2017 Regular Season Thread

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by kokoplus10, Mar 4, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exciting indeed. Especially the ending. Partly due to iffy officiating. I only wish I hadn't had to rush through it b/c I started watching it on my DVR after 1am. :(

p.s. So @mjlee22, what's a California dude like you, a Quake supporter, hanging around this NYRB thread??

3. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I only came into this thread to ask a question about the whale at your Derby. I watch a lot of MLS games & hope to go to both NY stadiums some day when the Quakes play there.

4. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're welcome in both this thread and Red Bull Arena.

I've been to quite a few stadiums both in this country and in England and I have to say that RBA is one of the best.

Just don't be surprised if it's only 1/3 full. :(

Deadtigers and mjlee22 repped this.
  5. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Haha that's better than Avaya Stadium.
    Altho we've sucked I think it's now 9 years out of 10.

Deadtigers repped this.
  6. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The blue team is getting a stadium? That's news to me!

Deadtigers and mjlee22 repped this.
  7. iced1776

iced1776 Member+

Dec 4, 2009
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    It's beautiful, called Pratt & Whitney Stadium and just a quick two hour ride from NYC

kokoplus10 repped this.
  8. miggly

miggly Member

Jan 25, 2000
    NYC
    What do you think of Marco Urena? He's definitely stood out in the last few days with Costa Rica!

9. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you read the comments on twitter, there seem to be quite a few Quakes fans like me who are pretty po'ed that he plays like that for Costa Rica but can't hit the side of a barn for the Quakes. He has NEVER hit any screamers for the Quakes like he did in the last week. It's very annoying.

I have a new theory that Godoy, Vako, and Urena are playing so well for their countries because they haven't had that much playing time for the Quakes lately. So they are very rested.

Woodrow, Deadtigers and miggly repped this.
  10. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This may be the wrong thread for this but...

I just was pleasantly surprised to see that ESPN2 is carrying the USOC Final on Weds 9/20.

Deadtigers repped this.
  11. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The USOC Final was on ESPN2 in 2015 and 2016, Gol TV from 2012 through 2014, and FSC from 2008 through 2011.

12. T.M. Anthony

T.M. Anthony Member+

Jun 13, 2010
    Hudson Valley
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The US Open Cup is really putting a wrinkle into the Red Bull's postseason push.

I hate that I have to worry about a home game against a bottom end team because they'll be resting some of they're key pieces for the game. Their spot in the playoffs is looking less and less secure, let alone their ability to host a wild-card game.

if they manage to lose both of these games I think I'm gonna start panicking.

13. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They can't keep a cleansheet. That's what should worry you more than anything.

With a defense this susceptible to goals against the run of play it doesn't matter how well we possess the ball or how many we score on the other end. It doesn't even matter if we pound Philly into the ground 7-1 this weekend.

We're going to pay the price for our defensive lapses ... again. It's either going to be in the open cup final or in the playoffs. And if we don't even MAKE the playoffs it will be because the team is incapable of keeping a cleansheet.

14. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If we win the USOC, I hope FIFA's Week In Numbers starts something like:

"22 is how many years it took original MLS club New York Red Bulls to win their first trophy."

Deadtigers repped this.
  15. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    #190 Deadtigers, Sep 18, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2017
    it took 4 hours for the USA Game

16. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    That Philly game was frustrating. Veron is looking more and more like a working class man's version of the Galvin Rey. I don't care how well Blake played, Veron should have put one away.

17. miggly

miggly Member

Jan 25, 2000
    NYC
    Unless Kemar was injured, no idea why he was taken off for Zizzo who immediately fell asleep for the 2nd KC goal. Down a goal, he was last person I wanted to bring in. Veron for Muyl was the move to make first. Ugh.

kokoplus10 and msilverstein47 repped this.
  18. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    ditto!! We really don't have a plan B. besides Veron, there is no one to help, if we got to chase the game.

19. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We can't defend against the counter and our big players and our coach never show up for big games.

20. Night shift

Night shift Member

NY Redbulls
    United States
    Mar 23, 2015
    sec 201
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Aside from that, we're in good shape!!

Woodrow and kokoplus10 repped this.
  21. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    I think it may be time to write this season off and begin looking longer term. If Marsch wants to keep his job he should be bringing along the players who can help next year. That said, it may time for Marsch to go. He's too rigid in his approach and his tactics are not dynamic enough for MLS. This team plays with a tempo that is too slow for the league. If you want to see how a possession team can play with pace, then look to the MFL and Mexican national team, who are able to keep the ball, spray it around and exploit space with quickness and precision. The Red Bulls might be able to keep the ball for long passing sequences, but they cannot break down a team, or relieve pressure when opponents defend high and scramble. Marsch also doesn't have an effective bench. God forbid this team finds itself down in must win game, oh wait, we know how that turns out.

22. T.M. Anthony

T.M. Anthony Member+

Jun 13, 2010
    Hudson Valley
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This team does not deserve to win a championship, of any kind.

The Red Bulls are such pretenders this year- they're in playoff position thanks to a summer surge but are coming into the dance cold. (IF they make it at all.)

Despite having one of the best goal scorers in the last half decade they have barely any reliable options to score or get him the ball. And the mental lapses in the backline are maddening- They cost the team a chance at a trophy in KC.

The team needs a massive overhaul, not a reload but a rebuild. This is a sinking ship and the club has to be operated under the notion that they are nothing close to being the team that won the Supporter Shield not a couple of pieces closer to returning to that form.

23. iced1776

iced1776 Member+

Dec 4, 2009
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    #198 iced1776, Sep 27, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2017
    This season is in the shitter cause we didn't actually participate in the transfer window and then got slammed by injuries, but no way do we need to hit the nuke button.

We've got a lot of guys who can be a solid core for the next ~2 years - Robles, Taxi, Long, Escobar, Murillo, Adams, Felipe, Royer, Keita, BWP, Veron.

But that only matters if...

1) They start to plan for the departures of Collin and Kljestan. Collin's season is a wash and Kljestan's legs are starting to show some age, all while the pace of MLS is getting faster.

2) They spend big money better. They've had BWP and Kljestan performing way above their salaries, and you can't expect guys making that much to carry title contenders over the long run. We've seen a turnstile of players in the $300k+ range and only Royer seems to have stuck.

I'm still a fan of Marsch. He hasn't been at his best this season, but I think more blame goes to ownership for not providing the means to sign real talent. When we got hooked into their scouting network I didn't realize that meant literally only within the Red Bull network. We're all afraid of Atlanta and Toronto right now because of their DP talent. With a few more world-class players I'd be excited to see what Marsch could accomplish.

24. miggly

miggly Member

Jan 25, 2000
    NYC
    Veron really has stepped up the past month. As much as he's earned a start, he's so dangerous as a sub running at tired legs, and if he starts, there's no one on the bench to come in and spark team if we need it.

25. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yup that's how I feel about Veron too. Did you see how into it he was last night right up to the 90th minute? How thrilled he was to have scored the game winner? Until it was no longer the game winner in the 91st minute. :( Right at that moment everyone connected with the club uttered a disgusted expression, myself and Jesse Marsh included.

miggly repped this.