News: 2017 Raccoon Rodeo - the in season discussion thread

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by morrissey, Mar 1, 2017.

1. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    United might not be done. One source said the club is pursuing other free agents before the Sept. 15 cut-off.

2. shammypants

shammypants Member+

Oct 9, 2013
    Club:
    DC United
    It's Kamara or nothing at this point

3. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1003 shawn12011, Aug 18, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2017
  4. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    Fortunately neither children nor adorable pets were impacted by the breakup,

5. Murrdcu

Murrdcu Member

DC United
    United States
    Apr 25, 2017
    shawn12011 repped this.
  6. GumbyG

GumbyG Member+

DC United
    Mar 22, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1006 GumbyG, Aug 18, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2017
    Joe Ledley, Jason Lowe would also be legitimate targets in midfield. Ledley's a 30 year old Welsh national team player with 106 Premiership games under his belt - he'd be a good get. He's left footer who could challenge Harkes, and provide some quality when Acosta's not on the field, too. Someone who can help out in the box. Lowe's more of a 6/8 for us, as he couldn't score playing Yahtzee. A former England U21 player, he does the dirty work and has a collection of cards to prove it. Both guys are at least Championship material, and would either be starters out of the gate or raise the level of play. Ledley, despite his age, is sought after, and out of contract of his own accord. Not sure what he's waiting for, but he turned down two offers from Championship teams this week. Lowe's captained Blackburn to relegation. Despite the ignominy, leadership is leadership, and it's not like he can do worse here. In fact, at this point, he's probably up for playing for a team that can't be relegated, and at 25, he's got a chip on his shoulder and plenty of time to play and learn ahead of him. He's also likely to be a player whose cap hit we can bring under the DP limit with TAM.

7. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rossi ruptured his ACL in April and would be no help to any MLS team in 2017.

Boloni86, Winoman, sitruc and 1 other person repped this.
  8. gringolimon

gringolimon Member

Club Bolívar
    Bolivia
    Sep 12, 2007
    White Plains, NY
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    It was announced this morning that Bruno Miranda will be called up for the 2 qualifiers the Bolivian National team has coming up (8/31 & 9/5). I checked United's schedule and they don't have any games from the 26th to the 9th. Bruno will probably leave on the 27th and returned the 6th, so this should not affect his availability if he is considered for some playing time. Hmm, is this purely coincidence or is MLS now working around FIFA dates (and the days in between) to accommodate clubs with players being called up?

9. gringolimon

gringolimon Member

Club Bolívar
    Bolivia
    Sep 12, 2007
    White Plains, NY
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Props to @Hedbal on posting this above in another thread....

This is Bruno's opportunity to shine and I wish him all the best. In one week, he went from being mainly considered for 2018 (possibly Richmond bound) to having a spot on the bench and now to starting. Just as how quickly his situation has changed for the best, it just as quickly go in the opposite direction and I'm sure he knows this but he needs to perform very well on Saturday night so he can remain in the starting lineup.

¡Vamos United!

Winoman and Eastern Bear repped this.
  10. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    Assuming Marco Etcheverry doesn't book his travel. He had a habit of missing his return dates by a week or so

Winoman, Hedbal and gringolimon repped this.
  11. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    He made a very intelligent and accurate pass during his moments in the last "game", something that others haven't managed to do this season. Play him

gringolimon repped this.
  12. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    He'd be #2 on the depth chart in a wheel chair. He's a starter even with a limp. Buy baby buy

13. gringolimon

gringolimon Member

Club Bolívar
    Bolivia
    Sep 12, 2007
    White Plains, NY
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I dont remember that but I believe it, especially if Bolivia had a month/week long festival during those dates, which is almost every month. hehehe

El Diablo being El Diablo.

DCUSA repped this.
  14. gringolimon

gringolimon Member

Club Bolívar
    Bolivia
    Sep 12, 2007
    White Plains, NY
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Speaking of El Diablo, I remember a while back how Arena mentioned that he would consider him as part of his coaching staff in the future. Whether that is true or not, he has done some coaching and was considered as an option to coach the Bolivian National Team but he pulled himself out of consideration due to the corrupt climate in the Bolivian federation at the time. Anyways, if there's interest on both sides, he would be a nice addition to United as an Assistant Coach, if not Head Coach.

DCUSA and Eastern Bear repped this.
  15. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    We remember him. And I'm sure Ben does as well. But if Olsen is squeezed out by the FO ( as so many people here want), then there's nobody in management who's ever heard of him.

16. Murrdcu

Murrdcu Member

DC United
    United States
    Apr 25, 2017
    If you're gonna bring in an injured soccer player, it's zlatan ibrahimović

17. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    Only problem is Zlatan costs more per pound than French Truffles

Boloni86 repped this.
  18. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    I think the raccoons v the groundhogs will become one of the classic "derbies."

ElApacheTevez and Winoman repped this.
  19. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    I would love to see Etch here, but is he fluent in English yet?

Winoman and gringolimon repped this.
  20. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    He's fluent in left foot

Adler, Hedbal, gringolimon and 2 others repped this.
  21. gringolimon

gringolimon Member

Club Bolívar
    Bolivia
    Sep 12, 2007
    White Plains, NY
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    More like native to it! ;)

Adler and Winoman repped this.
  22. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1022 morrissey, Aug 21, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2017
    Can someone remind me (in all seriousness) if we dominated any game/team this season?

How many wins have we had that were really handed to us by the other team? I think we played well in Atlanta but can't remember the specifics and we started off dominating the flounders but we all know how that turned out.

James

23. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    Just for curiosity, I went back and reviewed each win.

2-1 win over Philadelphia at RFK - we lost possession battle 57% to 43%. They outshot us 19 to 9. 9 to 3 on goal.

2-1 win over NYCFC at RFK - We were outshot 15-13. Although even with shots on goal with 6.

3-1 win over Atlanta at Bobby Dodd - We lost possession 74% to 26%:eek:. Outshot 26 to 9. But again even on shots on goal with 7

1-0 win over Vancouver at BC Place - We lost possession 53% to 47%. Outshot 22 to 7. It's becoming a trend to say this, but yet again tied on 4 shots on goal

2-1 win over Atlanta at RFK. Wow we actually outshot them 17 to 15. But they had 5 on target, to our 4. They also won possession 55% to 45%

1-0 win over Colorado DSGP. Again, we lose possession 61% to 39%. We were outshot 18 to 14. But we were more accurate with 6 on goal to their 4.

So the pattern for our 6 wins seems to be consistently losing the possession battle and being outshot. The magic sauce for us to get a win is depending on the other team to have an abnormally poor night of shooting accuracy. But for us to be able to dominate a team through possession and chance creation is basically impossible.

NicktheGreek, Eastern Bear and Winoman repped this.
  24. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Sorry.

Winoman, benni..., Boloni86 and 3 others repped this.
  25. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    I was pointing out in the Rapids threat that this is just Ben. I've come to the stark realization that even with a bigger budget, we will simply get a better executed version of this from Ben in the near future. We may get more wins, but it's ugly, and I don't think there is enough $ in the salary cap/etc. to have a team that is as strong in the back as Ben wants, but is also able to put away the few chances they will create.