News: 2017 Season Catch-All Thread

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by JasonMa, Mar 2, 2017.

1. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like Sjoberg got his green card, which explains how we were able to bring Castillo back from loan.

Our current internationals are Badji, Boateng, Castillo, Doyle, Gashi, and Saied (with Ramirez out on loan and not counting against our cap of 6)

fortcollins, zapem_10, jayd8888 and 3 others repped this.
  2. SccrDon

SccrDon Member+

Dec 4, 2001
    Colorado Springs
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Apparently not. I have the same question/concern with Saeid out

3. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From today's Mile High sports daily email. Sound familiar to anyone?

COMtnGuy, fortcollins, kucsdat and 2 others repped this.
  4. jayd8888

jayd8888 Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Denver CO
    It says right here on the syllabus.

**No partial credit for incomplete work.

fortcollins, Rod1916 and m vann repped this.
  5. zapem_10

zapem_10 Member

Nov 25, 2009
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There was a video today on Facebook showing the rapids playing some 5v2 keep away and Nana was there playing with the group. Not sure if that means he's almost ready to return.

6. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    Is that drill meant for the 2 players to simulate the Rapids' attack?

Har har har...

COMtnGuy, zapem_10, Dom. FC and 2 others repped this.
  7. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    An interesting look back at controversies around the USOC, including this one about the '96 Rapids:
    http://thecup.us/2013/10/01/biggest...world-cup-tickets-buying-home-field-and-more/

Totoro, Dom. FC and jayd8888 repped this.
  8. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    Did you post that wearing a trucker hat that says "World Champion"? ;>)

jayd8888 repped this.
  9. zapem_10

zapem_10 Member

Nov 25, 2009
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Season ticket rep called me today to say that the auto renew happens later this month and that if I want to keep tickets there isn't anything I have to do. He also said that you have about 3 weeks to opt out. My reply "ok so that gives me enough time to decide until after the transfer window."

The response was "we've been hearing some tantalizing names being discussed. If any of them pan out it will be really exciting."

As exciting as our attractive, attacking, winning soccer I am sure.

jayd8888, fortcollins, JasonMa and 2 others repped this.
  10. Rod1916

Rod1916 Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    If any of them pan out, then I will be really excited.....

COMtnGuy repped this.
  11. wormhole

wormhole Member

Mar 25, 2009
    Westminster, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If just one pans out the first week of the Summer window, I'll be excited. Any signings in the window and I'll acknowledge some people did their jobs. If nothing happens until August, the Rapids will have one less season ticket holder.

Rod1916 repped this.
  12. Paranoid Coyote

Paranoid Coyote Member+

Oct 21, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Based on the history of signing tantalizing names past their prime combined with general RFO malpractice, it's Pele, isn't it? They're going to sign Pele.

Sports Yak, fortcollins, SccrDon and 2 others repped this.
  13. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We will later find out it is actual Pele's father ;)

m vann and fortcollins repped this.
  14. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    First of all, thanks for reminding me of this. The flash drive I picked up back in March doesn't work so I haven't been able to check on the new system for this season in terms of having to "opt out." Needless to say, I don't like the system as it has the potential to catch me unaware, especially in the middle of the summer. I would guess others are in the same place.

Of course this is good timing for the Rapids as it's early enough that many will still give them benefit of the doubt (as it's only July) and others will forget.

We already know that the party line for this season will include injuries, "fixture congestion" and perhaps suspensions.

As for this ten year season ticket holder there needs to be not only signings that are going to make an impact, but a clear statement of direction/plan by the RFO that gives a sense of what will happen in the winter to continue to improve the talent.

Last season they brought in Gashi, JJ and Howard. This off-season they failed to followup and we are season the results, or lack there of.

Yes, I realize that any signings made in July may not really make a difference until late this season or early next. For me that may well be months too late to have me re-up.

Edit - Almost forgot, what do those of us that aren't going to renew our season tickets need to do to "opt-out?"

