2017 Season Team and Starting XI thread

Discussion in 'Atlanta United FC' started by Eleven Bravo, Jul 30, 2017.

1. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Although we're already half over with the season; hoping to have one thread where we discuss the squad and starting XI.

*Note to the mod, maybe we might want to sticky this and the general news*
    --------------

For starters, as of July 30, 2017 our XI looks to be:

------Villalba(Martinez)------
    Asad---Almiron----Gressel
    --Carmona--Larentowicz--
    Garza---------------------Walkes
    -------Parkhurst--Pirez------
    -------------Guzan------------

For subs, we have Vazquez, Jones, Ambrose, Kratz, McCann, Peterson, Carleton, Wheeler, Mears

----------

A look at player salaries https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.di...united-2017-salaries-full-list-miguel-almiron

Almiron $1.9 mil
    Ambrose $65k
    Asad $150k
    Bloom $99k (we could probably cut)
    Carleton $65k
    Garza $150k
    Gonzalez Pirez $250k
    Goslin $70k
    Gressel $75k
    Heath $65k
    Jones $390k (need to cut)
    Kratz $150k (need to cut)
    Larentowicz $175k
    Loyd $85k (need to cut)
    Martinez $925k
    McCann $540k (need to cut)
    Mears $183k (need to cut)
    Otoo $53k
    Parkhurst $325k
    Peterson $165k (need to cut)
    Reynish $65k
    Robinson $125k
    Rochez $200k (what's the story with him?)
    Tambakis $65k
    Vazquez $100k
    Villalba $663k
    Walkes $53k
    Wheeler-Omiunu $53k
    Williams $65k

-----
    Ideally, we need to be in the market for a starting quality CB, a FW, and a RB....maybe also a CDM.

2. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Forward: This is a hard one. I might say it'd be awesome if we could persuade Aron Johansson to come back and if he were able to join, but that may be difficult with MLS restrictions. We may need to see what gems might be available on the international market, as most teams are going to hold onto worthy strikers.

Center Back: In an ideal world, we could squeeze SKC to trade Eric Palmer-Brown to Atlanta, but I doubt they're going to let him go, as it seems Vermes has held EPB's career hostage.

Center Defensive Midfield: If we could go big and get EPB, he'd be a great option for both CB and CDM. But another player, who might be realistic, depending on MLS restrictions, might be Caleb Stanko, who seems to be a good understudy for Jeff Larentowicz.

Right Back: Personally, I believe Keegan Rosenberry is the man who needs to be highest on our list right now. I think he fits well into our system, and he's wasting away at the Union right now.

3. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thoughts on the transfer window?

Personally I'm a bit disappointed. Boswell is alright for depth in a position we needed, but you can put a fork in him by at least the end of next season. Ultimately, we didn't address our desperate need for a right back. And, with Josef's injury concerns, we should have tried to get some back up at forward.

4. Gunner

Gunner Member

Apr 19, 1999
    Marietta, Ga USA
    No thoughts really. Didn't hear many rumors around us at all. Have no idea who may have been offered or who we took a run at unsuccessfully. Perhaps the brass was feeling that with Josef, Kenwyn, and Bloom being available again they have the depth they need to finish the season strong.

I do like that we're not mortgaging the future for a quick near term hit. Actually GAINING TAM dollars to help with any off season movement. The team has also done a good job in getting green cards for players to open up international roster spots (Thinking Kenwyn and McCann off the top). Gives us flexibility.

I'd be interested in learning the team's feelings on Carleton and Robinson with regards to being first team ready. Should we expect to see them getting regular minutes in 2018?

The front office has taken few false steps to date so I'm giving they've earned the benefit of the doubt and a long leash with me

5. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Would have been nice too to try and go after Eric Lichaj.

6. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For all intents and purposes, I'd be thrilled if we are the first real expansion team to make it to the playoffs. That cannot be overstated enough. That said, I am worried that we didn't try to fix some holes in the transfer window. Perhaps it's better to do it not in the middle of the season, but we've become way too predictable, our defense is sorely lacking quality, and we are carrying a lot of dead weight on the roster.

7. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I'll offer more thoughts next week after Arsenal complete phase one of their demise in this transfer window. In the meantime...

Part of the reason AU likely didn't do anything is the limited options available. At least, among available MLS talent. Coaches are thinking about chemistry, players have to be interested in what you're offering, etc. I think Coach Tata and company felt trying to push too hard and change too much while still in the first season might prove overwhelming. Maybe if they had been able to readily off-load a player, too.

If I'm not mistaken since Martinez' injury they haven't had the same line-up play together for more than 4 games in a row, which is rather odd for a playoff team.

8. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After tonight's game, we haven't clinched a playoff spot yet, but it would be almost unheard of at this point not to.

Given that we are playing an ungodly amount of consecutive games back to back, and the strain it's taking on our players; do we rotate the young guys once we've qualified?

Now, I don't want to mess up our tempo, but I think it would be a real shame if we didn't.

