2017 Soccer but NOT Rapids Related

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by 22SteveD, Feb 25, 2017.

1. fortcollins

fortcollins Member+

St. Louis City SC
    Apr 12, 2006
    Fort Collins
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It seems appropriate that a spirited discussion of champions occurs in the "Soccer but NOT Rapids-Related" thread.

22SteveD, Dom. FC, AlbertCamus and 3 others repped this.
  2. fortcollins

fortcollins Member+

St. Louis City SC
    Apr 12, 2006
    Fort Collins
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    COMtnGuy repped this.
  3. Paranoid Coyote

Paranoid Coyote Member+

Oct 21, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did you guys know that the Mexican National Team was training in Denver ahead of their matching in LA vs. Croatia on June 1st? The company I work for was extended an invite by the Rapids to take in a Sunday training session.

kucsdat repped this.
  5. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You can say Transamerica, we all know it by now ;)

COMtnGuy and wormhole repped this.
  6. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I break all kinds of rules and this is a "private event" that is supposedly hush-hush. So I will at least ummmmm you know ummmmm just say "company". Nah....F**** that who cares. . :)

Rod1916, JasonMa and jayd8888 repped this.
  7. fortcollins

fortcollins Member+

St. Louis City SC
    Apr 12, 2006
    Fort Collins
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The middle school squabble between Brian Schmetzer and the Timbers' mascot is amusing.

On Wednesday, Schmetzer said this about Timber Joey:

“Well, I don’t like it I can tell you that,” Schmetzer said when asked about Timber Joey’s tradition of slicing a log slab after every Portland goal at Providence Park. “I mean that log and his whatever – I don’t even know if he’s a real lumberman or whether he’s just a guy. I’ll do a little digging on that and I’ll get back to you.”​

On Thursday, Portland's mascot gave a classic reply when he replied on Twitter "sorry. I had to look up who Brian Schmetzer was...."

Dunno, but I wouldn't want to pick a fight with a dude whose forearms look like a Grizzly and who has a chainsaw in his hand.

The MLS is developing some fun goal traditions. I think Portland's goal celebration is cool. (This season, ANY goal celebration would be cool, but that's another issue.) Montreal's bell is another fun one.

SccrDon, 22SteveD and UxSxAxfooty repped this.
  8. UxSxAxfooty

UxSxAxfooty Member+

Jan 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We should develop a shot on goal tradition.

Low hanging fruit, I know...

jayd8888, AlbertCamus, 22SteveD and 3 others repped this.
  9. Paranoid Coyote

Paranoid Coyote Member+

Oct 21, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This classic would be a good tradition for this year.

It never gets old.

10. fortcollins

fortcollins Member+

St. Louis City SC
    Apr 12, 2006
    Fort Collins
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It takes a while to develop any tradition. I'm not sure the Rapids will have enough SOGs by the end of this season to get in enough practice on a tradition. About the only game tradition I've developed this year is the reflexive two-handed facepalm.

11. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd be happy with a tradition of shooting on goal...

12. wormhole

wormhole Member

Mar 25, 2009
    Westminster, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We do, literally a shot on goal per game tradition.

13. 22SteveD

22SteveD Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2011
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just caught a bit of Sounders v Timbers, they said Geiger will be refereeing in the Federation cup in Russia this summer. I'm surprised because he had some really bad games last season, isn't this suppose to only go to best referees ?

14. 22SteveD

22SteveD Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2011
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Totti's final game

[​IMG]

http://www.espnfc.com/as-roma/story...ti-on-retirement-im-not-ready-to-say-its-over

My study abroad coincided with Totti's first games with AS Roma as a 16yo. Was my first experience with "Big Time" Soccer and my first game I saw live just happened to be the Derby di Roma which was an completely insane atmosphere back then. The stadium literally looked like it was on fire and I also learned that it was almost as bad to wear neither team colors as wearing Lazio's colors and I still own the jersey (no name or number- Roma was not good back then) I purchased on way into the game.

I have seen a lot of soccer played in a lot of different countries since then but not sure if anything will bump it from the top of my experiences list. Tutta la mia vita è Giallorossa

Dom. FC, SccrDon, jayd8888 and 5 others repped this.
  15. fortcollins

fortcollins Member+

St. Louis City SC
    Apr 12, 2006
    Fort Collins
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The ASG is juuuuust a tad pricey this year.

The game is August 2, in Chicago's giant toilet bowl built on top of Soldier Field. Yes, Real Madrid is the opponent, and it would be fun to see them play. But yikes. A nosebleed seat requiring binoculars to see the players is $50 to $75. End zone upper seats are $80 to $90. End zone lower seats are $125. Anything in the lower sections with a view of the touchline is $250 to $300. The special ticket packages are $450 to $800 per ticket.

AlbertCamus repped this.
  16. 22SteveD

22SteveD Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2011
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    SccrDon repped this.
  17. jayd8888

jayd8888 Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Denver CO
    kucsdat repped this.
  18. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    So...Gold Cup. Is this traditionally the Gold Cup no one cares about and sends B teams? I assume Mexico will, since they'll be in the Confed Cup.

Will the new format change the type of teams that will be sent? Will the US go all in so they can win it with Mexico's starters being in the other tournament?

19. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In past years, yes, this is the one nobody cared about. Now that both Gold Cups get you a shot at the Confederations Cup though, who knows.

20. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So federations always send their best teams but in the scheme of things really a b/c side. With Depth we now seem to have I and Mexico I still think regardless of who is sent we are still the 2 favorites.

21. fortcollins

fortcollins Member+

St. Louis City SC
    Apr 12, 2006
    Fort Collins
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's a nice article on mlssoccer.com about Minnesota United's new stadium. The article links to the stadium construction page of the team website, which has more information. A few highlights:
    • The stadium will be ready for the start of the 2019 season. (Or, in Rapids-land, the start of the 2020 preseason.)
    • Capacity will be 19,600. That seems awfully small for a large metro area stadium. It also appears to be a slight down-size from the original stadium announcement.
    • The stadium page contains this odd statement: "The building has been designed to be bird-safe . . ." There are bird-killing stadiums? Well, other than the fried chicken restaurants?
    Kidding aside, the stadium looks nice. It's in a convenient location in St. Paul, right off I-94 and on a light rail line. The best irony? MNUFC's sponsor is Target. The stadium will be next door to a Wal-Mart. It looks like parking could be a challenge, since the stadium will sit in the heart of an established neighborhood.

jayd8888 repped this.
  22. jayd8888

jayd8888 Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Denver CO
    I'm guessing that I won't be surprised if I go there and see that it is covered in pigeon shit.

23. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is probably a reference to the new Vikings stadium in Minneapolis, which due to its glass exterior has resulted in numbers bird strikes/deaths.

fortcollins repped this.
  24. Paranoid Coyote

Paranoid Coyote Member+

Oct 21, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or a reference to RFK, which is raccoon safe.

ElJefe, Stuart95, fortcollins and 3 others repped this.
  25. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good ole RFK, Still remember getting unnerved by the swaying stands when fans get into games.

SccrDon repped this.