2017 Regular Season Thread

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by kokoplus10, Mar 4, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    On a different note, Davis better light a fire under it. Based on what I saw from Adams vs. Senegal this morning, he looks capable of playing the #8 role very well, looking much better than Mike Bradley at his age. Now, Davis may outlast Adams' tenure with the club, but until that happens Adams will be choice 1 or 1A at all the central midfield positions.

2. iced1776

iced1776 Member+

Dec 4, 2009
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    I don't think its even a question right now, Adams is playing a way higher level than Davis. So long as Adams is here, he's the starter.

3. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Adams is the deal but he'll be gone by the end of the tourney. Gotta pray for Davis.

4. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Davis showed improvement tonight, playing probably his best match of the season.

5. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    New England scored first and the Red Bulls won 2-1.

6. Night shift

Night shift Member

NY Redbulls
    United States
    Mar 23, 2015
    sec 201
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good win despite going down early. Defense is shaky, team is too passive in the final third. Meaning that they look for the extra pass rather than shoot. Sacha is losing a step as he ages. Defensive upgrade should be the priority over the summer. Between that and Adams return, the team should be more solid in the later parts of the season.

iced1776 repped this.
  7. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    big game tomorrow. lets hope everyone is ready for it. those cross town frauds have gotten better, so we need to be ready.

8. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #108 NorthBank, Jun 24, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2017
    65' I groaned when Veron & Zizzo came in to "help "us. Then we went 2-0 down. I groaned louder.

It had to happen I guess.

kokoplus10 repped this.
  9. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't even notice that they had been subbed in...which is even worse.

This team has huge problems that are painfully obvious. And the most painful part about it is just how obvious the problems are and how management is doing absolutely NOTHING to address them.

NOTHING. Just trotting out the same tired formation, players and tactics again and again and again hoping for a different result. What's the definition of insanity again?

10. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1st shot on target was in the 80th minute or something. And was that our only shot on? That's a BIG problem. It seems that this is the season that the wheels finally come off of Jesse Marsh's jalopy. Hope I'm wrong.

11. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's nice to have Wright-Phillips who is 19th in career MLS goals, but we're averaging exactly 1 goal per game and only three clubs are averaging fewer than 1 goal.

12. tigersoccer2005

tigersoccer2005 Member+

Dec 1, 2003
    North Bergen, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #112 tigersoccer2005, Jun 25, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2017
    How long is it going to take for Red Bull to get over its feeling of having been "burned" by players like Rafa Marquez? Guys who the team felt they didn't get enough production from to justify the expense. Ok the man failed--but for every high priced bust there were also guys like Henry, Cahill, Guevara, and Juan Pablo Angel. This current ideology of not wanting to spend big could almost be forgiven if the club showed an interest in signing young promising talent but that is not the case either. I dont see us outbidding euro teams anytime soon for young promising talent from south america or mexico. So they're not willing to spend big on veterans or on hot young talent--leaving the team with a lot of journeymen and middle of the road "MLS Guys." I'm not blaming those players or the coach. Everyone is trying to do their best, but its obvious that the coaching staff just need better player material to work with in order to get the results everyone expects.We just got whipped by our crosstown rivals and looked stupid in the process. We all liked to tease NYC FC for being a satellite of Man City and not being a true club, but in the meantime they have built up a team that competes in this league while we are looking more anemic than ever--so who really deserves the ridicule? It's not as if Red Bull as a corporation is poor. If we really set our minds to it we could sign a great team--but is that truly the aim of the corporation for Red Bull New York?

I'm beginning to think that Red Bull not wanting to spend on the club is not truly about taking a different route towards building the team (as we were told a while back) but rather it's about ownership not wanting to try hard and simply "mailing it in" with its NY franchise because they figure they could be pumping in so much more resources into their German and Austrian sides and get a bigger and better result for their money. As a fan quite frankly i find that insulting. There can be no excuse for lack of effort. If Red Bull Gmbh is not interested in running their nyc metro area club then get the heck out of the league and sell. Red Bull fans are some of the most longsuffering in the league--we deserve better than this.

13. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    During Marsch's time I don't think it's ever been obvious until now that we absolutely have to spend some big money on guys who can walk into this lineup tomorrow.

So let's see what happens this transfer window. If it's a bunch of BS then we know for certain how Red Bull corporate feels.

Deadtigers repped this.
  14. jeremydneezy

jeremydneezy Member

Dec 12, 2011
    Greenville, SC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My to-do list would be a starting caliber winger, CAM and CB. I expect none of the three, however.

15. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would move Sasha back permanently and give Felipe/Adams/Davis a chance to take on a false 10 role. I think any of those players offer more in the pressing game and I think moving Sasha back helps with our deep distribution problems.

Speaking of distribution problems: We need an all star CB. Now. Not next window. Now. And this guy MUST be able to pass the ball at a high level. If one of Long or Collin go down the season is over. Furthermore Collin is the wrong side of 30, can't distribute, and is making a hefty salary. We cannot wait and gamble on Baah. We need to address the immediate needs of the team and the needs of the team in the long term. Spend the money. It will be worth it.

And yes we absolutely need a winger. We need a guy with speed, passing, finishing...the whole package.

Those 2 signing are a must. Big time signings. Maybe not DP but close to it. Guys in their prime who aren't cast offs of another squad and don't have an injury history. Guys that on paper could walk into this lineup tomorrow.

If I can be greedy and get 3 signings I'll take a lower salary veteran striker who made his entire career heading the ball into the back of the net. With the way teams play against us this guy should have been signed years ago. The perfect weapon in the 80th minute when we've had possession and chances, but just can't get that goal.

16. iced1776

iced1776 Member+

Dec 4, 2009
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    As far as CBs go, I don't think distribution needs to be all that high of a priority because of how Marsch plays. The most successful guys recently (Miazga, health Perrinelle, healthy Collin) have been the ones who can bully the hell out of the other team high up field. If I had to choose between a freak athlete like Olave or a finesse guy like Ream, I'm going Olave. But for the love of god just someone young and not injury prone.

17. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    So we should get Alan Gordon?

I kid. I agree we need some signings in those areas immediately. There must be players in the FA Championship or 2nd tier leagues in Europe that fill this role.

18. iced1776

iced1776 Member+

Dec 4, 2009
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Its no joke Alan Gordon would have been absolutely perfect for us.

kokoplus10 repped this.
  19. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do we have anyone who would be consistently good in supplying crosses to Alan Gordon's head?

20. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yup.

Sasha Kljestan has created a ridiculous amount of good chances on goal from dead ball situations this year. None of our guys have been converting.

Deadtigers repped this.
  21. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Perrinelle and Miazga were certainly the best CB pairing under Marsch and possibly one of the best pairings this franchise has ever seen. That's because Miazga is a ridiculous athlete and while they were playing together Perrinelle was making the same kind of savvy line breaking passes that we saw from Ream.

Long can't pass. Not like that. Not yet anyway. Perrinelle is dunzo as a starter. A good low cost backup (Which we need. No ill will toward the guy. He fits a specific need). For me, Collin is that crazy athletic guy you're talking about.

So yes, I think we need a guy who can both defend cleanly and pass accurately. Does he need to push bodies around like Collin? I don't think so. You can be an excellent defender without being a bruiser.

Additionally, I absolutely believe we need better distribution out of the back until March can figure out a way to move the ball from defense to offense better via the midfield. If he figures that out then yes MAYBE a distribution guy isn't an absolute.

22. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Jeez, Alan Gordon was joke. For all of that let's go see what Peter Crouch is up to?

We need a defender and winger before we look for a striker.

23. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    By the way is there a good YouTube source to watch games I missed or torrent source.

24. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes. But if we have $10 laying around after THEN I want an Alan Gordon.

25. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK, but I was talking about crosses from the wing in open play. If we acquire an aerial target Striker, then surely we need good winger types to service him.