News: 2017 Raccoon Rodeo - the in season discussion thread

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by morrissey, Mar 1, 2017.

1. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd like to believe we will sign someone else (likely from within the league) but at this point I think we are done.

James

2. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    Bad news for DCU their best and only high performing player called up, and no kiddies I'm not talking about Birnbaum

3. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    Hope he gets his chance and is outstanding. I wouldn't really mind it if he shines and gets signed in Europe. The team would miss him but what's best for individual players in advancing their careers is also best for the team in the long run

ElApacheTevez repped this.
  4. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I think there are one, maybe two moves left but they will be deck chairs.

Winoman repped this.
  5. DecadeOfDCU26

DecadeOfDCU26 Member+

May 2, 2007
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Except Chicago still paid his entire salary. We traded TAM and a 3rd round pick for a DP level (in salary only) backup for the end of the season with no salary cap hit, and no risk for 2017. Kasper was not a sucker here

Q*bert Jones III, mosca and shawn12011 repped this.
  6. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where is he now? What did he do for us?

james

Boloni86 repped this.
  7. DecadeOfDCU26

DecadeOfDCU26 Member+

May 2, 2007
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1 - Orebro in Sweden

2 - Absolutely nothing

He was brought in as depth. Our front 3 lineup (Sam-Mullins-Nyarko) was set by that time. He was an insurance policy in case something severe happened to any of our forwards/wingers. Luckily we didn't need to file a claim, so that and his $900k salary are the reasons he is not here anymore.

I see posts all the time about how we have no depth. We went out and got depth for the playoff run, for $0 cap hit, and excess TAM (excess since we had enough TAM to use on Lucho and Birnbaum)

ElApacheTevez, mosca and John L repped this.
  8. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Winoman, jason1551, Eastern Bear and 4 others repped this.
  9. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    They think they're geniuses on how to keep our expectations low.

“We want to create our own big names and win,” - ain other words - we're going to continue to be cheap on the payroll

“I don’t feel we need a marketing gambit. This is a soccer town." - YES YOU DO. This is an NFL football town. This is a MLB baseball. This has pockets of being a soccer town, but you need to spend some moneys to capitalize on it.

ImNumberTen repped this.
  10. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    The naive BS spewing from Levien is deplorable. He thinks he can just turn a switch and start competing for championships? He's got no plan. No vision. All he has is the hope that DCU catches lightening in a bottle. If they wanted to go young and develop their own players the Academy would be much further along right now. There would be a training facility already. If you want a model for developing your own stars just go visit Dallas.

caliban, JRHokie, fatbastard and 4 others repped this.
  11. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
  12. Theopisa

Theopisa Member+

Pisa Sporting Club
    Italy
    Oct 7, 2008
    Venezia
    Club:
    Pisa Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    NEVER A JOY

13. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    #439 Boloni86, Jun 28, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2017
    And Sneijder is just the tip of the iceberg for this transfer window. Montreal is being linked to a Boca Juniors striker for $5 mil transfer fee. Vancouver is being linked to Atiba Hutchinson for $5 mil transfer fee. Seattle could pay as much as a $10 mil transfer fee for Derlis Gonzalez, a highly rated Paraguayan international. There's even been rumors linking Liga MX's top striker Andre Pierre Signac to the Galaxy for a transfer fee in the $20 mil range. Other names floating around are David Ospina, Macnelly Torres, Andres Guardado and Keisuke Honda. Maybe even Chicharito, Iniesta or Zlatan ...

And it's not just 2 or 3 clubs spending like it used to be. This past offseason Portland bought a player for $5 mil. Dallas bought another for $2mil. Montreal just brought in a 7 figure player in Dzemaili. Just in our conference we now have Atlanta, Orlando, Chicago, NYCFC and TFC all spending to win.

We're not even keeping up with where the league was 5 years ago, let alone where it's heading today.

Adler, ImNumberTen, griffin1108 and 4 others repped this.
  14. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    GumbyG, UnitedBorn and Winoman repped this.
  15. Theopisa

Theopisa Member+

Pisa Sporting Club
    Italy
    Oct 7, 2008
    Venezia
    Club:
    Pisa Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Another beautifully played game, all heart and soul and quality. It's a shame to exit the cup this early, but I also understand that the main seasonal goal we should really concentrate on is avoid relegation, oh wait...

Winoman repped this.
  16. Theopisa

Theopisa Member+

Pisa Sporting Club
    Italy
    Oct 7, 2008
    Venezia
    Club:
    Pisa Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Please don't whine, I'm sure our front office can get us back Pescadito

17. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mission Accomplished!!!!!

18. tallguy

tallguy Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    MoCoLand, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Let all the poison that lurks in the mud hatch out."

John L and Q*bert Jones III repped this.
  19. Theopisa

Theopisa Member+

Pisa Sporting Club
    Italy
    Oct 7, 2008
    Venezia
    Club:
    Pisa Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    In the meantime Miami just slammed Atlanta out, and Cincinnati is still 0-0 with Chicago, in front of a sell out crowd, they must be some ~30K at the stadium.

Winoman repped this.
  20. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    What are teams that deserve to be in MLS more than DC, Alex ...

21. Theopisa

Theopisa Member+

Pisa Sporting Club
    Italy
    Oct 7, 2008
    Venezia
    Club:
    Pisa Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Not really

22. DangerMouse37

DangerMouse37 Member+

Jan 22, 2004
    WDC / Barra
    the team is an embarrassment. the FO should just come out and say they are a real estate firm trying to flip the team, get a reality tv show, and leave us alone. DC is a soccer town, I agree. DCUnited right now just isn't soccer. they are a pickup team, run by a burnt out coach with a kind of PTSD owned by 1%ers who don't care about the sport or the fans.

the play, the advertising, the coach, the stadium plans... they all say "we'd rather be doing something else." So do it.

Pick a number -- not a stupidly low number, but one that could give us some reasonable hope at if not a trophy, at least dignity and a playoff spot. Put that money on the table. Get a new coach with some -- ANY -- new ideas. And get the fck out of the way. Please, no more pap about the stadium or the need for effort. Neither makes me feel 1/100th as pumped as my no-tradition FC Cincinnati friends who have energy and a desire to win over the community.

Let's be clear: Nothing is wrong with this team that cannot be fixed. And we have some good young talent. I'm more convinced than ever that the FO is the problem. Their lack of professionalism and commitment feels to me like an insult. You don't want to run the team? Fine. Make a deal. Get a % of the sale when it sells and give the running over to someone who actually gives a shit. In the interim, don't turn our franchise into a fcuking tenement because you're uninterested in your fans, your community or your players. Sheesh.

JRHokie, Winoman, John L and 1 other person repped this.
  23. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Multibillionaire Jeff Bezos, who owns the Washington Post, apparently sent out a Facebook query asking for advice on what sort of charitable giving he should embrace. I have an answer for him, and it's very close to home. He could buy out DCU's ownership with his pocket change.

JRHokie and Winoman repped this.
  24. Theopisa

Theopisa Member+

Pisa Sporting Club
    Italy
    Oct 7, 2008
    Venezia
    Club:
    Pisa Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Winoman repped this.