News: 2017 Raccoon Rodeo - the in season discussion thread

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by morrissey, Mar 1, 2017.

1. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Morrissey is rightly pointing out that Ben won't be running on borrowed time anymore. Given how much the team has spent on new players, Ben will have much higher expectations now. Rah-Rah stuff will begin to grow tiresome on people that write the checks if he doesn't do well. Shawn will point out that Ben will begin next season on the road so he is still pretty much guaranteed a job through next season.

2. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    For shits and grins, I watched the "highlights" of the 2nd leg of the 2012 playoffs against RBNY. What surprised me about what I saw was that Pajoy played the role of hold up forward very well. He trapped, distributed and moved. It was his pass -- cross field no less -- to Robbie Russell that set up Russell's pass to NDL who Conor Lade so gentlemanly left onside. For all the shit Pajoy took on these boards, I haven't seen hold up play like that from either Mullins or Brown -- just sayin'.

dadman, mosca, fatbastard and 5 others repped this.
  3. D C B 2 3

D C B 2 3 Member+

Nov 18, 2007
    VA
    ^ I must have watched that match 10 times..."would you believe it!"

mosca, DecadeOfDCU26 and Winoman repped this.
  4. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
  5. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Not true with the better roster I will hold him to higher standards. Not Shammy standards but higher. Lol

dadman, Winoman, Heist and 2 others repped this.
  6. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But can they be offsides more often than they get shots off every game?

7. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    Winoman and sitruc repped this.
  8. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Winoman, asitis and John L repped this.
  9. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    That's good to hear. He really needs to play as an inside forward for us as Arriola is really more of a true winger.

Winoman repped this.
  10. gringolimon

gringolimon Member

Club Bolívar
    Bolivia
    Sep 12, 2007
    White Plains, NY
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Winoman repped this.
  11. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    #1061 Boloni86, Sep 3, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2017
    Hungary is effectively already eliminated. They would need to win last 3 games and see Portugal lose 3 games. That's a hail mary considering how strong Portugal is. And Portugal's next games is against minnow Andorra.

On the flip side this means no summer soccer for Hungarian NT members next year. Wonder if Zoltan can convince one of his team mates to come over. I'm thinking of Adam Szalai being a perfect fit. A big bruising center forward who can't stop scoring for the national team the last 18 months or so. The best Hungarian player is Balazs Dzsudzsak. He would be one of the top 3 set piece takers in the league. Unfortunately he doesn't fit our team right now since we already have Stieber, Acosta and Arriola under contract for next year, and those are the positions Dzsudzsak likes to play.

Some other Hungarians that could plug holes on the team could be center backs are Tamas Kadar (Dynamo Kiev), Richard Guzmich (Yanbian) and Adam Lang (Beitar Jerusalem). Also a good left back Mihaly Korhut (Hapoel Beer Sheva). And a decent defensive midfielder Akos Elek (Kairat). These would all be non DP players.

DCUSA, song219, jason1551 and 4 others repped this.
  12. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Stieber not in the starting 11.

Winoman repped this.
  13. Theopisa

Theopisa Member+

Pisa Sporting Club
    Italy
    Oct 7, 2008
    Venezia
    Club:
    Pisa Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Portugal won in Hungary. I think after the Euro they fully realized of good of a team they are and are playing consequently. Then of course, having CR7 helps a lot, but it's not only that (in fact they won the Euro final without him on the field). I expect Portugal to smash the Swiss in the last game and go to Russia 2018 automatically

14. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    The elimination playoffs are fraught with peril with some good teams likely to be in the mix. Will Portugal decimate the Swiss? I'll say that I'll be watching, but expect to see the Portugal side at the mercy of the draw with the Swiss going direct,

15. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Not necessarily. Don't a lot of teams schedule friendlies against teams not in the finals as "tune up" matches?

16. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Goff reports Kemp out for remainder of the season with groin injury. I would expect Nicky to start at LB for the duration. Franklin will miss the Fire match with yellow accumulation. Will we see Odoi-Atsem or Korb at LB?

sitruc repped this.
  17. gringolimon

gringolimon Member

Club Bolívar
    Bolivia
    Sep 12, 2007
    White Plains, NY
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Any mention about Miranda?

18. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Obviously, I meant "Right Back" in #1066, above. And Goff only mentions Miranda's injury, but doesn't say if he has mended or not.

19. gringolimon

gringolimon Member

Club Bolívar
    Bolivia
    Sep 12, 2007
    White Plains, NY
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    My apologies. Did you mean Left Back?

20. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am assuming DeLeon continues at Left Back, and either Korb or Odoi-Atsem starts at Right Back in place of the suspended Franklin.

Winoman repped this.
  21. asitis

asitis Member+

Mar 30, 2005
    Charlottesville
    That's a real shame about Kemp. I hope they can get his injury sorted out.
    I know many think players don't develop under this coaching staff. Kemp is the obvious exception to that thought. He has become a competent defender and still offers a good bit going forward. I wish him well.

asitis

Eastern Bear and fatbastard repped this.
  22. DecadeOfDCU26

DecadeOfDCU26 Member+

May 2, 2007
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Korb has played a bunch of left back though and NDL was really more of an emergency LB. I'd say if Korb starts he is LB, if Odoi-Atsem does, he is RB.

23. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    I like the idea or Korb at left back because he's more defensive minded. You want Stieber in and around the box as much as possible, so he may not defend that much. Having a 'stay at home' fullback behind him would offer security.

On the other side Arriola is more of a two way winger, which can allow De Leon to overlap and create an overload.

Korb on left and De Leon on right is a better balance IMO. Which means that Olsen will do the exact opposite.

ElApacheTevez, GumbyG and Winoman repped this.
  24. UnitedBorn

UnitedBorn Member+

Dec 7, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. tallguy

tallguy Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    MoCoLand, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    sitruc, Winoman and fatbastard repped this.