2017 Presidential Elections

Discussion in 'Sporting CP' started by Inkie, Dec 28, 2016.

1. Inkie

Inkie Member

May 17, 2013
    Paio Pires
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Bruno de Carvalho's 4 year term ends in 2017, and Sporting will held elections on March 2017 to elect who will manage the club until 2021.

There are 4 different governing bodies to be elected:

• Conselho Diretivo: Main governing body, responsible for the management of the club's sporting policies;
    • Mesa da Assembleia Geral: Responsible for the club's general meetings;
    • Conselho Fiscal e Disciplinar: Encharge of fiscal control and economic regulation of the club's financial policies.
    • Conselho Leonino: Governing body without any legal power over the club, whose sole purpose is to discuss and offer advices to the previous governing bodies.
    Yesterday, the first candidate for the club's presidency was announced: Pedro Madeira Rodrigues.

Bruno de Carvalho has claimed he is still reflecting on whether he'll reapply for his current position as president of the Conselho Diretivo.

2. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    I read some of what Pedro Madeira Rodrigues said and he was quite calm and level-headed - however he also didn't say much of substance either. He doesn't seem to know a lot about football, but then again that's what a director of football is for (which we currently don't have) - the president is there to oversee the entire club's operations and should really only be giving the final green-light to any transfers.

We'll probably know more once he announces his staff and his plan.

About BdC's "reflection period" I don't see him going quitting. Unless there's a candidate that has a lot of support, BdC will run and likely win another term.

3. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    He needs to reflect on getting more bang for the bucks spent on players coming in.

4. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
  5. natenate101

natenate101 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 16, 2006
    California, US
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This could be interesting. While BdC has done a great job of rejuvenating the club and repairing a lot of the broken processes, the results this year have been disappointing and there is still room for improvement.

6. Inkie

Inkie Member

May 17, 2013
    Paio Pires
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    There's a rumour going on for a few months that has letely intensified that João Benedito, a Sporting futsal legend, could be BdC's main opponent for the elections. If he runs, I'll be interested to see his approach, hope he doesn't get sucked in by the opposition who nearly led this club to ruins.

7. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    Can you make a mock election poll as part of this thread's title ?
    It would allow the BigSoccer SCP posters to elect our next president.

8. natenate101

natenate101 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 16, 2006
    California, US
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When the candidate field is official I can. Remind me then and I'll add it.

vilafria repped this.
  9. SCP21

SCP21 Member+

Jul 1, 2011
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    I hope we get some real competition here. Someone who doesn't fire a very good manager just to try (and fail) to embarrass benfica by taking their average manager and making him one of the highest paid in the world. Someone who only concerns himself with Sporting and not with what benfica is doing. Someone who hires a sporting director that knows what theyre doing so we don't have to offload 20 players a year. Someone who cares about the youth system and cares about making it the best in Portugal again.

We need a president, not a fanatic.

10. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    #10 fdasilva, Jan 5, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
    Bruno cut costs, got rid of a lot of the useless players from Godinho era, got a couple of good managers relatively cheap and concentrated on the young players for the first two seasons. That policy was getting us results; we were forgetting the 7th place finish, we were in a Champions League spot and coupled with Porto's dip in form, things were looking up.

However he had made a promise that we would win the league title during his mandate - that's a big promise to a fanbase that has been waiting for 15 years which he needed to deliver on. All we got by the second year was a Portugal Cup. Therefore he went all-in and went for JJ - with this the plan drastically changed. Yes the first season in charge we were unlucky not to win the league and we were playing some great football.

However this season we had a horrible transfer window which clearly hurt us. We lost Slimani (opposition defense always had a hard time marking him) and Joao Mario (the brain). The players we have try to create a lot but the only ones that actually try and shoot are Bas Dost, Bruno Cesar (who has a good mid-range shot) and Adrien (misses more than hits the net). Everyone else tries to work the ball in (including Gelson, who has been fantastic but definitely tries too hard when he should play a more simple pass) so it's easy for the opposition to defend against us.

He'll probably win because the opposition (Pedro Madeira) doesn't look very convincing at all and Bruno has a lot of support from notable figures. But he really needs to make a promise to get a Director of Football in and a proper Youth Director, and JJ (or whoever the manager is) should strictly concentrate on tactics and training.

OndaVerde and vilafria repped this.
  11. SCP21

SCP21 Member+

Jul 1, 2011
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    I think he could benefit from being a lot more humble and not treating the fans like idiots.

He will probably win, but the next mandate needs to have a drastic overhaul. And most importantly he needs to get off social media and stop talking about benfica.

12. Inkie

Inkie Member

May 17, 2013
    Paio Pires
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
  13. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Why? This guys will get like 1% of the votes again. We're the only club that has multiple candidates and it always becomes a circus.

14. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
  15. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    I agree that changes need to be made, especially in our country its all anyone talks about instead of football.

I would also add that referees should accomplish a certain number of games/experience before being promoted as an "international" ref.

16. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    So officially there are two candidates for the Conselho Diretivo - Bruno De Carvalho (running for re-election) and Pedro Madeira Rodrigues.

There is also an independent candidacy for the Conselho Leonino.

Elections will be March 4th - who do you think will win?

17. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    Bruno has my vote.

18. AlexJones19

AlexJones19 Member

Aug 2, 2015
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Bruno. He's very passionate and although that leads him to make poor decisions at times I believe he will be the one to oversee our next league title

19. ---Z---

---Z--- Member+

Cagalhao
    Nov 2, 2005
    CAMPEAO
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Madeira Rodrigues, actually he has a platform and will assign people to roles they have expertise for (i.e. football director, etc) and not try to micromanage everything.

20. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    He has had some interesting proposals such as re-modelling the stadium to get rid of the "moat" and re-paint the chairs all green, and he just announced that Laszlo Boloni (the last SCP coach to win the league title) will take over from JJ as interim coach until the end of the season, then take over as director of football (all age levels) starting next season. I must admit I'd love to see him at our club again, as he knows the value of the academy and was the coach that gave Hugo Viana, Quaresma and CR7 a chance in the first team.

I still think BdC will win though, based on popular vote. But even if BdC wins I hope he considers Boloni as director of football.

21. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
  22. Sumol

Sumol Member+

Portugal
    Oct 12, 2011
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I'm scared of that guy.

As a Benfiquista, i can only hope BDC wins.

A win for BDC is a win for Benfica.

23. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    If bullshit was worth money , you'd be the richest guy alive.

24. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
  25. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005