2017 Soccer but NOT Rapids Related

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by 22SteveD, Feb 25, 2017.

1. SccrDon

SccrDon Member+

Dec 4, 2001
    Colorado Springs
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Went to RFK many times, going back to Washington Senators (!) and Redskins games in the 60s and 70s. Saw Johan Cruyff play for the Washington Diplomats and the 1980 NASL Cup match. 2 World Cup matches in 1994, right before we moved to CO. Last time there was the US-Germany friendly in 2013 as part of USSF's 100th anniversary.

Lots of fond memories there, but the place is now a dump and needs to be replaced. Hope DCU actually get that stadium done.

jayd8888 repped this.
  2. fortcollins

fortcollins Member+

St. Louis City SC
    Apr 12, 2006
    Fort Collins
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kyle Field (Texas A&M) is another one that swayed a ton before it was retrofitted but IIRC, that was due to resonant frequency of a song.

3. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    Maybe the Rapids should sign Mallory Pugh. Her goal is at 2:04 in the video, though it's less impressive than some of the passes she made:

COMtnGuy repped this.
  4. Stuart95

Stuart95 Member+

Mar 11, 2012
    NoVA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The racoons have their side of the stadium and the fans have their side :)

COMtnGuy repped this.
  5. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In response to Ted Unkel's officiating in the Orlando-Chicago game on Sunday one of the leaders of the Orlando City SG The Ruckus (officially recognized by the team as a SG) posted the contact details for a business Unkel owns in Sarasota, encouraging Orlando fans to submit their feedback (hassle) to the business.

This is why we can't have nice things

(BTW, both red cards were fairly textbook when you saw the replays)

fortcollins and Stuart95 repped this.
  6. Stuart95

Stuart95 Member+

Mar 11, 2012
    NoVA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Repp'd for the Archer reference. However, this is incredible jackassery ... the Ruckus need to expel this hombre and apologize to Unkel. Anything else and they're complicit.

7. Stuart95

Stuart95 Member+

Mar 11, 2012
    NoVA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. fortcollins

fortcollins Member+

St. Louis City SC
    Apr 12, 2006
    Fort Collins
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Orlando City issued a statement about the Tweet. It's not the strongest statement.

The game is on the pitch, between the players and controlled by the officials. The game does not involve fans versus other fans or the players or officials. Unfortunately, we have see two incidents this year that cross the line: the SKC "fan" who confronted Howard and this yahoo. The vast majority of American soccer fans get it. A few - very few - loonies can ruin it for everyone else. I wholeheartedly agree with the upthread posts. Much stronger action needs to be taken by both Orlando City and their supporters group.

JasonMa repped this.
  9. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Totally agree that action against the ref is way out of bounds. It's just sport people.

fortcollins repped this.
  10. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sadly not only was it a week response the review committee has reportedly overturned the first red card. So the lesson here is make a big enough stink and the league will help you out with no consequences to you. SMH

http://imgur.com/Nu392Oe

11. jayd8888

jayd8888 Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Denver CO
    I don't know about having it overturned, but it did seem soft to me.

COMtnGuy repped this.
  12. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My thinking too, looks like 2 guys going for a 50/50 ball and both show studs and collide (while seeming unaware of other in area).

13. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Being unaware doesn't matter. The Orlando player puts his studs into the Chicago player's knee. That's textbook dangerous play. I'm stunned the committee overturned this.

Paranoid Coyote repped this.
  14. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's fine, I don't see it that way at all. Doyle getting ankle gashed against Swiss was more "cardable" to me then this one was.

15. jayd8888

jayd8888 Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Denver CO
    Ugh, don't remind me.

16. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. jayd8888

jayd8888 Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Denver CO
    I liked...
    "This lack of transparency and inherent inconsistency should be of concern to everyone –"

I know a guy that has been saying that for years on the Disco thread.

18. fortcollins

fortcollins Member+

St. Louis City SC
    Apr 12, 2006
    Fort Collins
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jason, thanks for sharing this. PSRA's letter is a calm, reasoned, measured response. The transparency and fairness issues are important, but the letter also raises a fundamental question about the structure of MLS soccer.

The MLS wants to have independent, professional officials, but at the same time wants to control them. This is a tension that needs to be resolved for soccer to take the next step here.

Soccer is a human sport played in real time. Humans err and hindsight reviews are not real time. Perfection on the pitch cannot be attained with imperfect people playing and officiating. Therefore, something less than perfection has to be the goal, and that's where professionalism comes into play. A professional game allows for human decisions, but expects a reasonable level of consistency for the level of the match being played. Strong deference needs to be given to the real-time decisions of the officiating crew. Until the review panel decision, this seemed to be the course. I share PSRA's concern that the review panel decision seems abrupt against the backdrop.

I'm left with a question. I think I know the answer, but if I'm right, I don't like the answer. Would the same level of scrutiny and same result happen if the play had occurred in a match not involving a popular playoff contending team, for example Philadelphia v. Colorado?

COMtnGuy, kucsdat, Sports Yak and 2 others repped this.
  19. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you know the answer too, and I also don't like it. And that, to me, might be even a bigger issue.

kucsdat, Rod1916 and fortcollins repped this.
  20. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh my lord. The responses to these tweets are the problem, not the PSRA's calls. Days like this I fear for humanity.

21. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    That's twitter for you.

fortcollins and JasonMa repped this.
  22. fortcollins

fortcollins Member+

St. Louis City SC
    Apr 12, 2006
    Fort Collins
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Twitter has degenerated into the forum of choice for angry, insecure people. I hope that the vast majority of soccer fans would agree with the PSRA's letter. I suspect that people who look at things objectively and can see the merit in another person's views rarely respond on Twitter.

PRO and the review panel have yet another red card to review. This review will be important, in light of the Orlando City Soccer Club issue.

Show Spoiler
    Sporting Kansas City v. Montreal Impact, June 10, in the 86'. Robert Sibiga issued a straight carton rouge to Montreal's Chris Duvall for a tackle on Roger Espinoza. Watch the highlight vid here. What does everybody think about the call? What will PRO and the review panel do with this call?

23. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    Howard on the bench at Azteca, in addition to 6 other changes from Thursday + 3 man back line, I hope Bruce Klinsmann knows what he is doing?

24. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    Apparently he does .

25. UxSxAxfooty

UxSxAxfooty Member+

Jan 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Edit: Result strongly implied below (not sure if allowed in this thread)

Don't get me wrong -- Klinsmann was well overdue to be removed from the helm -- but nothing is more BigSoccer than a forum that so derided three gritty, tactical performances to escape the Group of Death three years ago (to say nothing of the Copa America last year) now unanimously praising the genius of Bruce Arena's bunker in the Azteca.

Show Spoiler
    Which is not to say it wasn't genius. Or at least crazy. Great result. Team certainly appeared prepared and dialed in to the game plan.

COMtnGuy repped this.