2017 Soccer but NOT Rapids Related

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by 22SteveD, Feb 25, 2017.

1. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting idea, I think it's plausible

kucsdat repped this.
  2. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    "The last time this occured in Salt Lake, Jason Kreis retired on the spot and became the head coach. Some are speculating history could repeat itself."

So Orlando City SC will have an opening after Kreis 'retires' to go back to RSL? ;>)

3. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nope says right there Beckerman. However it turned out to be that they are hosting ManU in friendly.

4. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    ManU at FSL. Evil from two different universes collides. It's like Darth Vader verse Voldemort.

5. fortcollins

fortcollins Member+

St. Louis City SC
    Apr 12, 2006
    Fort Collins
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With ongoing expansion, the MLS is running into problems with the "Homegrown Player" territories. The league will need to rethink the concept in the next few years, and that will inevitably result in changes to the structure of U.S. soccer.

For example, the Rapids' "territory" predictably includes Colorado. But it also includes sharing New Mexico with the Portland Timbers (?!?!?!), except for the El Paso commuter areas in New Mexico, which belong to the Houston Dynamo.

Other examples are even crazier. Sporting Kansas City has the entire states of Missouri, Kansas, and Oklahoma. What does that do to possible expansion into St. Louis? Or (eventually) into Oklahoma City? RSL has the entire states of Utah and Arizona. What does that do to possible expansion into Phoenix?

Once upon a time, Philadelphia Union fans posted a helpful map of the bizarre territorial claims, but I can't find an updated version.

Under the current rules for signing homegrown players, there is no limit to the number of players who can be signed, but the players must play for the club's youth academy for at least a year. What happens when one team's academy is located in another team's territory? What happens when expansion teams buy up existing academies, in order to snag the rights to their players? What happens when teams pounce on players developed by other systems who happen to attend academies in their territories?

Just something to keep an eye on in this expansion frenzy.

jayd8888 and AlbertCamus repped this.
  6. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually we get the El Paso commuter areas in New Mexico and their not shared with Portland. Houston isn't mentioned at all (according to that link in the Union page).

7. Stuart95

Stuart95 Member+

Mar 11, 2012
    NoVA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is it the territory a player comes from or whether are not they were affiliated with a team's DA that makes them home grown? I thought that was the rationale for the Carolina Rapids and the affilation with the Independence, to give access to a larger player pool.

COMtnGuy repped this.
  8. fortcollins

fortcollins Member+

St. Louis City SC
    Apr 12, 2006
    Fort Collins
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks! I stand corrected. Relearning geography the MLS way is difficult.

9. fortcollins

fortcollins Member+

St. Louis City SC
    Apr 12, 2006
    Fort Collins
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here is the best shot I can take at decoding the MLS homegrown player rules:
    • Teams have "dibs" on players in their geographic territories. To make them homegrown, teams must sign the players, have the players in a team academy for at least one year, have the players "necessary training and retention requirements" and never let them out of contract.
    • States and parts of states that are not assigned to teams are "no man's land." Any team may prowl for players in such states and areas. To make them homegrown, they must still be signed and play for the team's academy and meet "necessary training and retention requirements" and never be let out of contract.
    • Academies within the protected territory may devour any player who sets foot into the academy. If players are signed and complete the requisite time in the academy and meet "necessary training and retention requirements" and are never let out of contract, the team claims them. (That's what the Sporks did with an international player in the article cited in my earlier post.)
    Here is the language from the MLS roster rules:

Homegrown Players
    Players signed through the Homegrown Player mechanism (see below in Player Acquisition Mechanisms) will receive the designation of "Homegrown Player" on a club's roster.

• There is no limit to the number of Homegrown Players a club may sign in a given year.
    • Homegrown Players may occupy a spot on the Senior, Supplemental, or Reserve Roster.
      • If a Homegrown Player is initially added to a Club's Supplemental or Reserve Roster and subsequently moved to the Senior Roster, he cannot be moved back to the Supplemental or Reserve Roster except if he is earning either (i) the Senior Minimum Salary Budget Charge or (ii) Reserve Minimum Salary
    The reference in the rules to the allocation process links to this clause:

Homegrown Players Signings
    A club may sign a player to a contract without subjecting him to the MLS SuperDraft if the player has been a member of a club's youth academy for at least one year and has met the necessary training and retention requirements. Players joining MLS through this mechanism are known as Homegrown Players.

There is no limit to the number of Homegrown Players a club may sign in a given year.​

The "necessary training and retention requirements" mandates that the players never be released from their contracts and must actually train with the team. Beyond that, the process is like most things in the MLS: clear as a brick.

