2017 Team Lineup and Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Atlanta United FC' started by Eleven Bravo, Feb 9, 2017.

1. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Figure we need a thread for this; where we put the lineups for each game day and discuss player performance.

First game is coming up soon!

2. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My projected starting XI:

----------Jones---------
    Villlaba--Almiron--Martinez
    ----McCann-Carmona--
    Garza----------------Mears
    -----Pirez-----Robinson---
    --------Kann/Guzan------

Captain: ??? Anyone know? Jones? McCann? Carmona?

18: Kann/Tabakis, Ambrose/Bloom, Walkes/Parkhurst, Asad, Larentowicz/Gressel, Carleton, Vasquez

Bloom/Ambrose, Goslin, Gressel/Larentowiz, Heath, Otoo, Peterson, Loyd, Kratz, Walkes/Parkhurst, Williams

3. Mach1

Mach1 Member+

Jun 27, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're probably pretty close. Not 100% sure Jones is an automatic starter, to be honest. They may want more speed up top. Also not certain about McCann. I'd also put Parkhurst over Robinson right now.

That's partly because if I had to guess on a captain right now, I'd say Parkhurst. You're gonna want someone who's been in the league and knows what to expect from the refs in the league. He's also a known quantity; you can never be certain how foreign players will handle first playing in MLS, and you'd like to have some certainty on how your captain will behave.

Eleven Bravo repped this.
  4. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who wins the captaincy will be really interesting. The team is so young.

5. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Pretty much my thought, as well. McCann may be a senior player but he's new to MLS, Atlanta, etc. After a year under their belt maybe one of the pricier midfield names will take over or be co-captain.

- - -

Paper today implying the game might feature two wholly different line ups, one per half. Curious approach given the need to get team mates accustomed to each other, even if one is a pure B side. Also implying a 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 set up appears likely. Not sure how prone Tata is to adjusting lineups based on the opponent, and Lord knows league play is vastly different from national team play in that regards, but I do see opportunities for both based on the different styles we'll see in MLS. Assuming our lads perform up to par, of course.

So for this weekend I'm expecting we'll see if Jones can hold muster in the 4-3-3 configuration and contribute to the pressuring style Martino favors while Villalba and Co. develop some attacking chemistry. Should be clear early on if that formation bears fruit or struggles.

Anxious to see Lloyd, as well, and get a gauge on his health.

6. lemons

lemons Member

United States
    Nov 20, 2004
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Starting lineup for NYRB should be a 4-2-3-1: Kann; Garza, Pirez, Parkhurst, Mears; McCann, Carmona; Asad, Almirón, Villalba, Martínez.

7. lemons

lemons Member

United States
    Nov 20, 2004
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Also, Guzan can't get here soon enough.

8. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Wouldn't object. Jones will clearly have his work cut out for him to maintain pace and passing rhythm with the midfield based on our way-too-limited amount of actual game footage. At the least he'd better convert his chances or he'll risk being our first flop. (Based on his hype and wages, anyway.)

9. Dr. Dogfish

Dr. Dogfish Member

Aug 1, 2011
    Heart of Darkness
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the CFC game, he was the ONE player who didn't impress me - and that was against a semi-pro team. I'll need to see more from him holding up the ball and playing in the wingers. My first view of him was one of muted expectations . . .

However: Almiron was the business. The two wingers, Villalba and Asad, looked as good as advertised. As someone else pointed out, the two #6s will need to develop an understanding of how they'll play together. I thought McCann was bossing the game for long stretches of the first half, and I've always liked the work rate of Larentokwzitswen ... err, Laurenswoeiut . . . Big Red. Does his job, neat and tidy.

10. lemons

lemons Member

United States
    Nov 20, 2004
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Yeah, Larentowicz is a solid guy to have on the team. It just seems to me that, given the high profile nature of Carmona's acquisition, he will get the nod over Larentowciz. That being said, if either he or McCann have some poor performances, I don't think Tata will hesitate to bench either one of them. Having a MLS vet on the bench ready to jump in should provide plenty of motivation for the two people who play as holding midfielders.

11. SeaOtter

SeaOtter Member

Nov 7, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Parkhurst is the captain.

