News: 2017 Roster Thread

Discussion in 'Seattle Sounders FC' started by Mateofelipe, Dec 6, 2016.

1. Mateofelipe

Mateofelipe Member+

Mar 10, 2001
    Spokane, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does anybody know why we are giving up promising holding mid prospect? Is it because we just love sucking when Ozzie is out and he's getting younger by the minute? Maybe the kid likes his chances of cracking the big club better in O town.

2. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Atlanta made him an offer he couldn't refuse? The Sounders have other plans for their open DP slot (assuming Valdez is leaving this offseason *crossfingers*) The Sounders are doing a solid for a new expansion club in exchange for Atlanta not taking one of our players in the expansion draft? Cristian Roldan has done a perfectly fine job of filling in for Ozzie when he's not in and our actual problem isn't finding a replacement for Ozzie, but rather for the guy standing next to Roldan? The Sounders think a healthy Brad Evans is a fine backup for Ozzie? Etc.

3. Mateofelipe

Mateofelipe Member+

Mar 10, 2001
    Spokane, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's going to Orlando.

4. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    D'oh.. Sorry.. I missed the link and thought you were talking about Miguel Almiron (who, even worse for me is an attacking mid). :)

but, yes.. S2 is a mess. I saw an article/comment from Sounder@Heart that there were more Sounders academy players on other USL teams than there were on S2 last season and those guys were doing well, while S2 was not.. Everything about S2 is insane, IMHO..

5. Mateofelipe

Mateofelipe Member+

Mar 10, 2001
    Spokane, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, I was sorry Almiron got away, too, but there is a difference between a "discovery" claim on a guy who is good enough to go where he wants and wipes his ass with your discovery claim, and a promising homegrown thinking purple pastures are rave greener. You must be right about S2. Fuera EZ? Brian might have somebody else in mind for that coaching spot.

6. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The problems with S2 gonfar deeper than Ezra... Ezra isn't the one that put them at Starfire and guaranteed few weekend games. Ezra didn't hype the community ownership, then pull the plug after collecting something like a hundred thousand dollars from fans and hide that fact for over 6 months. Ezra didn't put those stupid ass seats on Starfire's bleachers. Etc. Etc.

The problems with S2 are higher than Ezra and likely won't be resolve until the Rainiers take over the team..

terrier repped this.
  7. terrier

terrier Member

May 31, 2011
    Netherlands
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
  8. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Massive changes as far as options being picked up and what not.. Obviously the guys that haven't had their options exercised aren't technically free agents as the Sounders can negotiate new contracts with them, but:

http://www.soundersfc.com/post/2016/12/12/sounders-fc-exercises-options-eight-players

Already on Contract

GK Stefan Frei
    DF Chad Marshall
    MF Osvaldo Alonso
    MF Nicolás Lodeiro
    MF Alvaro Fernandez
    MF Cristian Roldan
    FW Clint Dempsey
    FW Jordan Morris

Options Exercised
    GK Tyler Miller
    DF Tony Alfaro
    DF Oniel Fisher
    DF Joevin Jones
    DF Román Torres
    MF Brad Evans
    MF Aaron Kovar
    FW Victor Mansaray

Options Not Exercised
    GK Charlie Lyon
    DF Oalex Anderson
    DF Damion Lowe
    DF Tyrone Mears
    DF Jimmy Ockford
    DF Dylan Remick
    MF Michael Farfan
    MF Erik Friberg
    MF Andreas Ivanschitz
    MF Nathan Sturgis
    FW Darwin Jones
    FW Herculez Gomez
    FW Nelson Valdez

terrier repped this.
  9. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounders current roster:

GOALKEEPERS (2):
    Stefan Frei, Tyler Miller
    DEFENDERS (5): Tony Alfaro, Oniel Fisher, Joevin Jones, Chad Marshall, Román Torres
    MIDFIELDERS (6): Osvaldo Alonso, Brad Evans, Alvaro Fernandez, Aaron Kovar, Nicolás Lodeiro, Cristian Roldan
    FORWARDS (3): Clint Dempsey, Jordan Morris, Victor Mansaray

terrier repped this.
  10. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Expansion draft list is in:

Protected
    Alfaro, Tony
    Alonso, Osvaldo
    Dempsey, Clint
    Evans, Brad
    Frei, Stefan
    Jones, Joevin
    Lodeiro, Nicolas
    Marshall, Chad
    Miller, Tyler
    Roldan, Cristian
    Torres, Roman
    Jones, Darwin (HG)
    Kovar, Aaron (HG)
    Mansaray, Victor (HG)
    Morris, Jordan (HG)
    Scott, Zacharias (retired)

Unprotected
    Farfan, Michael
    Anderson, Oalex
    Fernandez, Alvaro
    Fisher, Oneil
    Friberg, Erik
    Gomez, Herculez
    Ivanschitz, Andreas
    Lowe, Damion
    Lyon, Charlie
    Mears, Tyrone
    Ockford, Jimmy
    Remick, Dylan
    Sturgis, Nathan
    Valdez, Nelson

11. terrier

terrier Member

May 31, 2011
    Netherlands
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Dempsey's now making noise about being ready for USMNT camp next month, so those of us who were hoping for his quiet retirement are apparently SOL. I can only shake my head and pray we can figure out some way to unload this deuce before he stinks up another season on our roster.

What a knob.

12. Mateofelipe

Mateofelipe Member+

Mar 10, 2001
    Spokane, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He is a dick, but I like the way he was gelling with Morris and Lodeiro before he had to step aside.

13. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can you explain this dislike of Dempsey? I agree with Mateo that he's a jerk, but he's our jerk and aside from the 6 game ban (and the entire team melted down in that one) him being a jerk hasn't really hurt us. Also like Mateo, I thought he showed very well once Lodeiro was added to the line-up and I was looking forward to seeing him playing with Lodeiro..

14. gstommylee

gstommylee Member+

Oct 3, 2008
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    He is either going to retire to play another year for seattle. He isn't going to play for another team.

15. gstommylee

gstommylee Member+

Oct 3, 2008
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders

Gomez crowd surfing for 45 seconds.

16. Mateofelipe

Mateofelipe Member+

Mar 10, 2001
    Spokane, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Darwin Jones' option was not exercised, but he was on the protected list. Does that mean they are still trying to work out something?

17. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jones was automatically protected because he was on a homegrown contract. My guess is that he's either headed for S2, or done entirely with the Sounders.

18. gstommylee

gstommylee Member+

Oct 3, 2008
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Jones is on the waiver draft. So he's either isn't taken or joins another MLS team.

19. terrier

terrier Member

May 31, 2011
    Netherlands
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Leaving his jerk nature aside, I agree when he's good, he's good. The problem is he's not consistently even present.

How many good minutes did that DP money buy Seattle in the last 2 seasons? How many good minutes will it buy next year? In 2015 he missed 8 matches in 2015 for injury in addition to that 3-game MLS suspension. In 2016, he missed 16 matches for injury plus another stupid red card suspension for whacking Juan Ortiz in the face in July (don't get me wrong, Ortiz made a meal of that and was appropriately yellow-carded, but this was entirely avoidable)

I want a replacement that's going to actually show up most weeks, who's actually disciplined enough to stay on the field.

20. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    *shrug* Any international is going to miss a significant number of games per season. But even in his injury free year (2014), Dempsey wasn't that much more productive than he was in 2015. He got 5 less goals (10) and the same number of assists(10) in 2015 that he got in 2014.. 2016 he was certainly off on assists (2), but he was only off by 2 goals compared to 2015. *shrug* Any time you sign an older player the injuries are going to start piling up. Dempsey's injury this season was certainly an outlier and should raise concern, but if he's back next year, I'm not sure we see him missing 17 games next season like he did this year.. He should also be more effective in front of the goal with Lodeiro than he was this year.

Given his history, both with the club and previously, I think we can get away with letting him stay for the final year of his contract and seeing how he pans out. We'll obviously need an effective backup for him, but now that Lagerway is free to hit up Central America, I would think we could get one at a reasonable price?

21. gstommylee

gstommylee Member+

Oct 3, 2008
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    The only reason Dempsey is not on the roster next year is that he is forced to retire and we buy out his contract.

22. Captain_Ski

Captain_Ski Member

Apr 1, 2012
    Bellingham
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    HOLY SHIPP. I like this move. Well played.

23. Captain_Ski

Captain_Ski Member

Apr 1, 2012
    Bellingham
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders