2017 Season Roster Thread

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by hardhead, Mar 3, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    Why would you sign a player to move your centre back ahead of him "In a pinch"

It's a waste of a signing and international spot then isn't it?

2. porchlight

porchlight Member+

Jul 27, 2013
    Crawlumbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Yep...a guy like this..why not just give him a dry run trial? Is that possible? Emil Larson 2.0?..an ok soccer player but not quite up to snuff. My hope is if he is signed he has great determination and wants to achieve and is better than his stats indicate. I would not mind eating a little crow

TRUJDUB repped this.
  3. porchlight

porchlight Member+

Jul 27, 2013
    Crawlumbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I wonder if the they cover the field on such a rainy day?

TRUJDUB repped this.
  4. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof

He's a defensive midfielder. His goals and assists stats are going to be poor.

TRUJDUB and Hamburgler03 repped this.
  5. the_rickler

the_rickler Member+

Feb 9, 2013
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Midfield Boss Tony Tchani had nearly half of those goals and assists in one season.

TRUJDUB and porchlight repped this.
  6. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From an Aberdeen fan on Reddit about Ryan Jack:

He's a bit of an all-rounder really. Not afraid to put a tackle in and works best when breaking up play in the centre of the field then moving it on to the attacking players. I remember there being a stat going around a couple of weeks ago that he had the best short passing accuracy in the league, so don't expect him to spray 30-40 yard passes over the top but rather play it safe and keep possession.

So, basically a bigger version of Trapp. Why is GB so insistent on having our CMs do nothing more than recover and pass 5 yards? I would've hoped Artur's drive, aggression, and ability to carry the ball up the field would have opened GB's eyes, but apparently not. Having one guy that can do this is ok, but multiple? Especially when we have someone like Naess in an emergency? I just don't get it. I'll defend GB's signings usually, but this would seem odd.

7. Pauncho

Pauncho Member+

Mar 2, 1999
    Bexley, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is this THE Jack Ryan, who saved the world all those times?

C'mon, somebody had to do it, I just got to it first.

redi44crew, odave and Hamburgler03 repped this.
  8. CrewV Man

CrewV Man Member+

Aug 18, 2011
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If it's Scottish, it is crap!

I would rather have the guy from Santos.

Draghignazzo repped this.
  9. Draghignazzo

Draghignazzo Member+

Feb 24, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I don't believe so; I think we have a really good drainage system instead.

porchlight repped this.
  10. CrewV Man

CrewV Man Member+

Aug 18, 2011
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You are no fun!

11. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    Bullshit.

[​IMG]

Jaybir, kgilbert78 and Minnman repped this.
  12. Draghignazzo

Draghignazzo Member+

Feb 24, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Agree in principle, but disagree in region. I'm a Highlands man.

[​IMG]

hardhead repped this.
  13. A Guy

A Guy Member

Feb 13, 2015
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Because I am of the opinion that Naess is one of our better players. Good defensively, great passer (especially with long balls when compared to every other defender and central mid the past 3 years), and has occasionally shown promise on the ball. And Mensah is paid a lot and Crognale has been good. If Artur is hurt, I prefer to put those 3 on at this point than an unknown quantity.

Also, my preference would be to dump Abu for him (since he is a free transfer and Abu has an international spot and sucks).

14. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Give me this any day:

[​IMG]

hardhead and Draghignazzo repped this.
  15. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sarcasm detector on the fritz, but you DO know that the phrase is "If it's not Scottish, it's crap", right?

Just wanted an excuse to post that, actually.

16. TRUJDUB

TRUJDUB Member+

Nov 22, 2015
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    We just have different point of emphasis. I hope Abu does great tonight but I doubt it.Ryan is certain not to replace Higuain but 11 Goals and 11 assists is more than Trapp by a bunch.

17. TRUJDUB

TRUJDUB Member+

Nov 22, 2015
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Guy from Santos is an attacking midfielder more of a chance to replace Duka. If he excelled possibly Higuain as well as he came s younger but unproven.

18. Tobias C

Tobias C Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 6, 2014
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Read a report saying Santos got offers from the Crew and Toronto for Longuine but apparently they want to keep him and he wants to stay anyway. They just had to agree on salary and apparently they have.

So it sounds like this signing might be off the table now...

19. CrewV Man

CrewV Man Member+

Aug 18, 2011
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was playing off that but really saying we need a Higuain backup/replacement more than another CM.

And by the way Talisker 30 year is the best Scotch Whiskey!

20. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. pauljf

pauljf Member

Mar 15, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Scotch whisky, Irish whiskey.

Minnman, puttputtfc and CrewV Man repped this.
  22. CrewV Man

CrewV Man Member+

Aug 18, 2011
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True true.

23. pauljf

pauljf Member

Mar 15, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    I'm cheating though as I'm Scottish! I also recently went to the Whisky tour in Edinburgh and now think I'm an expert on the stuff.

Draghignazzo and CrewV Man repped this.
  24. Dan Milton

Dan Milton Member

Nov 25, 1998
    Not quite sure what part of the English Isles my mother's folks came from but they were among the Catholics that left Maryland in the early 1800s for Nelson County Ky..They also helped make Nelson County Ky. the Bourbon Capital of the world! Everyone in The County made liquor, legal or not so legal. My Grandmother's maiden name was Williett and a distant relative is reopening that distillery under the Williett brand. I took a walk with a cousin around 1989 and within a mile he showed me where there had been six still sights. I read an article in the Newhaven Ky. Newspaper where one of the Jim Beem family had a falling out with the family and was making shine in the basement of his house in Newhaven Ky. This was about thirty years ago. I quess that is the reason it's called the Bourbon Capital!

Robbiegoal repped this.
  25. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hold on to your breeches y'all, some late breaking news...

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2017/05/04/stejskal-where-and-how-johannsson-might-wind-mls-duka-move

According to multiple sources around the league, Columbus Crew SC have been actively shopping midfielder Dilly Duka.

Crew SC have a glut of wingers on their roster, with Duka buried behind Justin Meram, Ethan Finlay, Kekuta Manneh and Niko Hansen on the depth chart. The 27-year-old signed with Columbus last June after Crew SC acquired his right of first refusal from Montreal in exchange for GAM, TAM and a second-round pick in the 2017 SuperDraft. He recorded one goal and one assist in 15 regular-season appearances and five starts last season, but has yet to take the field this year while dealing with a calf injury.

Duka has had success in MLS in the past, most notably recording three goals and two assists in 30 appearances and 21 starts in regular-season and playoff action for Montreal in 2015. He could be an asset for a team looking for some help on the wing, but he has a relatively high salary – the MLS Players’ Union reported it at $175,000 last month – for a player who has only played 604 minutes since the start of last season. Columbus might have to eat some of his budget charge if they want to get a deal done.

Teams will be temporarily be barred from making trades involving players when the primary transfer window closes on Monday. They’ll be able to resume trading players when the secondary window opens up in July.

CrewV Man, chr1st and TRUJDUB repped this.