15. zapem_10

zapem_10 Member

Nov 25, 2009
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you just contact your ticket rep or their main sales office and tell them you aren't renewing before the 3 week period expires. I think the clock starts mid to late July.

16. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sure they will have a 30 sec window during middle of the day that you must be physchical present at DSG with at least 7 forms of Photo ID to enter a lotto to be one of 2 that will be allowed out of their STH LIFETIME contract.

So glad I dropped them a few years ago but miss my trips down to Denver to get some City time.

17. SccrDon

SccrDon Member+

Dec 4, 2001
    Colorado Springs
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When I first saw "season" I thought maybe I should "FYP". But when I thought about it, "season" is right.

18. SccrDon

SccrDon Member+

Dec 4, 2001
    Colorado Springs
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This should not be news. This should be what the FO is doing every week of the year - identifying available, affordable players to bring in, adding to the players we already have and can develop.

We'll see.

22SteveD, Rod1916, JasonMa and 1 other person repped this.
  19. fortcollins

fortcollins Member+

St. Louis City SC
    Apr 12, 2006
    Fort Collins
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Confirm it in writing and make the RFO admit that they received it. From experience, don't trust anything involving KSE unless it is in writing.

22SteveD repped this.
  20. 22SteveD

22SteveD Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2011
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #420 22SteveD, Jul 1, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2017
    Just spoke with someone connected to MLS HQ and said MLS has recommended the Rapids to found a USL side playing at DSG and open a New "Urban" Rapids stadium. Said MLS has done studies on Denver that show it could easily be a top 10 attendance team (Top 5 even) with an urban stadium.

Said something like it is the strongest soccer market per studies that MLS team is not connecting with.

21. Rod1916

Rod1916 Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Makes a lot is sense, but I doubt current ownership cares.

22. JackSwaninCO

JackSwaninCO Member

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Swansea City AFC
    I'm sorry, but not buying that. A) where would such urban stadium be built? Only land I can see is the Pepsi Center parking lot, which is used for temp. events (CdS) and would cause conflicts with the start/end of basketball and hockey seasons, not to mention Sunday issues with the Broncos. B) who would pay for such a thing? Not Denver, and no way in hell KSE would do that.

Rapids don't need a new stadium. They need a front office who can figure out that the way to fill seats is with a team that generates excitement via play and winning. Not to mention is there really a need for yet another freaking USL team, let alone 2 in Colorado?

Doesn't make sense at any level.

Totoro, wormhole and JasonMa repped this.
  23. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    The 'you can't make this sh!t up' statement of Denver not being connected with an MLS team is pretty accurate..

24. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    It's the easy way out. Sure, if the city threw hundreds of millions at a private business for 17 home games a year, that would be great.

People showed up last year for a team that made bold moves and won. They weren't even winning pretty.

The Rockies, Avs and Nuggets repeatly show what can happen to interest and attendance when teams with urban stadia go through years of mediocrity. Heck, even the Broncos. Thousands of no shows towards the end of the McDaniels era.

JasonMa repped this.
  25. JackSwaninCO

JackSwaninCO Member

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Swansea City AFC
    Yep. I don't expect the Rapids to put together a winning team. MLS parity (and 2010) has shown even the best teams aren't a guaranteed thing. What I do expect is the Rapids to put together a team that can compete. That should be enough to give us near capacity crowds.

What we saw last night was a great example, and it's a shame that even a fireworks show couldn't draw people in to see it. Unfortunately this teams one consistency this year has been being inconsistent, so who knows when we see that effort again, and that isn't what sells seats.

I already told my ST rep to expect my cancellation towards the end of the window. Three things that can prevent that: Pablo shows he's figured out how to use the players he's got to be effective, the team surprises everyone and signs a player who can immediately make a contribution, and/or we get a president who comes in with a plan and determination to right the ship. At this point I don't expect any moves on the latter until the end of the season, and the noise indirectly coming out of the FO about signings suggests the same old Rapids transfer action. Which leaves Pablo and the team to sell me on next year.

JasonMa repped this.