2017 Recruiting Class Announcements

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by WatzBruin, Feb 1, 2017.

1. WatzBruin

WatzBruin Member

Aug 23, 2011
    LA - SF Valley
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    It's that time of year again!

Thought it prudent to initialize a thread to allow us all to post the signing classes here as they are announced!

OverseasView repped this.
  2. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    I don't know if any schools have done traditional press releases, but there are - literally - thousands - of tweets floating around today with announcements.

Feel free to post said tweets here.

3. Hank T

Hank T Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Albuquerque
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. WatzBruin

WatzBruin Member

Aug 23, 2011
    LA - SF Valley
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
  6. WatzBruin

WatzBruin Member

Aug 23, 2011
    LA - SF Valley
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
  7. bhoys

bhoys Member+

Aug 21, 2011
    Club:
    Celtic FC
  8. fknbuflobo

fknbuflobo Member+

Arsenal FC
    United States
    Nov 16, 2011
    Akron, Ohio
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. OverseasView

OverseasView Member+

Olympique Lyonnais
    France
    Feb 3, 2013
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
  10. 9tenths

9tenths New Member

Sep 8, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    Alex Rose, previous Stanford commit, late switch to UNC.

Sandon Mibut repped this.
  11. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    He wanted to go where the girls are pretty.

He wanted a program to take. Him. Home.

WolverineFutbol repped this.
  12. CaptainD

CaptainD Member

Oct 20, 2014
    I heard that he ended up not having the grades for Stanford.

13. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Recruiting can be a jungle. Welcome to it. They got fun and games.

fknbuflobo and WolverineFutbol repped this.
  14. WolverineFutbol

Aug 1, 2012
    Early cocktails for Sandon!

15. Vilhelm

Vilhelm Member

Sep 9, 2005
    He won't have to worry about grades, or classes, at UNC.

Sandon Mibut repped this.
  16. scoachd1

scoachd1 Member+

Jun 2, 2004
    Southern California
    Pretty shocking to see UCLA with a recruiting class announcement of 3 players. Quite a far cry from the perennial #1 class in the country. Especially when they are losing a double digit number of mostly key contributors. I'm assuming more are on the way but even so this is a precipitous drop.

17. WatzBruin

WatzBruin Member

Aug 23, 2011
    LA - SF Valley
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    #18 WatzBruin, Feb 20, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2017
    The Bruins lost 8 starters including 6 underclassman/players with remaining eligibility. Although not a consistent starter last year, I heard that Romero also left. I'm inclined to believe that there was a snowball effect that took hold when players like Cannon left. As more players realized the team was going to be gutted of its core they too jumped to the pros early (Adekoya).

In the Coaching staff's defence, I would think it very difficult to anticipate this amount of attrition when formulating a recruiting strategy. Also consider there was a fair amount of turnover in Salecedo's staff as well which had to have had some impact on recruiting. Not hiring applicant Yossi Raz last season when Carlin-Voight and Griffin left last season was shortsighted IMHO. Especially with his familiarity with the SoCal soccer landscape. But I digress.

I'm thinking the Bruins will be looking overseas or in the JUCO ranks to backfill. But I'm with you, no way do they replace this amount of departed talent in what clearly is a very small window.

18. scoachd1

scoachd1 Member+

Jun 2, 2004
    Southern California
    I was going to mention Carlin-Voight top 20 recruiting class at Portland (where Romero landed) but didn't want to seem like I was piling on since I've long felt UCLA has underachieved with the talent they have. Raz, who you mentioned, is now recruiting against them at Irvine.

Fusco is an interesting hire. No idea if he's a good coach or is able to recruit, but getting a journeyman player with experience in South America, Mexico and Europe that pursued a formal education in sport seems like a big step up from the background of the vast majority of college coaches. Nice to see guys with a strong background like him and Korytoski at SDSU getting involved with better college college players. Unfortunately at the college level, recruiting trumps all as coaching only gets you so far.

19. CCSoccerFan

CCSoccerFan Member

May 2, 2009
    Ah, Raz might have been a good fit with UCLA. He's already making good inroads at the D1 level. Anyways, I digress.

Cal Poly checks in: http://gopoly.com/sports/msoc/2016-17/releases/20170307q7z4h1

Two kids from Phil Union academy. Interesting note, one of the CP recruits' dad was in the NBA for 7 yrs.

20. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Who leaves Harvard with a year to go?

Also, I remember Pete Chilcutt at UNC - had no idea he lasted so long in the NBA. (He made over 5 million in the NBA!) That his kid is now grown makes me feel - once again - very old.

21. TheBobCrayBand

TheBobCrayBand New Member

Mar 25, 2009
    Club:
    Charleston
    What is more interesting is that a kid would leave Harvard for Cal-Poly. I know Harvard soccer is dealing with some issues but even if soccer at Harvard is not an option for him anymore that is just a terrible move.

22. TheBobCrayBand

TheBobCrayBand New Member

Mar 25, 2009
    Club:
    Charleston
    Sandon beat me to it!

23. CCSoccerFan

CCSoccerFan Member

May 2, 2009
    I thought the same thing, Sandon, about the kid leaving Harvard. Maybe I'll learn more about it this year.

(Bet you thought I was gone for good from this forum, lol!)

24. CCSoccerFan

CCSoccerFan Member

May 2, 2009
    I would rethink it being a "terrible" move (academics-wise). Cal Poly ranks very high nationwide for placing grads:
    http://www.sanluisobispo.com/news/business/article39497529.html