Guys, I'd like to see rotate in: let's see what our young guys can do, Andrew Carleton, Lagos Kunga, Miles Robinson, Brandon Vasquez, and Chris Goslin. Add in Kenwyne Jones to give him another shot. Maybe give Mears some more time too. Romario Williams could earn some minutes, as well. On another note, discovered we have parted ways with Bryan Rochez.

Guys, I'd like to see get some rest: Asad, Villalba, Almiron, Parkhurst, Carmona, Larentowicz, and LGP. Now, we may not drop them all together, but consciously give some rest.

For instance, we may try out a XI

-------------Martinez-------------
    Carleton--Gressel--Asad/Villalba
    -----McCann/Katz---Carmona/JeffL---
    Garza/McCann/Mears----Walkes/Mears
    --------Bos/Robinson--LGP/Parky---
    ----------------Guzan----------------

Subs for Martinez: Vasquez, Jones o

9. Mabee

Mabee Member

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Jul 26, 2017
    Carleton and Goslin are at the U-17 World Cup and therefore won't be available. From what I understand the U-17 WC training/camp schedule is what has kept them off of the bench as they aren't available to train with the first team as much.

Eleven Bravo repped this.
  10. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For New England, squad guesses??

I'd rest some players but still keep a strong squad.

--------Martinez-------
    Asad---Gressel---Peterson
    --McCann----Kratz----
    Garza---------------Mears
    -----Parky---Robinson--
    -----------Guzan----------

Subs:
    Jones (Martinez) 60th
    Vasquez (Asad) 60th
    Wheeler-Ominiu (someone who looks tired) 80-90th

11. Coyote89

Coyote89 Member

Atlanta United
    United States
    May 18, 2017
    Wow, 5 starters out for tonight's game vs. Minny. Guzan and Martinez were called up for international duty, Almiron and Garza are out with injuries (I thought Garza was back - he played against Philly last week), and Walkes is being held out for rest. Ouch, that's a lot of our best players unavailable.

I realize AUFC has already clinched a playoff spot, but the team needs points tonight. Finishing in the top 4 is critical because it would mean a home playoff game in the single-elimination knockout round and Atlanta has played MUCH better at home than on the road all season. 11-2-2 at home so far yet just 4 wins in 16 road games.

Points will be hard to come by on the road vs. a NYRB team that is trying to clinch a playoff spot, and against Toronto because they are the best team in the league. So, getting 3 points tonight is a big deal and that just became much more difficult with 5 starters out, including 2 of our 3 DNPs.

12. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2017/11/24/contract-deadline-day-2017-stay-date-all-moves-around-mls

Anyone on your radar?

Rev’s Andrew Farrell would be high on my list. I’d also look at Teal Bunbury and London’s Woodberry.

The Galaxy has some guys I might look at in, Jose Villarreal, Jack McInerney, and Jack McBean

Red Bull’s, Zizzo, Grella, and Duka would be considered.

Orlando City, Kevin Alston, Dillon Powers, and Giles Barnes.

Timbers, Okugo...I would look to sign.

RSL, Dunk.

San Jose, Sarkodie....I would look to sign.

Vancouver, Williams... I would look to sign.

Ultimately, if we could snag one of Sarkodie, Williams, or Farrell, we will have upgraded our team.

13. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Apparently, Lichaj is considering a MLS move... he would be perfect in our system.

Gunner repped this.
  14. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
  15. Gunner

Gunner Member

Apr 19, 1999
    Marietta, Ga USA
    Positives: Plays right back which is a fit to be sure. American so he wouldn't burn an international spot as well.

Concerns: Site I checked had him about $1.75M Euros. Not seeing how we'd be able to fit him into cap around $2M usd. He's 29

Franco Escobar, who can allegedly play CB and RB was on a $500K deal and is only 22. Burns an international spot

Advantage Escobar. Would love to bring in Lichaj but I think he's a luxury we cannot afford at the moment

16. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought Escobar was meant to be a CB, even if he can play RB. We need a replacement for Parkhurst, and having a gaping hole at right back.

Auriaprottu repped this.
  17. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I had no problem with Lichaj, but I think Tata knows where the real sleepers are among his countrymen. Every Argentine he's brought on board has been not just good, but great.

I thought Walkes was still with us and can come in for Parkhurst (or take over from him; at this point Parky should be helping groom his replacement and thinking about stepping into management) while Escobar plays RB. In any case, I was impressed by Walkes' progress at going forward as the season went on.

18. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Getting a little antsy. We were supposed to hear something about Barco yesterday. As of right now, we have no same-quality replacement for Asad.

Eleven Bravo repped this.
  19. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do we think Miles Robinson, Chris Goslin, George Bello, Brandon Vasquez, and Andrew Carleton may have bigger parts for 2018?

I’m thinking it’s still too early for Goslin and Bello.

Vasquez should take Jones’ minutes.

Carleton needs to be included in the rotation or prepare to lose him.

Robinson should get an opportunity to take Parky’s starting spot.

20. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Walkes was serviceable but to me, he was always out of position. If we could get a right back, such as Lichaj, who can run that flank like Garza does, then we would be all the more dangerous.

21. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Carmona is rumored to be out. If so, that’s a huge loss and he needs to be appropriately replaced.