News: 2017 Raccoon Rodeo - the in season discussion thread

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by morrissey, Mar 1, 2017.

1. shammypants

shammypants Member+

Oct 9, 2013
    Club:
    DC United
    I think Franklin will falter the most, with Sam being a reliable but no longer quick wing man and Nyarko still having a good/very good game every three matches. Is that enough to win an MLS Cup? Does anyone think we're angling for that as a goal right now anyway?

2. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is there any reason that Ortiz should not be a starter based on the play of the other starters? Was he a starter in Costa Rica?

I can't imagine he could be any worse and would have the added benefit of getting game fit and hopefully developing some chemistry with Acosta.

James

3. shammypants

shammypants Member+

Oct 9, 2013
    Club:
    DC United
    You're not trying hard enough

GumbyG, Boloni86, bigredfutbol and 2 others repped this.
  4. DCUSA

DCUSA Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Birnbaum excluded from the Nats. I'm glad. He's needed here and he wasn't going to play with them anyway.

Winoman and NicktheGreek repped this.
  5. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Sadly I'm in the mindset of "why wouldn't they at least take him to Florida?"

JRHokie and DCUSA repped this.
  6. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    Arena discussed some of his choices with the broadcast team during the Champions League pregame today, as soon as I saw Birnbaum wasn't selected I knew the whining here would begin. Take solace that United won't lose a player they might need in the run toward another draw (dare I dream of a win).

Oveki8 and Winoman repped this.
  7. DangerMouse37

DangerMouse37 Member+

Jan 22, 2004
    WDC / Barra
    This is a gift to us. B is our captain and only legit Nat. They will be ok without him for a game. Without him we're screwed.

The team had better show up ready on Saturday. Only 1 or 2 points out of the first 3 would create a pretty serious headwind, even this early...

NicktheGreek repped this.
  8. GumbyG

GumbyG Member+

DC United
    Mar 22, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am probably in the minority, but I thought our play against NYCFC showed improvement. We were more incisive and connected better. We won't face higher pressure this season, and we still had 13 shots. That's a far cry from pretty much any previous Ben Olsen team in March. There's still stuff to sort out in midfield, with or without Acosta, but we're in no worse shape than we were at the end of last year, just suffering the inconsistency and miscommunications of the early season.

I think there was much more to be learned from that game as well. Harkes is a real option at the 8, Marcello is still a useful creator, but maybe not a starting DM anymore, and Vincent is a capable DM, even playmaker. Mullins' form improved, even if he didn't contribute much running the line - Nyarko owed a good bit of his good game to Mullins. Neagle may not be a good sideline partner for DeLeon. DeLeon needs situational help. Birnbaum isn't yet the rock organizer Boswell is, and it'll take time for this back line to gel. They're making mistakes, but they aren't getting overrun.

We're 4 games from solid, but this is going to be a fun team to watch, and we're going to win a lot of games.

DCUSA, jason1551 and ElApacheTevez repped this.
  9. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    It's possible. I think the key is to build momentum and confidence at home. Some home draws are OK, but not home losses. If you can do that, you can afford to lose road games against the likes of NYC. There are better opportunities to steal points on the road against teams like Philly and New England.

We have a 3 game home stand and that will tell us a lot where we stand. If we're not in the top 6 at the end of the home stand, I'd start to worry. Ideally I'd like 7 or 9 points, but I'd settle for 5 or 6.

Eastern Bear repped this.
  10. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    My penalty hierarchy going forward would be :

1) Mullins - Very accurate shooter in the run of play. A PK is a good way to jump start a striker's confidence.
    2) Neagle - Second best shooter in the attack. Last year's leading scorer.
    3) Vincent - Hardest shot out of midfield. Pretty accurate too.
    4) Jeffrey - Second best shooter out of midfield. Pretty calm player too. I think he can hold his nerve.
    5) Kemp - Best shot in defense. Staff should do homework to see if any keepers struggle against left footers.
    6) Acosta - Not the best shot, but he's tricky and can make the keeper go the wrong way.

Only after all 6 of those options are unavailable would I consider Sarvas again ...

Eastern Bear, GumbyG and Winoman repped this.
  11. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    I'd try Birnbaum & Hamid before Sarvas

Winoman repped this.
  12. DecadeOfDCU26

DecadeOfDCU26 Member+

May 2, 2007
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Marcelo took and made a penalty against NJ last season. I think it's just one of those behind the scenes things where he is the best penalty taker in training and he just happened to miss the last one. We've had no shortage of missed penalties the last few seasons. Fabi, Rolfe, DeRo off the top of my head

13. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Marcelo's miss was due to poor placement and meager power. It's rare that a penalty taker does both at one time.

14. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's telling that one day before a home match there's no pre-game thread. Come on, let's not get discouraged and indifferent until we are out of the playoff picture - and that won't be for months!

NicktheGreek repped this.
  15. DecadeOfDCU26

DecadeOfDCU26 Member+

May 2, 2007
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I made the first 2...figured someone else would. I'll do it tho

TowsonDad, Winoman and Boloni86 repped this.
  16. JRHokie

JRHokie Member+

Aug 23, 2001
    Fairfax, VA
    Wow - no posts since our last game.

So...let me stir things up. Cassar released by by RSL after 3 games. They had 1 point and one goal. We have 1 point and no goals.

It's been obvious for years that there is no accountability and no interest from the owners to make the team compete for a championship. Ben has never even remotely been on the hot seat. But, does his seat get slightly warmer as the opening of the new stadium approaches?

17. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    He will be here for the new stadium.

18. DecadeOfDCU26

DecadeOfDCU26 Member+

May 2, 2007
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I (purely emotionally) feel like Ben deserves to lead us out for the first match no matter what happens until then. He is DCU at this point.

fatbastard repped this.
  19. DCUSA

DCUSA Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If they pull a 2013, he'll be gone. Otherwise, I doubt it. I think it's interesting John Harkes is available. United could sell hope/change with a big time DP and Harkes at the helm. So it's possible.

JRHokie repped this.
  20. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just don't think anyone thinks anything will happen at this point. Hoping but being realistic. Mullins is down and we have no backup, Acosta is not 90 minutes fit, etc.

james

Eastern Bear and sitruc repped this.
  21. DecadeOfDCU26

DecadeOfDCU26 Member+

May 2, 2007
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Demoralizing performance, no news, and it's an international weekend

sitruc and Winoman repped this.
  22. shammypants

shammypants Member+

Oct 9, 2013
    Club:
    DC United
    I don't, emotionally or otherwise. The league is increasingly impersonal and businesslike anyway. No point in clinging to sentimentality when we're being left in the ashes of history by entire new regions of MLS.

JRHokie repped this.
  23. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Like Minnesota?

:)

james

shammypants repped this.
  24. shammypants

shammypants Member+

Oct 9, 2013
    Club:
    DC United
    Nah, the Pacific Northwest, then LA2 will spur on a revival in the West, then I think Miami and Atlanta (Southeast) will be playoff teams generally and then the Great Lake Tundra maybe fourth

25. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    Atlanta will never win anything in any sport -- it has been written so.

fatbastard, Boloni86 and jason1551 repped this.