News: 2017 Raccoon Rodeo - the in season discussion thread

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by morrissey, Mar 1, 2017.

1. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    Don't care too much why we've got the results, I'm just glad we're getting them.

griffin1108 and Winoman repped this.
  2. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Agreed. I think the high press has helped him too. It's a little tougher for a deep sitting midfielder to bomb it over the top when he's getting pressured.

3. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Problem solved:
    [​IMG]

4. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    May be like taking Sir Jackie Stewart to test drive Toyota Yaris. While your intentions are pure you might want to share something he won't get in Brazil like a Baseball game

5. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    That is already in the works, but I have my doubts whether he will like it. I think he would enjoy the soccer experience here, despite its differences with Brazil.

6. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's a reason you can't see it most other places, it's difficult to sit through ;) No need to torture the guy.

Or nicer, like he just said above :D

tallguy repped this.
  7. song219

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    This is why foreigners laugh among themselves when they hear the term "American Exceptionalism"

8. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    He's not on the roster though. He wasn't given a contract. At one point there were rumors that he'd get invited as a preseason trialist, but Kasper shot that down pretty quick.

We now have Tissot under contract. Unless I'm missing something, the Korb ship has sailed.

9. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    Well, beauty is just a light switch or a quart of rum away, Sometimes it takes both

10. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-comeback-with-united/?utm_term=.53a359826576

TowsonDad, Winoman and Boloni86 repped this.
  11. DangerMouse37

DangerMouse37 Member+

Jan 22, 2004
    WDC / Barra
    You watch. The summer transfer window will open and our high profile signing will be Chris Korb. I'd be thrilled to have pre-injury Korb on the team, mind you. Just not sure if that guy is possible.

Good on him for his desire to keep at it. Hats off for that!

Eastern Bear repped this.
  12. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    Boswell has his limitations, but I still believe he is DCU's MVP since 2014 when he returned. The reason -- he matured in Houston and is now a clubhouse and on-field leader, something DCU sorely lacked in 2013 and other years. Olsen was seduced by Franklin's greater pace and ball control and figured that if he (Franklin) had played in the middle once in MLS, he could do it again. That experiment failed not necessarily because of Franklin's failings, but because he was not a good fit with Birnbaum, who, at this time seems more comfortable as the "silent partner" in a CB pairing. Boswell's return means that Olsen now has reasonable depth in the back and can slot Franklin in at RB later in games to provide some fresh legs and smarts on defense. (Although in that regard, NDL seems to be making the transition to RB look like a smart move on Olsen's part.)

Q*bert Jones III repped this.
  13. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Note that in our last match Franklin entered at RB when Nyarko was subbed out and Nicky moved to LW replacing Nyarko. It's clear Ben values Nick's presence on the pitch, whatever the position.

14. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    I wonder if any thing immersed in the Anacostia for more than 5 minutes would still be white. Better find a car/boat wash that uses tydee-bowl exclusively

Winoman repped this.
  15. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    It''s not the dirt that I worry about. It's the boat-eating bacteria in the Anacostia. Except for the ship at the Navy Yard, have you ever seen any other aquatic craft in the Anacostia?

Winoman repped this.
  16. song219

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    I've seen crew teams on the Anacostia but since they are high schoolers they don't really matter.

Boloni86, John L, Winoman and 1 other person repped this.
  17. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    The USS Barry has been put out to pasture in Philly.

18. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They want it to completely disappear?

Adler repped this.
  19. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Good summary. I too was seduced by Franklin's skill and pace as I advocated for the move during the off season. Injury will probably give Franklin a 2nd chance later in the year. The bad news with Bobby back there is that we have to play a deeper defensive line. The high press we're running now really does require a high line to constrict space. Nobody wants to see Bobby running with his back to the opposition chasing down balls.

Winoman repped this.
  20. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    Well there is the DC Yacht club down at the very end of M st past the Maritime center.

21. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    B&RU report a Kurt Morsink sighting in the RFK stands today.

Wonder if he's buying or selling?

Winoman repped this.
  22. Murrdcu

Murrdcu Member

DC United
    United States
    Apr 25, 2017
    Probably both.

We need to bolster the attack. Either B&R or Goff mentioned needing to replace aging wingers. Since roster spots are most all filled, we are going to have to wheel and deal to make room for new signings.-

23. Murrdcu

Murrdcu Member

DC United
    United States
    Apr 25, 2017
  24. DangSkippy

DangSkippy Member+

Apr 28, 2009
    MoCo Maryland
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is neither here nor there, but every now and again, I see a DC United Facebook post about how Wells Fargo is donating money to DC Saves (CAAB) every time Hamid makes a save. I can't help but wonder if DC has had such a lacklustre defence for so long because Ben Olsen is serious about his charity work.

fatbastard repped this.