2017 Regular Season Thread

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by kokoplus10, Mar 4, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
  2. jeremydneezy

jeremydneezy Member

Dec 12, 2011
    Greenville, SC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    They probably won't do it until this team truly throws a shoe. Things began to right themselves in June and the team went on a streak that lasted through July and August, and that was that, no need to spend money.

4. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They need a DP caliber CB.

5. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    They've needed one of those for the better part of three years or so, really since Olave went into decline. But not only have they focused on expensive re-treads, french 2nd division cast-offs, and pure luck, they also allowed the clubs most talented young defender to saunter off to the practice fields of London and relative obscurity of Holland.

They keep trying to skate by without any real stability at the position.

Deadtigers repped this.
  6. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not going to work.

Deadtigers repped this.
  7. iced1776

iced1776 Member+

Dec 4, 2009
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Scouting at CB hasn't been strong, but they made an honest effort with Miazga. Assuming Curtis wasn't talking out of his ass, they offered several DP level contracts, but Miazga was starry-eyed towards a European career. Same exact situation with Agudelo a few years ago.

Reality of MLS's place in the world of soccer is that some of these young players are going to want to make a jump to the next level of competition no matter what MLS is offering. Unless I guess if you're willing to overpay 10x market value, but that's a pretty dangerous precedence to set.

8. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    A "DP level" contract could mean a lot of things, but I take your point. Chelsea promised to play him, but they didn't promise to develop him. His agent did him a disservice in not offering a counterpoint, Miazga saw stars and his agent saw dollars. FWIW, I think Miazga will pan out eventually, but he'll probably be 25-26 before becoming a lock-down starter at decent club. And from a USMNT perspective, I'm not unhappy he's in Holland. I just don't think he'll ever play for Chelsea, except by first playing for a big league club, elsewhere.. They want players who can be every game starters within 0-6 months, and he was never going to be that. Now it does worry me that he's starting out the season on the bench. That may be a function of his absence with the Nats, probably missing camp time, and he'll be able to earn his way back into the lineup. I just hope this eventuality isn't being put off until someone ahead of him gets injured. Anyway, it's a long way around to me saying he could have stayed in MLS for a couple of years and been just as well off, or even better. At 22, he could still be looking at easily a 10 year European career. But no one listens to me.;)

Deadtigers repped this.
  9. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He was benched last season and won a starting role. He'll have to do the same again. Americans have a little harder time but they have to earn respect like everyone else.

If he keeps winning jobs he will be fine.

Back on topic it's not JUST that they lost Miazga it's that they couldn't get their $hit together after that fell through. You have to be prepared for all possibilities. They have continually mucked up the backline.

10. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Until US Soccer find a way to televise the USOC, the cup will remain a joke, and so will US Soccer. FFS, just give it to fox or have it exclusively on ESPN, even Super Rugby managed that!!

Anyway, the way the team came back against FC Cincinnati is a good sign that maybe they have finally broken their title winning choke act. They came back from 2-0 down with a back-up keeper in goal. I would take a USOC title and an MLS conference final run.

11. Night shift

Night shift Member

NY Redbulls
    United States
    Mar 23, 2015
    sec 201
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree that the USOC isn't treated properly but I wouldn't say it's a joke. You care, I care, I'm sure thousands of our fans are dying to finally win a trophy.
    Totally agree on your second point. Don't think MLS cup is in the cards this year, so I'd take a USOC and then a deep run in the playoffs. Bonus if we knock off NYC.

12. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just got 2 tickets to tomorrow's game for $20 each on Stubhub. Even though it's the NYC derby, I'm pretty sure we'll be able to "upgrade our seats" once we get there, like we usually can. But even if we have to stay put 2nd-row-from-top, that stadium is so nice and intimate that we'll be happy.

This was a last-minute impulse buy. I didn't check our team news, injuries or suspensions. So I hope we put out a credible XI to give NY Citeh a good fight!

13. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's a few articles for you about the joke...

http://www.espnfc.com/blog/the-toe-...s-to-troll-rivals-nycfc-over-connecticut-game

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2017...ork-city-fc-over-match-relocation-connecticut

I was at the game and I must say when they were posting trivia about Rentschler Field in East Hartford (a place I've been to many times) I was perplexed. Then later I saw the huge banner making fun of NYCFC's stadium search woes. I started to catch on. Then I googled and was enlightened.

Moral of the story... Google is your friend.

mjlee22 repped this.
  15. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thank you! After reading the MLS article and seeing the photo of the News & Notes video board, I guess I finally understand the joke is about this statement:
    • The NYCFC-Dynamo match will now be played in East Hartford, Connecticut -- in a state that hasn't seen a major-league contest in any sport since the NHL's Hartford Whalers packed up their pucks and moved south to become the Carolina Hurricanes in 1997.

kokoplus10 and Deadtigers repped this.
  16. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder if fans of the WNBA and Mohegan Suns would agree with the above statement? ;)

That said, CT is definitely a minor-league state rather than a major-league state.

And more importantly, why NYCFC would host a game 2.5 hours away by car is beyond me. When there are much closer stadia nearby. Maybe they'll have second thoughts.

17. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    CFG business model. Have plenty of time to get it, bungle the problem, have to scramble and then pay through the nose with an additional with Eithad tax. See start of franchise.

18. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So the Dallas game is only on UNIMAS? (in Spanish) What's up with this??

19. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unimas games are normally not on in English. You may not notice because any one club isn't on Unimas much, but it's not a new change. The games are available in English using SAP.

20. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    People keep saying that, but on Universe, the SAP audio is also ALWAYS in Spanish.

21. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah that's what I think I've encountered as well. So Espanol it will be I guess. No biggie, as long as it's a rare occurrence. Maybe it'll take me back to the 1990 World Cup when IIRC many of the matches on USA TV were in Spanish (or Italian?)

22. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What is Universe? Is it what used to be AT&T U-Verse?

23. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oops I need to pay more attention to autocorrect. I meant AT&T U-verse

24. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just watched that crazy game in Dallas. Adams and BWP best central defenders on the day? ;) Them plus Robles earned the point.

P.s. My SAP worked great in English... as long as I selected the third choice "French". Go figure.

25. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe it's karma, but this is the first time the SAP on AT&T U-verse was in English.
    Or maybe all this time I was watching Universe...
    That was a really exciting game!