2017 Roster moves

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by newtex, Nov 28, 2016.

1. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    Did you read what I said? Get a third one. In terms of who to start, I could rattle off stuff I see when Willis plays that is still "Willis" to me, but we have two main guys and Deric hasn't played like the Deric I liked.

The Deric I liked was basically a perfectly timed sweeper keeper who beat opposing forwards to balls and also stopped shots from his line better than Willis and dominated his area aerially. Whatever "this" is it's tentative, has been beat to sweeper balls, and less dominant of his box.

Part of what I liked was the low GAA and he's at 1.8 now.

I react to facts as much as y'all and try not to be stubborn. I see what I see but well this season I don't see what used to favor one over the other. And if that's less the case then we have to do something for now, and Willis is a better distributor, and maybe in some future window we resolve this with trades and signings.

I also still think we can do better than Torres and his two big whiffs last night underline that one too, but for right now he's the leading goal scorer and our kick taker and should be in the rotation and/or starting so we have the deadball capability. So for this season roll with that one too and maybe see in the future windows if we can get a middie who can take those free kicks and a striker with better finishing.

2. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    These are the 22 players the Dynamo have used in the first 14 games this year:

Alex - 14 starts (14 appearances)
    Machado - 14 (14)
    Torres - 11 (13)
    Elis - 11 (12)
    DeLaGarza - 11 (11)
    Leonardo - 11 (11)
    Clark - 10 (12)
    Beasley - 10 (11)
    Manotas - 9 (13)
    Cabezas - 9 (10)
    Alexander - 8 (8)
    Willis - 7 (7)
    Deric - 7 (7)
    Quioto - 6 (10)
    B. Garcia - 5 (10)
    Remick - 5 (5)
    Anibaba - 3 (4)
    Wenger - 2 (10)
    K. Garcia - 1 (2)
    Sanchez - 0 (8)
    Rodriguez - 0 (3)
    Holland - 0 (1)

17 of the 22 players have appeared in at least half the games.

3. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
  4. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    Ack. Dude makes $143k, takes a foreign player slot, never plays (last saw the field 8/16), and is probably not guaranteed. We would rather play Garcia, Anibaba, etc. before him. That is the easiest personnel decision in the world. He was a second division Spanish player and an earlier and similarly unsuccessful foray down that street lasted, what, weeks? He played ok a couple of games. We deserve better than ok if we have aspirations. I identified this as an easy dump decision last season. I took it as a sign of fecklessness he lasted this long. Even if you liked him he wasn't playing. You don't burn money and spots on people who don't play.

Since it's not described as a mutual decision I assume he didn't sign off, but it frees him up to sign where he wants, including back home, and it may be a hint we may go sign (or at least shop for) a playmaking midfielder after all.

5. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    With that shoe having dropped, the other ones I would consider canning would be:
    Cabezas, loan, expensive contract, mediocre;
    Clark, expensive deal, old;
    Deric, if we don't intend to commit to him;
    Wenger, expensive deal, mediocre.

I'm also no Alexander fan but that would have to wait.

I actually think Boniek is on the downside but I don't see us cutting Hondurans before their team makes or misses Russia and plays there if they make it. If Honduras happened to get eliminated this fall/winter I would be curious if we would be as concerned with keeping the band together.

I also think we should take a long look at the people making reserve money and whether they have any more of a future here than someone we can give a runout from RGV. Escalante, Hunter, IMO Memo, should we really be carrying RGV players? Our decision making process needs to speed up.

To me the midfield is routinely outplayed and we need to take a long look at everyone playing it.

6. Soccergodlss

Soccergodlss Member+

Jun 21, 2004
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Kaiserslautern
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Our midfield needs to improve some not doubt. I'd like some players with some more game awareness and the ability to close games out and dictate tempo to a match. Right now with have ball winners and some decent long ball capability, but we don't have enough in the field to dictate flow. Rico, I love you, but your time as a starter is at an end... I agree with you that Holland could probably play there based on our current squad.

7. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLSNHTOWN repped this.
  8. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Got $175k in various allocation money, not bad, not great although the Dynamo value the Garber Bucks to avoid having to spend any real cash on players if possible.

The notion that "the Dynamo just didn't see anyone they liked" on the allocation list is laughable. Maybe they have info that says nobody is in talks with MLS (unlikely) or they won't spend what it takes to sign a legit player on this list.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/allocation

9. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Sure could use a skilled central midfielder

10. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We could use a very, very specific breed of central midfielder that would be hard to find and likely expensive to buy.

Heft repped this.
  11. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It would require actual cash, not Garber Bucks therefore it won't happen. An owner with real ambition would take a look at the standings (really pretty open in the West), the shortcomings/slow start of some of the traditional powers in the West, and the Dynamo's improved offensive play this season and see an opening where a big acquisition (like Lodeiro) could make a real difference.

