2017 RSL Stats

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by 15 to 32, May 2, 2017.

1. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since I was referred to whoscored (thanks again) I've become enamored with the wealth of statistical information available. I'll always be one to tell you that stats only tell a percentage of the story, but it's one that I think many (including myself) undervalue at the price of the eyeball test. Telling a story without bias, as stats can do, gives a clear picture of what this team is and isn't doing well. So, this thread is a journey through the plethora of statistical information out there and deriving what we can from it.

To start, here are some interesting team shooting statistics through 9 games in the 2017 season:
    • STAT (SUM/AVERAGE)
    • Shots (112/12.44)
    • Shots on Target (30/3.33)
    • Shots off Target (46/5.11)
    • Shots Blocked (36/4)
    • Shots that hit Woodwork (2/0.22)
    • Shots inside the 6 (8/0.88)
    • Shots inside the box (51/5.66)
    • Shots outside the box (53/5.88)
    • Open Play Shot (85/9.44)
    • Fast-break Shot (0/0)
    • Set Piece Shot (26/2.88)
    • Right Footed Shot (81/9)
    • Left Footed Shot (22/2.44)
    • Headed Shot (9/1)

2. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some "at first glance" observations:
    Almost half our shots are from long range and most of those can be classified as desparation shots.

We are terrible in the air in the opposition's box.of course, lack of service is a big factor here.

With our feet we can't hit the broadside of a barn.

We don't have the speed up top to penalize errors or to transition.

Those stats don't say it, but most of those blocked shots are due to our shooters shooting the ball right into the defender marking them. They can't create separation or space.

3. Ivensor

Ivensor Member

Nov 10, 2011
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    To add more color to this point, this is where RSL ranks compared to the rest of MLS in terms of % of shots taken in each area:

Inside the 6: 12th (out of 22)
    Inside the box: 20th
    Outside the box: 3rd

So, we take a lot of shots from outside the box, and very few from within the 18.

Even more damning is this: RSL takes on average 12.4 shots per game, ranking a respectable 9th out of 22. But, we average only 3.3 shots on target per game, ranking 21st out of 22. The only team with fewer SOG per game? The cRapids.

Allez RSL, The Franchise, RSLer and 3 others repped this.
  4. Kratisto

Kratisto Member

Oct 19, 2014
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Second place where it counts, once again!

rslfanboy, DrownedElf, Ivensor and 2 others repped this.
  5. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    we can't even suck past second worst

6. UPinSLC

UPinSLC Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    SL,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not one single fast break shot, that is utterly mind blowing from a team that is supposedly playing a formation to clog the midfield and spring fast breaks. We're 9th in the league in shots per game, second to last in the league in SOG and dead last by a few percentage points in percent of shots that are on goal. The cRapids are doing their best to not actually play offense while RSL are setting a new standard for how to not play offense.

rslfanboy, RSLer, 15 to 32 and 1 other person repped this.
  7. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Passing stats:
    • Touches (5377/597.44)
    • Possession (450.7%/50.1%)
    • Passes (3556/597.44)
    • Accurate Pass (2557/284.11)
    • Pass % (633%/70%)
    • Cross Pass (198/22)
    • Freekick Pass (110/12.22)
    • Corner Kick (58/6.44)
    • Through Ball Pass (9/1)
    • Throw in Pass (265/29.44)
    • Key Pass (75/8.33)
    • Long Pass (690/76.66)
    • Short Pass (3359/373.22)
    • Chipped Pass (588/65.33)
    • Ground Pass (3461/384.55)
    • Headed Pass (311/34.55)
    • Pass w Feet (3738/415.33)
    • Forward Pass (2813/312.55)
    • Backward Pass (1225/136.11)
    • Left Pass (2027/225.22)
    • Right Pass (2023/224.77)
    • Defensive 3rd (615/68.33)
    • Middle 3rd (1823/202.55)
    • Final 3rd (1611/179)

rslfanboy repped this.
  8. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    this REALLY jumped out at me. This is exhibit A on not playing to Yura's style. When he was with us before we hit him through on fast breaks at least once or twice a game, if not more. He was awful at consistently scoring them, but amazing at getting himself into those spots.

goobx1 repped this.
  9. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was a younger, faster Yura. Didn't we also have Findlay at the time to occupy defenders because of his speed? Nicky, KB5, Javi and our right back were better through passers than what we have right now.

15 to 32 and Ismitje repped this.
  10. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, the diamond with Yura and Findlay up front worked out really good. I'm not sold on this 4-4-3 or whatever we are currrently playing.

11. The Franchise

The Franchise Member+

Nov 13, 2014
    Bakersfield, CA
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We have an extra guy and still suck!

12. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    I think Morales used to average something like 10 key passes/game for us alone. Now we are at 8.33/game as a team.

We obviously haven't filled his shoes adequately. The data backs it up.

RSLer and 15 to 32 repped this.
  13. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We don't have the right players for a diamond, so there's no point in pining for the old setup. Who pairs with Yura? Plata? Ok, then you get to look forward to playing Lennon out of place in the midfield. Same thing if you swap those two. Saucedo? Also a winger. Allen? Winger. As far as the midfield goes, the only players that would likely work in the diamond is KB, Mulholland, Sunny, and Rusnak. You'd be dumping better players to the bench in order to facilitate the ones that would work better in a diamond midfield, and now you've got no quality subs that fit into those roles naturally, and no backup if anyone gets injured. If we were to go to a 4-4-2 diamond, we'd have to get ride of at least two wingers and hope to replace them with better midfielders, and you'd need to upgrade both outside backs into ones that can attack better.

So, we'd need to replace half the squad, on top of our other needs like quality CB's, in order to play a formation that had already been found out by the time we got rid of it. 4-3-3 variants are the current top formations, and I'd rather we work out the kinks in our current setup, instead of trying to revert back to old RSL ideals. We've already been doing too much of that by going back to past players like Olave, Wingert, Yura, etc, we don't need to revert back to old tactics as well.

14. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Isn't Yura only 29 years old? How does one lose all that speed while also in their supposed prime years still?

15. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    its almost like our GM doesn't know how to build a consistent roster. Cassar was a bad coach. Waibel might be worse GM

DrownedElf, The Franchise and rslfanboy repped this.
  16. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whether we play a 4-4-2 diamond or some other flavor of 4-4-2, I think it would be better than what we are currently playing. It has been mentioned many times that Yura isn't a target forward, so why keep playing him as such? He needs something up front with him to take advantage of whatever skills he has.

17. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wanna see something funny about that?

Yura Movsisyan Characteristics
    + Strengths
    (Player has no significant strengths)
    - Weaknesses
    Aerial Duels
    Weak
    Holding on to the ball
    Weak
    Passing
    Weak

Allez RSL, DrownedElf, Todorojo and 3 others repped this.
  18. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To be fair, they add this caveat:

* Strengths, weaknesses and styles are calculated from the current season statistics

Allez RSL, RSLer and 15 to 32 repped this.
  19. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    exactly
    this shows that we are playing a system that doesn't compliment him AT ALL. And also, there is a level of him not adjusting to it. Something I would expect of his salary.

The Franchise and goobx1 repped this.
  20. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds like he has the same strengths and weaknesses as I do. When will Dear Leader start paying me the same money as Yura?

DrownedElf, Todorojo and 15 to 32 repped this.
  21. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whats crazy to me is that he has four goals and still you can't derive a "strength" from any of his statistics. He's scored in nearly half the games (a really good rate in MLS) but his stats suck? Thats... I really don't know what to make of that

22. Todorojo

Todorojo Member

Oct 27, 2008
    South Weber, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    A PK helps that a little. He got a glancing header that was as much luck to get on target as skill. He flubbed an easy back post header in a recent game inside the 6.

23. Allez RSL

Allez RSL Member+

Jun 20, 2007
    Home
    That "1 through ball per game" seemed pretty awful to me, but is apparently slightly above average for the league, with only Atlanta having more than 1/game (at 2/game). 6 teams average 0/game.

RSL is below average on key passes with 8.3/game. The average and median are 8.78 and 8.85, respectively.

One thing that's interesting is RSL's ranking in time spent in the opposition's 3rd of the field: tied for first place with NYRB.

Ivensor repped this.
  24. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One of Plata's strengths according to the same website: heading the ball. :D

EDIT: Finishing, too, though he has 0 goals. Hmmm . . .

DrownedElf, Todorojo and 15 to 32 repped this.
  25. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    His strength you reference is Headed Attempts. One of his weaknesses is aerial duels. Which is incredibly ironic. I'm going to start doing a deeper player by player dive into this with the stats I've referenced for the team. Given this is all data driven, that would suggest Joao has been in placed in positions to head the ball more frequently than Yura. Good soccer