I'm thinking our lineup (for the opener) will wind up being something like:

-------------Martinez-------------

Asad-------Almiron-------Villalba

-----McCann-----Lawrentowitz---

Garza--------------------------Mears
    ----------Pirez------Parky----------

--------------Kann--------------------

Bench: Tambakis, Jones, Carleton, Gressel, Lloyd, Bloom, Carmona

I have Lloyd on the bench solely because he seems injured. If healthy and fit for the opener, he'd be in my starting lineup. We will need as much MLS experience as possible which is also why JeffLaw is in my lineup over Carmona.

Does anybody think a simple chant for Kann, while he's starting, could just be Khaaaaannnn!!! in our best Shatner voices every time he makes a save? The mispronunciation could be done for irony as I'm sure that no one has ever mispronounced it. I think he'd get it.

Eleven Bravo repped this.
  12. cc-atl

cc-atl Member

Jul 8, 2005
    That definitely could be the lineup. I think Jacob Peterson could be ahead of Carleton right now and potentially could take his spot in the 18. Also if Loyd and Carmona are still not fully fit then I think Miles Robinson and Kratz (or Heath) are on the bench instead.

13. Dr. Dogfish

Dr. Dogfish Member

Aug 1, 2011
    Heart of Darkness
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Based on the way Martino has used Carleton so far, i see him being an impact sub - or loaned out.

14. lemons

lemons Member

United States
    Nov 20, 2004
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Isn't he with Charleston now?

15. Dr. Dogfish

Dr. Dogfish Member

Aug 1, 2011
    Heart of Darkness
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He was sent there as soon as he was signed but not sure if it was meant to be a statement - thought it was more to keep him in fighting shape.

16. GoDawgsGo

GoDawgsGo Member+

Nov 11, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Last season. He's been with the ATL since training camp. Only the next week will tell what the final roster looks like and where he ends up. I predict he stays in ATL and dresses as a sub.

17. Mach1

Mach1 Member+

Jun 27, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The question is where would he develop better. If he'd be a regular starter for Charleston, that might be the better course. But Tata might prefer to keep him here so he can oversee his training, even if it means fewer minutes. He'll also be gone a decent amount of time with the YNT.

I'm with you. I think he stays in Atlanta, at least to start with. If he starts going several weeks without any minutes, you'll see him sent up to Charleston.

18. GoDawgsGo

GoDawgsGo Member+

Nov 11, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have no idea about this. Are MLS teams allowed to move them around at will all season? Can he roster with both teams if the logistics make sense? Maybe he can get some starts in with Charleston and some bench/sub time in with ATL.

19. Dr. Dogfish

Dr. Dogfish Member

Aug 1, 2011
    Heart of Darkness
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe you can loan MLS players much like you can Euro players - or MLB players for that matter. Send them down to get some field time.

20. Red & Black

Red & Black New Member

Feb 13, 2017
    ATL
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Carleton looks ready to me. He was one of our better players last night against Charleston.

21. Dr. Dogfish

Dr. Dogfish Member

Aug 1, 2011
    Heart of Darkness
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was he? He certainly was lively against Chattanooga- but that was a pub league outfit

22. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    IIRC... They can move up and down but not as freely as MLB players. They must be tied to contractual lengths and the Battery won't be interested in having a player they know can leave at a moment's notice, so usually it's for a full season or a half season, and then if called back it's presumed for the remainder of the season.

GoDawgsGo repped this.
  23. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Apparently Maicon is on his way to Atl Utd.

Personally, I'd say pass. He was a beast back in the day but at 35, I don't see him doing much marauding down the right flank anymore.

24. Dr. Dogfish

Dr. Dogfish Member

Aug 1, 2011
    Heart of Darkness
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maicon? I put him in the Kenwynne Jones category. I prefer the club's other roster strategy: target young up and coming south americans.

lemons repped this.
  25. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was excited about Jones but it appears he's going to be a bust. That said, for a brand new team, we are going to have to deal with the unknown. The true test is how quickly and appropriately do we respond to the players who aren't at the level we need them to be. For Jones, it's still probably too soon to get rid of him, but I wouldn't hold on to him for next season if he doesn't catch fire.