Instead, we'll get a guy on loan or a 2nd division guy from South America and spend $100k on remodeling a concession stand

El Naranja, *rey* and Dynamo_Forever repped this.
  12. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    Are GAM or TAM permanent or do they expire/reset at each season's end? While one use for the tools is to buy new, a cynical use is to buy down the cap on old.

Didn't Agus being waived free up an international slot? Are we that tied in to Holland (I like but they don't seem to), Escalante (who? he's still here?), and Cabezas?

This is a "next year" move for a team that as constructed is a "this year" competitor. It's kind of like we looked at the allocation pile -- honestly, not a lot at need positions -- and then half-tried on one dude we scouted, then quit for the year. There's no one useful to us on DC's roster? Nothing we could do to increase our chances this season? The reality is when this season is over there will be some choices and a fair amount of retooling, and there's no guarantee what the team will look like and whether it will perform the same, better, worse.

13. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know about our international slot usage and capacity - seems like we've swapped some over the years and Ive lost track.

On GAM/TAM, I believe those do have expiration dates on them. But for GAM you can "use" it to buy down a contract that frees up space for the next year so even if it expires say end of 2017, a creative use can push the benefit to a future period.

TAM I thought was more restrictive because it wasn't created for teams to use for salary budget purposes but to use to actively improve the current squad.

14. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    GAM has an expiration but its something crazy like 5 years so effectively it doesnt expire. I can only think of NE letting theirs go bad once some years ago for a trade they did waaay back when.

TAM has a 2 year shelf life.

GAM is used on senior players of any salary. TAM is only used on those making DP+ ($500K) - $1M. Once used you have to replace that player with another one of equal or greater cost.

You cant use both on the same player.

Still waiting for the day when transfers dont hit the cap.

15. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    The Dynamo have played 17 regular season games which is half the season.

Houston has used 17 different starting lineups. There were two games: May 17 at Philly and June 17 @ LA where the only difference in the starters was the goalkeeper.

May 17, 2017
    Joe Willis; A.J. DeLaGarza, Adolfo Machado, Leonardo, DaMarcus Beasley; Ricardo Clark ©, Juan David Cabezas, Alex (Vicente Sánchez 56); Mauro Manotas (Andrew Wenger 64), Erick Torres, Romell Quioto (Joseph Holland 78)

June 17, 2017
    Tyler Deric; A.J. DeLaGarza, Adolfo Machado, Leonardo, DaMarcus Beasley (Dylan Remick 64); Ricardo Clark (C), Juan David Cabezas, Alex (Boniek García 46); Romell Quioto (Alberth Elis 46), Erick Torres, Mauro Manotas

League games started/appeared so far this year:

Deric 10/10
    Willis 7/7
    ----------------
    Machado 17/17
    DeLaGarza 14/14
    Leonardo 14/14
    Beasley 11/12
    Remick 7/8
    Anibaba 3/4
    K Garcia 1/2
    ---------------
    Alex 16/17
    Clark 13/15
    Cabezas 12/13
    Alexander 8/8
    B Garcia 6/13
    Wenger 3/11
    Rodriguez 0/3
    Holland 0/1
    ----------------
    Torres 14/16
    Manotas 12/16
    Elis 11/15
    Quioto 8/12
    Sanchez 0/10

16. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    https://www.mlssoccer.com/transactions/2017/summer-transfer-window-tracker/houston-dynamo

Tomas Martinez, who just turned 22, came out of the River Plate system. He had 18 appearances for the first team before being loaned to Tenerife in Spain and then Defensa y Justicia, another Argentine club. He was then transferred to SC Braga where he had just 3 appearance. Martinez was on the Argentina U20 team in 2015.

*rey* repped this.
  17. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    http://www.record.pt/futebol/futebo.../detalhe/tomas-martinez-vai-jogar-na-mls.html

18. AcetheTigah

AcetheTigah Member+

Apr 6, 2005
    Woodlands, TX
    if this is true I can't imaging they would take a risk in buying this player. I would only take him on loan before deciding to buy.

he used back up Mauro Diaz at River

very small luxury player - not a true two way like Alex

one web site says 5'9" but another site I looked at said 5'7"

19. AcetheTigah

AcetheTigah Member+

Apr 6, 2005
    Woodlands, TX
    i watched one River video when he comes in for Diaz and he loaes the ball like three times in the first 2 minutes.

Lets hope Cabrera has done the scouting and not Jordan or Kowba.

20. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    It's true

21. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Better than nothing at this point.

22. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is our second Argentinian youth national team signing after . . . . Franco Carraccio!!!!

23. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Charlie Ward has been signed to a real MLS contract for the Houston Dynamo

24. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Portuguese media has called Martinez, "the disappointing Tomas Martinez". Paid 1.2 mil euros to acquire him last season, media says Dynamo getting him for 1.7 mil euros. That's a nice return after one year for a player that wasn't good enough to get on the pitch.

*rey* repped this.
  25. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    Good to see we don't discriminate against soccer players with just one foot. =p