News: 2017 Season Catch-All Thread

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by JasonMa, Mar 2, 2017.

1. PhunkJunkee

PhunkJunkee New Member

Rapids
    United States
    Mar 23, 2017
    #76 PhunkJunkee, Mar 23, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2017

Pablo might not name names, but I will. Gashi had an awful game against Minnesota and frankly, I feel he is the most overrated player on the Rapids. His free kicks are spectacular. Yes. I agree. His shots when he has no one covering him are generally quite good.

But... He cannot create space. He doesn't create space for himself, or for his teammates.

In the field of play he is a liability. He gives up on plays. He has zero hustle. As soon as he is beat you can read it all over his body and he quits. He was solely responsible for a should have been goal against at roughly 6 mins with Minneapolis. Re-watch that "defense". Other than free kicks in that game, he was absolutely invisible. And this is a pattern that goes back to the last half of last season.

I'd love if Gashi would stop believing his own hype and still had any hunger for the game. Albania noticed. Some Rapids fans are noticing. Objectively watch, and you will notice as well.

Give me Serna over Gashi in the starting 11.

rapidogordo and IndyRapids04 repped this.
  2. zapem_10

zapem_10 Member

Nov 25, 2009
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think he looks bad for a couple of reasons. He isn't 100% healthy. He was out for the first game and then got subbed fairly early. Another reason is that he isn't a good winger in Pablo's ultra team defense scheme. If anything he should play as the #10 and be a playmaker/second striker. It would suit his skill set much better. He had some nice games last season playing in the middle. He'd do a much better job than Doyle. If Pablo would do that you could have Serna and Hairston flying up the wings and Badji/Doyle sharing the striker spot.

jayd8888, Sports Yak, COMtnGuy and 2 others repped this.
  3. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    Article on the Rapids' site:
    "Ageless Tim Howard ready to take over in net for key World Cup qualifiers"

Does it make sense to call him "ageless" when he just came off an injury that required surgery and had him out for 4 months?

(I realize the author of an article doesn't always, or even usually, come up with title. But the article even starts off talking about the injury...)

rapidogordo and COMtnGuy repped this.
  4. PhunkJunkee

PhunkJunkee New Member

Rapids
    United States
    Mar 23, 2017

I get that. Maybe we should put him in the 10 because... well... who else?

But it doesn't take a good winger in any scheme, offensive or defensive, to do better than to literally watch a player walk by to get into great crossing position. Watch that sequence in the 6th minute against Minnesota. 6th Minute!!! Sixth. Whether it be fatigue or not being 100% doesn't count in the 6th minute. Laziness does.

He has become a sloppy, undisciplined, and lazy player.

5. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    Highlight:
    Bruce Arena, Tim Howard, et al "Making America Good Again".

6. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

COMtnGuy, zapem_10, m vann and 1 other person repped this.
  7. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    Oh Rapids Offense, if only you could improve a bit so we could call you anemic.

Sports Yak, COMtnGuy, Totoro and 4 others repped this.
  8. fortcollins

fortcollins Member+

St. Louis City SC
    Apr 12, 2006
    Fort Collins
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A few additional thoughts on the 2017 Rapids, in light of New England v. Minnesota earlier today:

Show Spoiler
    Minnesota's defense has conceded three penalties out of their 18 goals allowed. That's 15 goals allowed from the run of play in four matches. Break that down further: unassisted goals 3, single-assisted goals 9, hockey-assist goals 3. Taking away the unassisted goals, which can include some spectacular shots, Minnesota's defense can't read the build. That's obvious from the number of goals allowed, but Portland and Atlanta seemed to be passing wildly in the box on Minnesota, and even New England snagged two hockey-assist goals. In contrast, Burch-to-Hairston was the only successful pass Colorado seems to have completed in the box.

Mission control, Colorado has a problem. A very big problem.

COMtnGuy, kucsdat, IndyRapids04 and 2 others repped this.
  9. Centennial

Centennial Member+

Apr 4, 2003
    Centennial
    Does this surprise anyone????

Bottom line... Colorado is a defensive team...a very defensive team...
    They are trying to be more offensive and on doing so caused Their defense to choke. They are a long way from where they need to be. Time will tell.

10. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Look, I love my Rapids. Love them. I know for a fact I could never ever, ever lend any helping hand to their attack. I would be an embarrassment. However........MN United's defense.......I know for a fact I could lend them a helping hand. I am confident. Forget the fact I played my last college game 12 or 13 years ago and just turned 35. Forget the fact, I am a 5'10" undersized CB. Guarantee I can do better than Kallman and Demidov. Awful is an understatement. But it does beckon.....Who's worse our attack or their defense. That's the million-dollar question :D ;)

jayd8888, COMtnGuy, kucsdat and 2 others repped this.
  11. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In their other 3 games Minnesota has allowed 5 times as many goals (16) as we had shots on target against them (3).

COMtnGuy and fortcollins repped this.
  12. Paranoid Coyote

Paranoid Coyote Member+

Oct 21, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think everyone may be missing the biggest point here:

Minnesota United is the new Chivas USA (at least for this year) and they're in our conference. We're all but guaranteed not to place last like in 2015.

So there's that...

COMtnGuy and kucsdat repped this.
  13. Waterboy66

Waterboy66 Member

Jan 16, 2016
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    How exactly did they try to be an offensive team? I didn't see that. I saw the same miserable crap offense that I saw before. Maybe he told the outside defenders to get forward more and tried to call that an improved offense. Hell, I could have done that for a lot cheaper than it cost to keep Pablo around, whatever the price was.

14. Centennial

Centennial Member+

Apr 4, 2003
    Centennial
    They did double their goal total from the previous two games combined.

And they also didn't grab defeat from the jaws of victory.

The defense was unorganized for long periods of time.

The timing on offense was off but they still were able to put two in grabbing a tie from the jaws of defeat.

I know it was Minnesota and for some odd reason people seem to think that since Minnesota has been poor on defense we should have walked all over then but that isn't realistic for any team, just look at world cup qualifying. By that logic Honduras should have beat us Friday night.

15. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Except for the other three MLS teams they've played...

16. Rod1916

Rod1916 Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I disagree with this last part. MN is just not a good team right now. If we are one of the "better" teams, then we absolutely should have beaten them (at home) without much trouble. This game was a lot of trouble and frankly we could have just as easily lost.

So, I submit we should have been able to win by at least 1-2 goals. Preferably multiple goals, but a win would be the minimal requirements. I am willing to concede that ringing up 5 goals (like everyone else has) may not be the right marker, but certainly beating them is.

rod.

17. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    It does look bad when their 3 other games are lost by 3, 4, and 5 goals, and then they tie the Rapids.

I guess we'll see how bad they are: after the break they host struggling RSL.

jayd8888, IndyRapids04 and COMtnGuy repped this.
  18. Sports Yak

Sports Yak Member+

Jul 17, 2007
    Lakewood
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Not to pile on, but I also note that the Rapids only scored two goals on a MN team that was playing with 10 men most of the second half. The inability of the Rapids to put multiple forward passes together is glaring. Really, this offense is so far away from being respectable that I wouldn't even know where to start.

jayd8888, fortcollins, Rod1916 and 2 others repped this.
  19. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    Or when they travel to KFC on the 9h.

It seems that Pablo's philosophy essentially is a "low risk low reward." Thus it depends not giving up any goals in a particular match while eking out a late goal for the three points. If they Rapids conceded a goal before they've scored they are in massive trouble.

With the lack of attacking signings this winter it appears that the RFO is approving of Pablo's philosophy. I wonder what will happen if August comes and the Rapids are not in a playoff position? Will the RFO plead guilty?

Last season's unexpected success come back to bit them in the behind? "Hey it worked for us in '16 so it will work for us now." The margin of error is so low for Pablo ball that they could end up with quite a few less points that in '16.

IndyRapids04 and JasonMa repped this.
  20. 22SteveD

22SteveD Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2011
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To pile on, the Revs hadn't score this season until MN came to town. Wow, that coach (Heath?) is not MLS level what so ever in 2 stops. PM got lucky 1 of 3.

21. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am going to disagree that 1 signing will do it, the attack will not improve unless they some how sign a to 1v1 attacker away from EPL/ China side or get rid of PM (Which we all know will not happen) along with several attacking player acquisitions.

22SteveD, Dom. FC and JasonMa repped this.
  23. Rod1916

Rod1916 Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I am finding it crazy how much my interest has lagged recently. The lack of offense (and articles/postings) have become so obvious that I don't even read them anymore (sorry, Jason. Although I did read yours out of respect for row 6.) There hasn't been much analysis otherwise, which really leads the mind to start focusing on other things.

The saddest part is there really is no point analyzing anything else since the complete and utter lack of offense over-shadows any other analysis. Everything else just doesn't matter when we can't even get a view of the goal (let alone a shot, shot on goal, or God-forbid an actual goal).

Hoping this passes soon so we can get back to whining about multiple things.....

rod.

jayd8888, fortcollins, kucsdat and 2 others repped this.
  24. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're not alone. With the extra week break this week (and my trip) I feel like the season hasn't really started yet.

22SteveD, fortcollins, Rod1916 and 3 others repped this.
  25. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    When he gets open, we need Tim Howard to shoot more, I'm half serious because when we play it on the ground out of the back we seldom get past midfield and when we hoof it over the top we either lose the 50/50 ball or else don't even have anyone running on to it. Defense first may have its place but defense only is not a set up you hear a lot about. (Just adding my 1/50 of a dollar to the International break malaise ...)

jayd8888 and COMtnGuy repped this.