2017 Pre-season

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by NFLPatriot, Dec 20, 2016.

1. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To that point, the saying "hope is not a strategy" comes to mind.

TOAzer repped this.
  2. Revs in 2010

Revs in 2010 Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Roanoke, VA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think this is true of fans in general (maybe even human beings in general, but let's not wax too philosophic:)). Fan, after all, has the same root as fanatic.

TOAzer repped this.
  3. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it's applicable to certain sets of fans though. As fickle as sox fans are, I don't know any that read much into preseason standings or any specific spring training win/loss as a predictor on how the team will finish up their campaign. Same is true with other Boston teams. I went to a pats preseason game where they lost 31 to 0 to the giants. Given the starters played only a quarter, no one was screaming for Belichick's head because ...preseason. I think cautious optimism should apply here after a 6-2 preseason win. Yes, the scoreline looks good and makes you feel warm and fuzzy but ultimately it doesn't matter beyond getting a sense of how the new guys look.

4. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Both goals given up, even though brilliant strikes, were preventable. And both were the result of midfielders being lackadaisical in closing down space.

Bunbury was the culprit on the first, seeming to discourage the notion that he'd come back this season with a new attitude and renewed fire. It was eerily reminiscent of last season when he put very little effort into defending.

And the same thing was repeated on the 2nd KC goal. Not sure, but I think it was Diego giving up way too much room in goal-scoring range.
    Fortunately there are plenty of people around to drag them back down to earth. ;)

Seriously, every team probably has some true believers who think all the pieces are ready to fall into place.

5. Minutemanii

Minutemanii Member+

Dec 29, 2005
    Abington MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #155 Minutemanii, Feb 23, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2017
    Ok, I just returned from Tucson, and I have to say I came away with guarded optimism for this seaon. I think though that the season might hinge on us solving our defensive midfield position and also I'm hoping the new defensive back-line jells quickly. Right now, my biggest concern is Kouassi's game fitness. It was nice to see him on the field but he looked a but fragile. I can see, however that if he gains full fitness and ability, he'll be the talisman. If not then I feel we'll struggle with no real Jones or Koffielike central talisman.

Some things I saw though, that I was really encouraged by, here, in no particular order:

Cody Cropper is the real deal

Knighton also looked sharp

I really liked what I saw from Delamea. His open field tackles are textbook. Hopefully he can pull this skill off in real MLS action. (If these are done wrong it could be red cards.) Delamea is really calm with the ball as he dribbles it out of danger (European pedigree).

Brian Write could hold promise for the future

Donnie Smith is coming along and could be our on field enforcer at some point

Great to see Femi in the mix

Haven't seen enough of Angoua

Juan looks like he could have a breakout year when partnered with a fully acclimated Kamara

I saw the team get off the bus last Saturday for the game vs Colorado and they all had intense game face. None of them said a word as they headed in. It's almost like they appeared to have a real mission. I observed the other teams and they seemed different. Much more relaxed, with lower keyed training sessions. The Rev's seem to have much more intense training sessions than that I saw of Houston, KC and Seattle.

Some negative takaways:
    Woodberry is still shite
    Lee still dives too easily and looks for calls instead of following the play

NFLPatriot, swedust, TOAzer and 5 others repped this.
  6. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tradition Continues in Desert Diamond Cup Finale
    February 22, 2017
    fctucson.com

COL vs HOU for the DDC championship.

7. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bunbury should have been traded - he doesn't defend and apparently only the fans can see it

Jon Martin repped this.
  8. BrianLBI

BrianLBI BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 7, 2002
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fixture congestion for RBNY! :rolleyes:

9. Steve_R

Steve_R Member

Feb 25, 2001
    Somerville, MA
    Thanks for posting this, really nice to get some first hand perspective.

Remember when Woodberry was new to us, playing RB and lighting it up with his crosses into box? Seems like that was forever ago. I worried it was too good to be true and it seems like it was unless he is just in some serious dip of form (over 1+ seasons?)

Minutemanii repped this.
  10. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is like having a solid informer....without having to pay for him...:)

11. Minutemanii

Minutemanii Member+

Dec 29, 2005
    Abington MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ha ha. Thanks guys. Also thanks for not flaming me. I'm certainly no expert but just someone who very much wants to share what I thought I saw.

Jon Martin, IRguy, TOAzer and 1 other person repped this.
  12. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't say that too loud. This is the kind of information the Revs use to scout. ;)

TOAzer and Minutemanii repped this.
  13. abecedarian

abecedarian Member+

Mar 25, 2009
    SSSomerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And preseason is done. New England prevails over an RBNY team that fielded literally not a single player I'd ever heard of. Maybe that's what depth looks like.

14. VTSoccerFan

VTSoccerFan Member+

New England Revolution, Vermont Catamounts, NCFC
    United States
    Jun 28, 2002
    Cary, NC
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. VTSoccerFan

VTSoccerFan Member+

New England Revolution, Vermont Catamounts, NCFC
    United States
    Jun 28, 2002
    Cary, NC
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. Cannons

Cannons Member+

May 16, 2005
    Im not familiar with the Bulls roster or who their starters are but I thought we looked good for the vast majority of the time. Our two goals were bot good ones and we should have had a third if Kamara had laid it off to Juan instead of taking a selfish, bad angle shot. Juan looked disgusted at that as he should have

As far as depth, I read on some internet MLS site (cant find on internet to quote) that our fearless leader, Burns. is "in no hurry to fill the 6 open spots on the teams 28 -man roster. Given the players we already have, he believes waiting might be the better choice." So the bottom line here is that we pay him to do nothing? Amazing. We wait EVERY year for something to happen and in the end, nothing happens. And you're right, we have zero depth. I did hear on the Fox Sports stream that his son was on the roster last night though. I wonder if I could get my son on the roster too?

17. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If he has the same potential as Bob Bradleys son did I'll take him :)

18. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    [
    Hopefully Burns' son won't have to take the unwarranted abuse that Bradley did because of who his father is.

19. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That "If" is as likely as the Revs paying out Toronto money for Bob Bradley's son. That "If" is as likely as Jurgen's son leading the USA to the world cup. That "If" is as likely as Beckham's son leading Man U to the CL trophy..... ;)

20. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mike Burns is too low profile, not enough people care. Probably just snark here but I doubt nationally

21. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    John Harkes' sone plays for DC United. No idea if he's any good or if he gets any flack from their fanbase. No one has beef with this sort of thing if the guy proves that he deserves to be there. Bradley gets a lot of flack for a variety of reasons, but no one beleves that he is not a competent pro. If his father opened the doors for him, so be it, but he was more than able to walk through that door.

Many years ago, the Red Sox had a backup catcher named Marc Sullivan. He wa a border-line major leaguer and never could quite cut it at the major league level. After leaving the Sox, he caught on with a couple of other teams with similar results before calling it a day. The thing was, Marc's father was Haywood Sullivan, one of the Red Sox owners. Maybe he got a break because of this, and maybe the Astros and Cardinals decided to give him another shot as a favor to his dad, I don't know. But at least he was a competent player where similar border-line guys have been given the same shot.

22. a517dogg

a517dogg Member+

Oct 30, 2005
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Ian Harkes is believed to be in competition for a starting spot over Rob Vincent as their #8, as a rookie. He had European options and won the Hermann trophy as the NCAA's best player.

RevsLiverpool repped this.
  23. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK, so he's a legit player, as any guy with that kind of background would be deserving of a shot on his own merits. In other words, he's not Tony Farias III.