2017 Team Lineup and Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Atlanta United FC' started by Eleven Bravo, Feb 9, 2017.

1. lemons

lemons Member

United States
    Nov 20, 2004
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Or young people in general. Maicon is obviously a quality player but I'd prefer to stick with Mears. He's much cheaper.

2. lemons

lemons Member

United States
    Nov 20, 2004
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    There's no way Jones is going to get the starting nod over Martinez. He might have some impact as a sub or during a USOC game, but I see his playing time as being quite limited this year.

3. Dr. Dogfish

Dr. Dogfish Member

Aug 1, 2011
    Heart of Darkness
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When fullbacks age, they lose a step -Cafu excepted - and they become more prone to fouling. See Andy Cole.

lemons repped this.
  4. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Re: Maicon
    If true I take heart in the fact this is happening after the team has already spent a month+ under the helm of Coach Tata, because they obviously don't take him on at this point unless they feel there's value added. (Assuming, of course, everyone on staff is sane and on the same page!) That being the case he might be exclusively for depth, or to share wisdom, help train the youth, etc.

Sevin repped this.
  5. GoDawgsGo

GoDawgsGo Member+

Nov 11, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He was signed well before Tata and just doesn't fit the team they've built since bringing him in. Would rather get rid of him and find a different forward that fits our mold. Just don't think he has the speed to play Tata's style.

6. Mach1

Mach1 Member+

Jun 27, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a long season with some brutal travel. Legs are going to get tired.

Kenwyne is going to get some playing time. After Martinez, there's not a whole lot of proven options to choose from. Asad can play there, but I think he may be more suited to winger. Agreed, Jones was brought on before Tata and probably doesn't quite fit his style, but he's a proven goal-scorer. Maybe he'll be used more of a super-sub when we need a goal, or when we need to hold a lead and it helps to have a bigger body in the game. But I'm optimistic he'll prove useful.

7. SeaOtter

SeaOtter Member

Nov 7, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure why anyone is entertaining the idea of getting rid of a player at this point. Seems somewhat disloyal at worst and impatient at best.

We've seen 4 pre-season matches so far. I doubt many of us puts much stock into any of the results - they don't go very far toward informing us of what the team will perform like over the course of a season. So, I don't see why anyone would put too much stock on who did and did not play in those matches...or how well they performed.

Kenwyne certainly doesn't look like what most would assume a Tata player would. But, one has to remember that both Eales and Bocanegra said they started with a vision of how the club would play and they had that vision long before Tata came into their thinking - if you believe the chronology of the first episode of Unite and Conquer (believe that's the name of the FSS show). Surely both our club's president and it's DOF wouldn't waste an intl slot, cap space and Uncle Arthur's money on a player of Kenwyne's caliber without a plan of how to best use him or to just to turn around and get rid during his first season.

I think he'll be fine, find his role and the club will be better for it. This is MLS. There will be times when a big heavy will suit the our tactical approach to an opponent either to start a match or to end it.

As for Maicon,.....seems like one of those rumors that just doesn't fit with the club's stated approach to transfers. However, perhaps the man owns coaching badges and would like to play for/learn from one of the best. He would certainly bring a ton of leadership and respect to the right back position. That said, I'm currently very comfortable with the trio of Mears, Ambrose, Bloom.

8. Mach1

Mach1 Member+

Jun 27, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So apparently Kenwyne Jones and Chris McCann have had their green card applications approved:
    If Romario Williams is off to the Battery again, that means we'll be at 9 international players, and compliant with roster requirements.

9. SeaOtter

SeaOtter Member

Nov 7, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Proud my club have their sheot together

10. Autogolazo

Autogolazo BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
    FYI, Univision Deportes is doing an hour show this weekend called Expediente UDN that's all about Atlanta United.

Looks like interviews with Tata, Josef, etc and lots of good video.

It's on at midnight ET Sunday/11pm Sat central/9pm pac

GunnerJacket repped this.
  11. Dr. Dogfish

Dr. Dogfish Member

Aug 1, 2011
    Heart of Darkness
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Si tu entiendes espanol?

12. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Perfect! I've been slowly getting back into learning Spanish for the first time since high school in the 80's, and watching programs where I have a vested interest is great practice.

13. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. Dr. Dogfish

Dr. Dogfish Member

Aug 1, 2011
    Heart of Darkness
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Eleven Bravo repped this.
  15. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Done.

Waved my magic wand in your direction. Any luck? If not I blame Canada.

Eleven Bravo repped this.
  16. Dr. Dogfish

Dr. Dogfish Member

Aug 1, 2011
    Heart of Darkness
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Save that magic wand for tonight, boss. Give BWP rickets and gout and painful lesions on his inner thigh.

17. SeaOtter

SeaOtter Member

Nov 7, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A great way to practice hearing/listening to Spanish is the telenovela.....especially if you find out they are produced in Colombia. The actors enunciate and their accent is pretty neutral. Not the best television but, if you are lacking spanish speakers to practice with.....