Short answer: North Carolina does not yet appear to be assigned to any team. The Rapids don't have any territorial claim on North Carolina, but having a USL presence there helps the team prowl for players. I think.

jayd8888 and Stuart95 repped this.
  10. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As I remember it, the deals the Rapids made with the academies in Vegas, South Dakota, and North Carolina include the ability to make any players found through them into homegrown players. Though that would probably involve having those kids come to Denver for training somehow.

jayd8888, fortcollins and Stuart95 repped this.
  11. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    Ugh, Seamus Coleman is one of my favorite players and his leg was broken in Ireland's game vs Wales. Brings back bad memories of a certain Rapids game.

SccrDon repped this.
  12. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is more- last year MLS set new HG precedent by giving SKC rights to a top youth player who never, ever played for their academy (and most likely heading to Europe).

13. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fingers crossed this happens

Totoro, jayd8888 and Bridgeman repped this.
  15. kucsdat

kucsdat Member

Jul 12, 2012
    Sports Yak, jayd8888, COMtnGuy and 2 others repped this.
  16. fortcollins

fortcollins Member+

St. Louis City SC
    Apr 12, 2006
    Fort Collins
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like Petke. He's one of those guys who absorbed everything about the game during his playing days, and who has the skills to manage players. He has a tough task ahead of him with RSL. His appointment as their head coach may shuffle the deck a bit in the west.

kucsdat repped this.
  17. fortcollins

fortcollins Member+

St. Louis City SC
    Apr 12, 2006
    Fort Collins
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting trade: Vancouver ships Kekuta Manneh to Columbus in exchange for Tony Tchani, $75K GAM, $225K TAM, a share of an international transfer fee, additional GAM for an in-league transfer, and a conditional first round pick.

PhunkJunkee repped this.
  18. PhunkJunkee

PhunkJunkee New Member

Rapids
    United States
    Mar 23, 2017

If only we had a need at striker and a defensive mid to spare, we could have had one of the most promising up-and-coming strikers in the league who at 22 already has 5 years of professional soccer experience. Thanks Mr Kronke!!! Great work Mr Hinchey!!!

unnamed.png

COMtnGuy repped this.
  19. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep, he would be great on the wing, oh well.

20. Bridgeman

Bridgeman Member

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Feb 25, 2006
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Atl v Sea 0-0. Atlanta has a team. Interested to see how they hold up rest of the year.

kucsdat repped this.
  21. Rod1916

Rod1916 Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Don't recall which forum had the San Diego team name vote conversation, but they invalidated that name. Said it was an April Fools thing and trolled by LAG and LAFC.

I actually bet it was the winner across all regions, Lord knows they would have become my second team (sorry Portland) had they gone through with it. Hard to get behind Landycakes, but the name would have done it.

Not sure they make the cut for a future franchise, but I think this type of rivalry thing with LAG and LAFC goes a long way to move up the food chain. Particularly with all the digs at the Chargers leaving (same model Seattle used when they were starting).

At a minimum, I am going to get a Tshirt (http://www.sdsoccercity.com/footy). If I was them, I would keep it as a second name or second mascot (like Rapidman).

rod.

jayd8888 repped this.
  22. Stuart95

Stuart95 Member+

Mar 11, 2012
    NoVA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Colorado Springs tied OKC 1-1 in their home opener in a snow storm

jayd8888 repped this.
  23. fortcollins

fortcollins Member+

St. Louis City SC
    Apr 12, 2006
    Fort Collins
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chicago v. Montreal
    Some thoughts on this game as it relates to the Rapids

Show Spoiler
    Chicago was the MLS doormat in 2016. The Fire retooled in the offseason. Their match with Montreal showed some offensive life that has been missing in Chicago for several years. Dax McCarty has settled into his role as distributor, and now has two key targets: Bastian Schweinsteiger and Luis Solignac (yep). Each scored against Montreal, Schweinsteiger early for a 1-0 lead and Solignac off the bench in second half stoppage to salvage the point in a 2-2 match that ended 10-on-10. Schweinsteiger is a couple steps slower and lacks the stamina he had a few years ago, but his game awareness and anticipation raise Chicago's game to a much higher level. He went 90' against Montreal. By game's end, he and Solignac were reading each other well, and that tandem could be trouble going forward. Chicago's defense is sloppy, cannot read quick counters, and is suspect in goal. Bottom line: Chicago has improved, and will be trouble when the Rapids make the trip east in May.

Montreal isn't hitting on all cylinders. They had a few mind-numbing defensive lapses against Chicago, and would have lost to a better team. They have a quick counter and that could be trouble for Colorado, in the absence of Cronin in the middle of the pitch. The Rapids don't see Montreal until late September, and a LOT could change for both teams by then.

SccrDon repped this.
  24. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    Feels weird with the Rapids off while the other teams are playing. Vancouver played. What's more daunting, being behind 2-0 with a home game, or up 2-1 with a road game? I suppose it's always better to be up.

Strange to see the Galaxy looking up at Minnesota in the standings. Cabrera seems to know how to get production out of Cubo Torres.

jayd8888 and COMtnGuy repped this.
  25. Stuart95

Stuart95 Member+

Mar 11, 2012
    NoVA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States