Member+

May 15, 2005
    Wooster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes. Two wins, both 1-0 on own goals. It's how to be terrible, and win.

redi44crew, Robbo Crewfan and TRUJDUB repped this.
  5. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fun fact, Michael Parkhurst is actually the second highest scorer for DC United this season. Let that sink in for a minute.

redi44crew and TRUJDUB repped this.
  6. CrewV Man

CrewV Man Member+

Aug 18, 2011
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
  8. mmradio13

mmradio13 Member+

Apr 13, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Paladini incident happened on a Wednesday and he was suspended the following Monday. The Johnson incident happened less than 24 hours ago. It's coming.

9. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    In all fairness to the league I read they have suspended him.

10. CrewV Man

CrewV Man Member+

Aug 18, 2011
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. Tobias C

Tobias C Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 6, 2014
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can't believe it took that long.

Well, I CAN, because Kraft DGAF, but still.

14. 110toyourleft

110toyourleft Member+

Jan 27, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [jayheaps] Someone please post the Andy Herron elbow gif/photo/whatever. [/jayheaps]

15. chr1st

chr1st Member+

Jan 19, 2011
    Dayton
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. 110toyourleft

110toyourleft Member+

Jan 27, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thank you. Solid content.

17. DAK77

DAK77 Member+

Nov 10, 2008
    Merion Village, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The look on face of Herron during the elbow and the look on the face of Heaps after the elbow is so satisfying. I've seen it 1000 times and could watch it another 1000.

Robbiegoal, redi44crew, chr1st and 2 others repped this.
  18. KHT_Crew

KHT_Crew Member+

Mar 29, 2003
    Queen City, OH
    FYP

Robbiegoal, 110toyourleft and chr1st repped this.
  19. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
  20. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jermaine Jones went full Jermaine Jones, getting a red card in the 39th against Atlanta. Atlanta was up 4-0 at halftime.

And leave it to Toronto to have a lousy night the one time we need them do help us out.

ibrew and Tobias C repped this.
  21. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At least now you guys know how much time an MLS coach buys himself having "MLS Cup Runner-up" on his resume (just under 3 years).

22. ibrew

ibrew Member+

Feb 3, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Sorry, I don't know how to link to a post in a different thread so I am copying and pasting the below from the San Jose thread. Yikes. Tough stuff. It does make one appreciate more what you have.

San Jose Earthquakes unprepared for the Chicago Fire hurting playoff hopes

San Jose’s players and coaches were left at a loss as to why the Quakes – who now hold the league’s worst goal differential at minus-23 – were once again unable to deal with adversity, even as they were getting passed by FC Dallas and the Dynamo to fall back to eighth place in the Western Conference.

If we concede a goal, we’re done,” said San Jose defender Florian Jungwirth. “I’m sure it’s mentality-wise. It’s not the first time. Maybe it’s the first time at home, but if you see the games on the road, we lose with three or four goals’ difference, every time. I’ve never seen that before. It’s tough to have an explanation for that. We talk a lot about that, but we can’t handle that. It makes me angry.”

Coach Chris Leitch didn’t have any ready-made answers.

We’ve done this too many times, where we concede and the second one’s not too far behind,” Leitch said. “Goals happen in games, so it’s not like this is new to anyone. Goals happen, you’ve got to deal with it, for sure.”

“You play a team like Chicago, if they have a good day, they can be a class better than you,” Jungwirth said. “Then you know you have to do something better than them. You have to have a very good mentality. You have to surprise them. But from the very first minute, we didn’t know how to handle it. We had no match plan, how to play against them. We can lose 7- or 8-1, to be honest.”

When one of the few players on the team who consistently looks both competent and like he actually cares says the team "had no match plan, how to play against them" for a game that was crucial to make the playoffs for the first time since 2012 (the longest drought in MLS with Chicago having clinched against us tonight), it's time for heads to roll, starting with the coaching staff.

23. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

[​IMG]

(It seems fitting, especially considering Google Image Search provided me with this logo from the statement made regarding Johnny Manziel.)

24. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States