2017 Rapids Predictions/ Golden Boot/ Etc

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by COMtnGuy, Mar 1, 2017.

1. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's get this going, no matter what happens I don't see us lower than this (Bottom 3 need way more help)

jayd8888 repped this.
  2. SccrDon

SccrDon Member+

Dec 4, 2001
    Colorado Springs
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unwilling to guess the entire West, since I don't know what any of the other teams did in the offseason.

I know what the Rapids did, and it ain't enough. I don't think we'll score enough goals to stay in the top 4. We'll either just barely make the playoffs (5 or 6) or miss them (7 or 8).

Gashi for Golden Boot - I'm assuming he won't have major injury problems. I'm expecting only marginal improvement from Badji, so still a lot of missed chances and lost chances due to poor first touch. I don't see Doyle making much difference and I hope Gordon doesn't play much.

Rod1916 repped this.
  3. AvaiBunton

AvaiBunton Member

Oct 24, 2010
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Man, MLS Transfers really likes what FCD, SSFC and Timbers did in the off-season.
    Honestly, I'd say fighting for 6th is realistic. Missing the playoffs should results in PM being fired, but that isn't gonna happen...

Golden boot is a total mystery honestly. Badji, Doyle and Gordon could all take it. I'd like to see Gashi...maybe even Calvert....(struggled writing that without laughing)

4. jayd8888

jayd8888 Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Denver CO
    I say we finish 5th in the West and win the RMC.

My golden boot will be Gashi with 13.

Stuart95 repped this.
  5. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    Rapidman will deliver it astride a unicorn with a double rainbow in the background?

6. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    • Gotta be oh-my-Goshi for the Golden Boot with more than 10. I also predict he'll add to his wonder golazo portfolio this season, but can't predict what they'll look like.

• The Rapids will drive us crazy with draws that will make it difficult for them to rise above 4th or so in the conference standings.

• The complaints about the food at the Dick on this board will be down as we've all given up on seeing an improvement in service and food quality.

• If we're lucky Smith & Co. will realize that the group can't improve it's goal scoring without at least one signing and will bring in one attacking player in an attempt to rectify the situation.

• My level of pessimism about this season will not change in the next few months.

7. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    • The Rapids will finish about 4th in the West with a point total around 50
    • We'll win the one-off playoff game at home but lose in the conference semifinals
    • Gashi will win the team Golden Boot with double-digit goals (barely)
    • We win the Rocky Mountain Cup
    • The Rapids make a move in the early season to add some offense, either a trade or a low-key signing
    • In the summer transfer window the team makes a bigger splash with a signing, possibly DP level
    • The Open Cup goes like the last couple of years where we beat a lower-league team (probably the Switchbacks) but lose when we face MLS competition
    • We're going to have one lousy stretch during the year. Nothing like the end of 2014 but 4-5 games where the season appears to go south. We recover in time to save our playoff spot though
    http://view-from-the-couch.blogspot.com/2017/03/play-it-again-sam-2017-season-preview.html

jimijam28 and Rod1916 repped this.
  8. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. Paranoid Coyote

Paranoid Coyote Member+

Oct 21, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Same prediction as last year:

SccrDon, jayd8888 and JasonMa repped this.
  11. Stuart95

Stuart95 Member+

Mar 11, 2012
    NoVA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    - 3d place finish in the West, knocked out of the playoffs in the semis
    - Knocked out early in the Open Cup
    - Win the RMC
    - Hairston wins the Golden Boot (just to give a crazy answer)
    - Atlanta and LA in the MLS Cup Finals, FCD wins the Supporters Shield again

jayd8888 repped this.
  12. fortcollins

fortcollins Member+

St. Louis City SC
    Apr 12, 2006
    Fort Collins
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I put myself on preseason prediction probation after last year's epic miss. So I'll just predict that I won't make preseason predictions for the Rapids this year. :whistling:

13. Independiente

Independiente Member

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Mar 15, 2005
    Littleton, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Quick predictions before league play starts tonight:

-Rapids return to playoffs, with lower seeding (maybe 5th).
    -Rapids give up slightly more goals, but also score slightly more goals than last year (just 'cause I'm optimistic - I like more goals).
    -Golden Boot = Badji (after a switch is made to play him up top, with Doyle underneath at the "10" spot).
    -Golden Ball = Howard (assuming he plays 70% or more games).
    -Best in the West will be: FC Dallas, Seattle, LA and Vancouver. Rapids middle of the pack. Portland, RSL, SKC will under-perform. Houston, San Jose, Minnesota will be bottom of the table.
    -Juan Ramirez returns and provides a spark to meager attack (unlikely to happen, but cool if I get prediction right).
    -Rapids sign a DP player in July, but it's a defensive player (everyone groans).

kucsdat and jayd8888 repped this.
  14. 22SteveD

22SteveD Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2011
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #14 22SteveD, Mar 4, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2017
    Guess I need to do this.

We will again struggle to score while defense gives up more goals
    Just miss out on a playoff spot in the final days
    The golden boot winner (Gashi) will again fail to get past 10 goals
    High school teams will have more threatening free kick plays than Rapids.