2017 Soccer but NOT Rapids Related

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by 22SteveD, Feb 25, 2017.

1. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think you can say that in 2006 MLS or Beckham knew where he'd put that team. But yes, MLS was infatuated with Beckham.

COMtnGuy repped this.
  2. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Of course downtown stadiums are better, but they have to paid for. I don't see Austin or Columbus building them one. I think this going to end with Precourt getting a discounted expansion team somewhere.

3. Rod1916

Rod1916 Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I could see Austin doing it. We lived there a number of years before moving up here. If they view having a MLS stadium as being a "cool" thing, it would happen. Probably not right downtown, but just north of it on the west side where the old team used to play. Or on the north-side or south-side of town where a lot of the growth is happening (which wouldn't be downtown). Or down by Zilker park where tons of people play in surprisingly competitive amateur games (near downtown given the walking trail around Town Lake).

If they can build a F1 track, a soccer-specific stadium wouldn't be a huge issue.

rod.

4. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I was going to start a thread in this forum about the play-offs, but then realized that "2017 Soccer but not Rapids related" will serve. The Wild Card round is this week. On Wednesday--
    Chicago - NYRB 6:30PM, Fox Sports 1
    Van - SJ Earthquakes 8:30, UniMas

On Thursday--
    Atlanta - Columbus, 5PM, ESPN2
    Houston - SKC, 7:30 UniMas

Waiting in the wings is Toronto and NYCFC, and Portland and Seattle.

What games are you looking forward to? Rooting interests? Predictions, etc...

I am looking forward to the Columbus game. I hope they do well now, just to make things awkward for the league vis-a-vie the move. I also like Toronto, I'd like to see a good team win it for once, but not Portland, Seattle, SKC, NYFC, or Atlanta. So my choices are thin. I also think the Chicago v RedBulls game will be good.

jayd8888 repped this.
  5. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    Everton canned Ronald Koeman. It wouldn't be a huge surprise as they've looked amazingly flat in so many different places (home, road, Prem Lg, Europa Lg).

Except they seemed like they went through a lot of effort to pry him loose from Southampton, and the team did well last season. But they are now sitting in 18th, and they spent their Lukuaku windfall and then some.

Their play is just bizarro this season. It's hard to describe, it's just lacking everywhere except goal keeping. All field positions, energy, etc.

7. Paranoid Coyote

Paranoid Coyote Member+

Oct 21, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looking forward to Seattle losing in the most embarrassing way possible (please Santa!).

Rooting for:
    [​IMG]
    because of geography and I like the color combo.

Prediction?
    [​IMG]
    PAIN! (of course)

COMtnGuy repped this.
  8. jayd8888

jayd8888 Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Denver CO
    Want to see Michael Bradley play angry and win the cup.

COMtnGuy and AlbertCamus repped this.
  9. JackSwaninCO

JackSwaninCO Member

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Swansea City AFC
    I couldn't care less about Bradley, but I'd love to see Moor and Irwin with the cup.

On the other hand, I think Atlanta winning would be a big arrow into the heart of the rest of MLS on club building. Plus, even though he couldn't pass a ball forward for his life, there's be another ex-rapid with the trophy with the ginger ninja.

As long as it isn't Seattle or a boring match, I'll ultimately be happy.

jayd8888, Totoro and AlbertCamus repped this.
  10. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does this mean Seattle didn't found soccer in the USA?

12. Paranoid Coyote

Paranoid Coyote Member+

Oct 21, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's just a new release of MLS. Seattle is nothing more than an MLS 2.0 team in the MLS 3.0 ecosystem, old code.

COMtnGuy, Stuart95 and Rod1916 repped this.
  13. Rod1916

Rod1916 Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Now they know what it feels like We are still MLS 1.0, but really hoping we can jump forward a little bit.

COMtnGuy repped this.
  14. Rod1916

Rod1916 Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I am in Atlanta for a quick work trip. Pretty impressive how many people not only know about the playoff game, but are going. Lots of people walking around in jersey's (although to be fair some Columbus jerseys as well).

The news crews are all onsite at the stadium for live broadcasts. They are excited because they are opening up the upper deck for the game.

Given that Atlanta is similar to Denver in that they have teams in the major sports which could be considered competition. So, no real excuse as to why we couldn't do something similar if ran properly......

rod.

Paranoid Coyote and jayd8888 repped this.
  15. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of course the Atlanta metro area has twice the population of Denver's. So there's less resources for that competition.

jayd8888 repped this.
  16. jayd8888

jayd8888 Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Denver CO
    Denver is the smallest five sport city. Iirc

AlbertCamus, Rod1916 and JasonMa repped this.
  17. jayd8888

jayd8888 Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Denver CO
    Man I wish I was there.

18. Rod1916

Rod1916 Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I suggest there is less disposable income in the Atlanta area than Denver area. So, when looking at those that might have the disposable income to actually attend a major sporting event we are probably closer than pure population numbers might suggest.

rod.

19. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A "that's so Rapids/KSE" moment during Columbus-ATL. The Nuggets ad that aired just before 2nd half kickoff finished with a logo card promoting the Nuggets home opener....last Saturday.

AlbertCamus, SccrDon, COMtnGuy and 3 others repped this.
  20. fortcollins

fortcollins Member+

St. Louis City SC
    Apr 12, 2006
    Fort Collins
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Atlanta has more people in their stadium than the entire population of Broomfield.

Rod1916 repped this.
  21. Sports Yak

Sports Yak Member+

Jul 17, 2007
    Lakewood
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    How good was that first save in penalty kicks? Got to look at Steffens for the US team at keep. Wow.

22. Rod1916

Rod1916 Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Having lived in the B'field for 15 years, I appreciate this tremendously. You have my respect, sir.

rod.

23. Rod1916

Rod1916 Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    He had a hell of a game. So glad the bananas won it to stick it to the move talk (and I like Austin a lot).

Hated seeing Ginger Ninja "rapid it" at the end, though. (play on words from Jason's favorite phrase "coug-it".)

JasonMa, fortcollins and JackSwaninCO repped this.
  24. jayd8888

jayd8888 Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Denver CO
    Yeah he "Dubbed" one off the post.

25. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team: