2017 Referee Holiday Wishlist

Discussion in 'Referee' started by seattlebeach, Nov 28, 2017.

1. seattlebeach

seattlebeach Member

AFC Richmond
    May 11, 2015
    Not Seattle, Not Beach
    I was looking at the OSI Holiday Sale, and searched this forum for something relating to accessory bags, and found a thread from 2013 about things we want to make our lives more whole. :) Thought I'd start it again: what does your inner referee want for Christmas/Hanukkah/Festivus?

2. frankieboylampard

Mar 7, 2016
    USA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    10 less pounds around my midsection. And some goretex all black nike Terra Kiger trail running shoes.

voiceoflg, tomek75, swoot and 1 other person repped this.
  3. Law5

Law5 Member+

Mar 24, 2005
    Beaverton OR
    Probably the newer USSF warmups, since I'm still using the old dark blue and red ones. When everyone else on the crew has the new one and you don't, you stand out in ways that you don't want to stand out.

4. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I flipped through the catalogue, got a face full of Abbey Time, and left satisfied.

AlextheRef repped this.
  5. chwmy

chwmy Member+

Feb 27, 2010
    I was thinking about trying a cycling baselayer for this winter: a friend of mine owns a bike shop and they have stuff which is designed to keep you warm in freezing blowing wind. They’re pretty pricey but I hate being cold.

6. CPT_Hoolie

CPT_Hoolie Member

May 2, 2013
    Florida (South)
    Whistles to replace the ones I gave away earlier this year plus any new ones I don't have.

7. Pittsburgh Ref

Pittsburgh Ref Member+

Oct 7, 2014
    da 'Burgh
    A mark-one, mod-one hard copy of the LOTG. Having tried this past year without one to flip through, I can conclude that I have not failed, I have just found a method that does not work for me.

uniqueconstraint, mathguy ref and Law5 repped this.
  8. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    I cycle all winter long. I find the regular underarmor cold gear (and Nike) works as well as any of the quality cycling base layers.

chwmy repped this.
  9. chwmy

chwmy Member+

Feb 27, 2010
    Well that’s good ‘cause I just lost my beloved valkeen. Best price I’ve seen is $48 with free shipping on amazon (have to be careful since a lot of the cheaper listings on eBay don’t appear to include the finger grips).

10. GearRef

GearRef Member

Manchester City
    United States
    Jan 2, 2018
    La Grange Park, Illinois
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I will be going up to Abbey at our spring DA pre-season meeting and asking him for his autograph on that picture.

YoungRef87 and ManiacalClown repped this.
  11. jdmahoney

jdmahoney Member

Feb 28, 2017
    Plymouth, MN
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    chwmy repped this.
  12. GearRef

GearRef Member

Manchester City
    United States
    Jan 2, 2018
    La Grange Park, Illinois
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. jdmahoney

jdmahoney Member

Feb 28, 2017
    Plymouth, MN
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Will do. I ordered the silver one just to be sure ;)

14. tomek75

tomek75 Member+

Aug 13, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have 2 of them. To me they sound the same as the real thing, but they are not the same whistle. The finger grip is small and mine come with 3 of the same size vs 3 different sizes with the real one. I still use them all the time. I keep the real one in my USSF bag. and the fake ones in my NISOA and indoor bags. For the price you will not be dissapointed.

jdmahoney repped this.
  15. Schlager

Schlager Member

Dec 5, 2016
    I don't have one, but I can't imagine using one for indoor....I barely use my Fox 40 Classic inside. But most of what I do are small single-court facilities.

16. GearRef

GearRef Member

Manchester City
    United States
    Jan 2, 2018
    La Grange Park, Illinois
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’ve used Valkeen on indoor (was just an indoor facility i.e. no boards, same rules as outdoor) and had no problems. Also played in that same style of indoor match where the ref had one too and no problems at all with the sound or my hearing afterwards. Never had a player in indoor comment that my whistle was too loud or had anyone cover their ears.

17. Schlager

Schlager Member

Dec 5, 2016
    That makes sense for those huge indoor facilities that are essentially an outdoor field with a roof over it. I have seen pictures of those, but never played or reffed at one. All of my indoor experience (referee and player) are in rooms no larger than a HS gym.

18. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    I believe most HS BB refs use Fox 40s in the gym. Is the Valkeen much different?

19. chwmy

chwmy Member+

Feb 27, 2010
    SoCal I swear I’m gonna buy you a valkeen just because 1: it’s a crime that a guy who is so into refereeing doesn’t have one 2: you’re #1 in my book for your advice on this board. Pm me your mailing address!

Modulating a valkeen is easy and let’s you talk. Yes, indoors at full blast and the whole gym will stop. But can be blown easy and short as well, as compared to the Sonik blast, which to me has only one volume, loud.

20. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    Very kind, but I already got carried away and have too many whistles, and I really don't need the V for any of the types of games I use.

I did go on a spree where I tried a lot of whistles--I believe my collection has about 20, including the metal and plastic pea whistles from when I was a ref as a kid.

For those thinking of trying other whistles that don't want to shell out for the Valkeen, these are my favorites in more or less order:
    • the molten dolfin (similar in sound to the Fox 40, but more comfortable for reasons I can't really explain--I wonder if it was really the precursor to the V)
    • the fox 40 mini (more comfortable in the mouth to me than the classic; mine happens to be yellow, so I'm ore likely to use it if I'm wearing yellow)
    • the fox 40 sharx (I didn't like it so much at first, but used it again and changed my mind)
    For a different sound when there are many fields, I look to:
    • ACME tornado--the one that looks like a flat bent tube (a bit odd getting used to the shape, but has a different sound; I won't use it with older games, but perfect for younger games with a game right next to me)
    • the fox 40 Pearl (I find it less comfortable and harder to talk with than my three go to whistles, but it has a different sound that most whistles--to the extent you believe players pay enough attention to notice; I think we use different toned whistles more to amuse ourselves than for the actual value)
    (I've never been a fan of the sonic blast or the large ACME tornado (looks kinda like a fat deformed fox 40). While I have several pea whistles, even the thunderer, IMHO, doesn't match the modern pealess whistles. I have a few others lurking around. One small straight one that I forget the name of that has good, loud sound, but just feels too darn small in my hand and mouth.)

21. jdmahoney

jdmahoney Member

Feb 28, 2017
    Plymouth, MN
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    If anyone (like me) put gear in your cart for the holiday sale and forgot to order it, there is a way to get it at a discount. This site has all the OSI Pro shirts (not all sizes) at a discount, I have ordered from them before and they are very good. Take an additional 30% off with code 012018, making one shirt $27.41. Expires 1/15.

http://www.authenticsoccer.com/Soccer-Gear-for-Referees.aspx

tomek75 repped this.
  22. jdmahoney

jdmahoney Member

Feb 28, 2017
    Plymouth, MN
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Update: OSI Pro Jerseys now down to $17.15 with promo code 012018.

Cornbred Ref and tomek75 repped this.
  23. MetroFever

MetroFever Member+

Jun 3, 2001
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    I bought myself this warm-up for Christmas. It's the newest one they offer:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It looks as sharp in person as it looks online. Jacket seems a bit heavier/warmer than most I've seen, which I like. Shoulders on the jacket are a bit on the snug side but not tight (I got the Adult Large).

Pant pockets are deep. Material is "flexible" which is great when you're doing your pregame stretching and run/jog prior to the game, which I know everyone here does ;) .

Wishing everyone a Happy New Year and success on and off the field. :thumbsup:

seattlebeach repped this.
  24. robertref

robertref New Member

Oct 19, 2010
    Clicked on the link but don't see any OSI shirts being offered?

25. jdmahoney

jdmahoney Member

Feb 28, 2017
    Plymouth, MN
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Yeah, it appears they have taken them down. Guess they realized they would be losing a lot of money on them.