2017 Soccer but NOT Rapids Related

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by 22SteveD, Feb 25, 2017.

1. 22SteveD

22SteveD Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2011
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shame to see Claudio Ranieri sacked at Leicester, anyone think there's any chance Rapids would sack PM regardless of how bad any season goes from here?

My hope is to see Ranieri here in Colorado, unfortunately it would most be likely visiting with another team.

COMtnGuy repped this.
  2. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Meanwhile I'm very happy to see ex-Houston manager Owen Coyle sacked at Blackburn. :D

fortcollins repped this.
  3. fortcollins

fortcollins Member+

St. Louis City SC
    Apr 12, 2006
    Fort Collins
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #3 fortcollins, Feb 26, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2017
    Ditto on Coyle. Blackburn may be one of the few teams with ownership so bad that it makes Kroenke look acceptable. Since Venky's bought the Rovers and immediately sacked Big Sam, who had only miraculously saved the team from relegation and moved it to mid-table, they have blown through what? Six? Seven? managers and been relegated once and in peril of relegation again. Off the top of my head, I can name Kean, Bowyer, Lambert and Coyle and I know there were several short-timers scattered in there.

kucsdat repped this.
  4. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mowbray is number 7 for Venky's. You left off Henning Berg (57 days, shortest tenure in club history, also the only non-British/Irish manager in club history) and Michael Appleton (67 days, 2nd shortest in club history).

That's 7 managers in about 6.5 years.

kucsdat and fortcollins repped this.
  5. Stuart95

Stuart95 Member+

Mar 11, 2012
    NoVA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. Rod1916

Rod1916 Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    kucsdat and AvaiBunton repped this.
  7. AvaiBunton

AvaiBunton Member

Oct 24, 2010
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Made me laugh loud enough to wake my dog from his slumber!

8. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #8 COMtnGuy, Mar 1, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2017
    22SteveD and SccrDon repped this.
  9. AvaiBunton

AvaiBunton Member

Oct 24, 2010
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    JacMac got released from PDX...I mean what does the RFO have to lose if they attempt and actually sign him?

I'd assume he'd take time away from Badj and maybe Gordon.

10. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This isn't directly Rapids related but its a good tactical analysis of Bundesliga side Hoffenheim, which also has a young manager and plays with 6 focused on defense and 4 focused on attack. Though they do it much better than Colorado. In their manager's first full season of coaching top flight soccer (he had been a youth coach prior to last year when he took over mid-season) he has Hoffenheim 4th in the league after they narrowly avoided relegation last year.

22SteveD repped this.
  11. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    I did not see the Timbers-Minnesota game...that's some scoreline for your first game. Anyone watch? Is MinnUtd filled with USL players or something?

I remember pre-season concerns as they seemed to be lagging behind in signings, especially compared to Atlanta.

12. UxSxAxfooty

UxSxAxfooty Member+

Jan 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Watched the first half before dozing off. They were staying compact then and struggling to maintain any kind of possession or build up. Their hold up play wasn't good. Still, Portland's first 2 goals were pretty opportunistic. Watching the highlights this morning, looks to me like the wheels fell off for Minnesota late.

kucsdat, 22SteveD and Totoro repped this.
  13. 22SteveD

22SteveD Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2011
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep wheels fell off after the PK but they were struggling (not sure if cause is all new squad playing together for first time or talent) the whole game.

14. Stuart95

Stuart95 Member+

Mar 11, 2012
    NoVA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Like USA Footy I watched the first half ... Minnesota had a few moments but looked bleak. Can't wait for our game against them in two weeks. Best thing about the game was the tifo:

AlbertCamus, jayd8888 and 22SteveD repped this.
  15. spot

spot Member+

Nov 29, 1999
    Centennial
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is impressive...

16. fischerw

fischerw Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    Joplin, MO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I watched the whole Minnesota game. They are sort of my second team now (was hoping they'd be put in the Eastern Conference, but oh well!).

Honestly I thought they looked competitive for most of the game until the wheels fell off after the PK, as someone above said.

They're not relying on NASL players, really-- Justin Davis started but he was the only starting-lineup holdover from the NASL team. Christian Ramirez was on the NASL team, too-- and when he came into the game, he looked very dangerous and scored a nice goal.

I think the main problem is there are too many new players without MLS experience.

Overall-- I think they're gonna have a tough season, but I also don't think that the 5-1 loss to Portland is truly indicative.

17. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
  18. Paranoid Coyote

Paranoid Coyote Member+

Oct 21, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #18 Paranoid Coyote, Mar 6, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2017
    Was at the ATL-NYRB game tonight, they did a good job for their first tifo (sorry for the poor photo, tifo says "Unite and Conquer"):

[​IMG]

Large crowd with good knowledge of the sport (at least the ones around me). 55k at the game and most were on their feet the entire time. Great to see the town embracing the team. The crowd unfortunately did get a little stupid at the end of the game with the "********" chant and throwing things on the field. Hopefully they'll get that under control ASAP.

AlbertCamus, jayd8888, Stuart95 and 2 others repped this.
  19. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    That's great you were able to be at that game. The team was entertaining.

20. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    Very impressed by crowds/atmosphere at Atlanta and Orlando, sad to see Seattle now in 4th place behind them and Portland in stadium experience when after all they invented the game.
    More seriously a weekend to be very proud of what our domestic league has become while other professional sports seem to be seeing plateaus or even declines.

(Monday earworm -- good for all week?)

21. kucsdat

kucsdat Member

Jul 12, 2012
    Rumors that Mix might be going to Sweden (IFK Göteborg). However, Mix' 2016 salary is triple the amount of the highest paid player there, and the club will not pay Mix that much. A club manager, Mats Gren, states that the negotiations are complicated and they do not know if they can come to an agreement with MLS. A loan might be an option, and a "maybe something like that, but I can't confirm" on the question whether MLS would continue to pay part of Mix' salary as he is still under contract with MLS.
    One way or the other, Mix currently is in Göteborg (a town "slightly" smaller than NY with a population of 556,640 last year).

22. SccrDon

SccrDon Member+

Dec 4, 2001
    Colorado Springs
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Goteborg (usually written Gothenburg in English) is a cool city on Sweden's west coast. Was lucky enough to spend a day wandering through the city with my wife and daughter 3 years ago. Would love to go back.

jayd8888, kucsdat and Rod1916 repped this.
  23. Rod1916

Rod1916 Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I was fortunate to spend 6 months there (some time ago). A great city that I truly enjoyed. Reminded me a lot of an Oregon coastal city, only bigger (not Washington state cities, though, since we all know Washington state cities all suck).

Not sure if he will like it there if NYC is his goal. Not a long ferry ride to Copenhagen, but not sure one would want to that just for a little nightlife.

rod.

Paranoid Coyote and kucsdat repped this.
  24. kucsdat

kucsdat Member

Jul 12, 2012
    I love Göteborg (my home city), but am the first to say that it is not NYC ;) Glad to hear you enjoyed your time there!

SccrDon and Rod1916 repped this.
  25. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Absolutely unreal come back by Barcelona to overcome 4 goal deficits to knock PSG out of Champions League.

AlbertCamus and SccrDon repped this.