2017 Roster moves

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by newtex, Nov 28, 2016.

1. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    #1101 juvechelsea, May 5, 2017
    Last edited: May 5, 2017
    Run of the mill Labour voter, yawn.

American politics is an intellectual wasteland of ideas generally already disproven by experience, yet re-implemented as dogma. "Dead economists" writ large. We barely even have public intellectuals with big ideas anymore.

My current favorite is people who want (a) to vocationalize state university majors and then (b) send their kids to state school -- despite the credentialist theory that basically says we use credentials to separate class. A middle class kid whose parents force middle class oriented majors on their university, and then their kid to that middle class values school....will probably end up a middle class drone. Hmmm. We used to be a country where you majored in something else and went into business. Now you major in business to do business. No surprise it's a country that can't handle deeper historical, or scientific analysis, ie, look at bigger pictures.

The most popular major at Yale this year is history. Someone going to tell them they should major in something useful?

“The ideas of economists and political philosophers, both when they are right and when they are wrong are more powerful than is commonly understood. Indeed, the world is ruled by little else. Practical men, who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influences, are usually slaves of some defunct economist.”
    -Keynes

Dynamo_Forever and Heft repped this.
  2. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not politics. About social media conduct by a player.

3. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    Bringing it back to Holland, having looked over a few months of his twitter, my concern would be you're seeing vaguely depressed comments and when he does post team social media lately it's about him. I think we've seen this scenario play out with Alex Dixon and others before.

I won't belabor it but the midfield subbing has been either nonexistent or rubbish and I'd like to see him tried. He was in the rotation until Sanchez got brought in, and I don't think that's been improvement.

4. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    What line has he crossed.

5. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He called the president evil and implied they were racist (note his "diversity" comment). I wonder if say Tyler Deric had criticized Obama what the "no politics" crowd would have said.

6. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    *rey* repped this.
  7. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    El Naranja and *rey* repped this.
  8. Hydro

Hydro Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Houstown
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Will you ever stop baiting people into discussing politics by posting links to people who post anti-Trump messages?

Captain @ImaPuppy always falls for your "oh, I didn't say anything political, it was the other person"

DynamoManiac repped this.
  9. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is the correct answer. Aaron is great but weve no need for him. Carlos though...is there a team who doesnt need him?

Heft repped this.
  10. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I'm not sure we actually have mods. I think we are living in a Lord of the Flies world.

DonJuego, CeltTexan, El Naranja and 2 others repped this.
  11. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hydro and *rey* repped this.
  12. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
  13. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think folks on here have been saying this for a few years - if you aren't getting talent thru an academy setup and aren't willing to spend money on higher-end talent, the road is a dead end. And the new ownership groups have deeper pockets and are driving up overall costs.

14. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I like how the author was surprised at Alex, but we aren't. He was stellar last year as well.

I see the Dynamo's way forward as finding good players like OBG, Elis, Quioto, Alex Machado etc. if the investors are not going to spend big on a player, the Dynamo will need to find the hidden gems. If your familiar with Southampton in the EPL, you'll get my drift.

15. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Southampton is known for historically developing players and has a rich history - outside of Tyler Deric the Dynamo have no real prospects developed (and even then it wasn't at the youth level). Dynamo did develop some older draft picks under Dom but it's not Southampton level. I just don't see the Dynamo making that kind of investment - they pretty much ourtsources the USL and PDL teams

16. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    #1116 Heft, May 8, 2017
    Last edited: May 8, 2017
    I wasn't trying to compare Houston with Southampton, but was offering the only solution for a team with small investors.

Southampton is a team that has a knack for finding a promising player, finishing their development, and make a large profit in transfers. Adam Lallana from Bournemouth, and Nathaniel Clyne of Crystal Palace, both England international players, are just two of the excellent players that they made a large profit on. Liverpool is preparing another raid for Southampton captain, Van Dyjk that came up in Groningen, and Celtic. He will be quite expensive.

17. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    All due respect but Alex is a solid pro but not the equivalent of David Villa. He was here last season, and last season still happened.

The real difference is players like Quioto and Boniek. Special players. If we intend to be on a budget, we will rise and fall by the rate that we find players like that as opposed to Alex or Rocha. If we want to compete with high dollar teams he is either bench or complimented by better playmakers or destroyers.

What HGP and USL would do is give you another avenue to try and find occasional special players, and cheaper rank and file. Right now the only way we have of getting special players is paying market for them, and trying to find special players without paying a ton of money is threading a needle. Add to that I have little faith in Jordan's eye or long term concept.

What pops out to me from our payroll is all the $200-300k mediocrity. More of those should either be cheaper or better. Some of that is the general lack of draft and HGP traction. Some is the GM.

18. nbrooks503

nbrooks503 Previously Held @Dynamo Hostage From 2008-2019

Jun 1, 2008
    Disgruntled Former STH - Fairweather Bandwaggoner
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He comes from a country that has a government run health system that has been in existence since 1948 and provides cradle to grave health service to all. If you are unlucky enough to have a serious illness and you are able to get care after standing in line for service (waiting times for cancer treatments can be over 60 days), the grave part will probably kick in quickly.

Heft and Westside Cosmo repped this.
  19. 7seven7

7seven7 Member+

May 5, 2008
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From MLS site:

Wilmer Cabrera has a positional battle on his hands.

Mauro Manotas is productive and good. Cubo Torres is productive and good. Manotas and Torres are also center forwards in a system that only uses one center forward. So who plays when both are healthy and available? That’s a question Cabrera is going to have to answer week-to-week while maintaining the #positivevibes currently flowing through the Dynamo locker room. How he manages the situation could go a long way toward determining whether Houston return to the playoffs for the first time since 2013.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2017/05/08/wiebe-weekend-peakmls-brings-excitement-action

20. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    Rotate the four headed monster. Not really complicated. We also see where occasional injury may result in de facto rotation anyway. But with our heat plus our style plus qualifying plus Gold Cup perhaps, I'd be rotating forwards, and maybe even backs. For whatever reason Remick does see occasional PT but he hasn't rotated forwards unless his hand is forced.

I also feel like the premise pigeonholes. Elis plays CF for Honduras. Manotas and Torres could probably play wide. "Torres vs Manotas" sounds like the self defeating stupid approach of my HS coach who might box himself in on two talented players and then barely use the one who lost out, even if he was playing crap people in their other potential positions. The aim, to me, is given the players at hand, getting as many of the good ones as makes sense on the field.

I'd keep them on their toes and move them around in case of injury and to keep them fresh and also so we can get an idea what might be ideal in a short playoff game/series.

21. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    Southampton, meh, they did get relegated for 7 years. I have no urge to be a selling team within a league where some teams are buyers.

I would instead try and build up loyalty like we used to have. Get players like Boniek who could probably have moved at some point, but stay here years. It would help if we built up the academy and could call upon HGP with built in affection for Texas.

But as a Fulham fan I remember how explosive the mix of buy and mostly sell can be, they went from beating Juve in Europe to relegated very quickly when they sold the wrong people. Swansea had a similar beginning to last season, where they sold too many good people over a few years and went to crap, still on the precipice of relegation.

Conversely, I wouldn't trust a team that can't rebuild in 3 years to be repeatedly overcoming player sales. To me it is much easier to sell Cameron or trade DeRo than to replace him.

I think we should create the best team we can, ideally of people who want to play here for a career -- since we apparently aren't going to compete on salary -- and if individuals want to leave, we benefit from team strength in terms of the deal and having replacements. But to me a team with too much emphasis on selling can become an unstable yo yo.

22. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    I would look at teams in other cap leagues or leagues with low payrolls, bring their good ideas in, and also innovate (and put money in) development and scouting. Find creative niches. Train the kids in some different and modern way. Figure out some data driven way to scout. Or just scout for a change. I don't think the combination of going through motions and doing things in fairly safe and traditional fashion is likely to pay off much. You have to either try harder than the next team at some niche, or do it different.

I'm sure some people will be like, but you risk your system not producing anyone by getting cute with development. Well, we didn't have one HGP this season and have basically one long term success, so doing it how we have been isn't exactly productive, and the risk then is low. Kind of similar to what would it hurt to be creative on the road if we lose by two goals every time anyway.

23. Soccergodlss

Soccergodlss Member+

Jun 21, 2004
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Kaiserslautern
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    Disagree, this means (a) Cabezas will start and/or (b) we will be calling upon less tested bench options. I am not convinced Cabezas is a MLS starter. I have suggested trying some other midfielders.

Alexander has a grand total of 1 assist and if our midfield defense was a cheese it would be swiss. The flow to the ball pressure concepts which have worked in the first halves of home games have often fallen apart in the second half or on the road. Alexander has played nearly every game while this happens. Correlation is not causation but someone(s) are falling apart in the midfield and allowing all the space and runs we give up.

Weird thing that happens around here where because you start you somehow become good. Last season Alexander was right after Torres in terms of who is this guy and why'd we trade for him. I saw that saint-making pattern starting up again with Torres before he'd even started this season, as he was elevated back to the lineup. Alexander is basically ok, not much more, but playing time has rehabilitated him apparently. To me, he had been elevated to starter by default, by lack of effort to replace. Him and Wenger would be my first two candidates for a trade if we could help it.

Let's not make him into more than he is. The issue is more figuring out the next men up. I think the exercise will prove beneficial long term because I thought the midfield was lousy and we needed to look at our options. But in terms of it being cost/risk free, no, Cabezas has stunk a lot and the others who knows? But I think we needed to look for other ideas anyway.