2017 Pre-season

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by NFLPatriot, Dec 20, 2016.

1. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
    Been saying this for awhile - definitely worried
    So drop Agudelo? I don't see it. Heaps is going to have a real selection choice for the front 6 - this will see how well he can manage the egos and motivate the players. It's easy to say this will create depth - but Heaps has got to demonstrate that he knows how to handle this situation. Up to know, it has clearly been starters and some reserves.

FYP ;)

Just want to fix some of Doyle's comments:

1. There is no comfortable way to get all 7 of Kouassi, Fagundez, Caldwell, Rowe, Nguyen, Juan Agudelo and Kei Kamara onto the field in a front 6.
    2. If Koussai healthy, Heaps will have to decide how he plans to use a player like Caldwell. Caldwell is not the end all to be all, per Doyle, about "shipping goals" if he does not play and Koussai does
    3. There is no justification for keeping Agudelo off of it given how well he played last year once Heaps FINALLY used him in the best position for Agudelo.
    4. There is no justification for keeping Kamara off of since he is a big time DP, and those should be studs that start because they always produce

BrianLBI repped this.
  2. abecedarian

abecedarian Member+

Mar 25, 2009
    SSSomerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would actually rate Fagundez as the odd man out in that scenario. Nguyen? I just can't see Heaps doing that.

3. VTSoccerFan

VTSoccerFan Member+

New England Revolution, Vermont Catamounts, NCFC
    United States
    Jun 28, 2002
    Cary, NC
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    dncm repped this.
  4. VTSoccerFan

VTSoccerFan Member+

New England Revolution, Vermont Catamounts, NCFC
    United States
    Jun 28, 2002
    Cary, NC
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    832273470448869377 is not a valid tweet id

5. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    couple new faces in camp that played last night
    Trevor Haberkorn U20 Nat from Cal Berkley, Jaime Olabarria Grand Canyon U, Joe Brito Revs Academy, Jose Rodriguez possibly a local JUCO player from South Mountain or former Dynamo Jose Memo Rogdriguesz. Still not the type of Trialist, if you want to call them that, that I would like to see in camp challenging for a spot on the team. These types of players do not push for starting positions

dncm and BrianLBI repped this.
  6. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
    From the MLS New Thread:

Not sure how much you can take from just 17 minutes played - Heaps trying to sound positive. Goes to show you how far away he really is. That is one hell of an injury and recovery....

7. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    A lot of posters on this board have been talking about how much easier it is to come back from ACL tears nowadays (which is true to a certain extent looking at NFL RBs, European soccer players, etc.). Why is he still so far away from being fit?

VTSoccerFan and dncm repped this.
  8. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Strange that the Revs are wearing grey T-shirts without numbers and the Dynamo are actually wearing normal game jerseys.

9. Steve_R

Steve_R Member

Feb 25, 2001
    Somerville, MA
    I've got to imagine he had a setback sometime after he started agility work in October 2016? At the time this article was written he was close to 8 months into recovery. If he progressed enough to start agility work you would think getting back to practicing with the full team wouldn't be so far off. At least not 4 months off.

http://www.revolutionsoccer.net/pos...ng-right-schedule-he-settles-life-new-england

"Kouassi is almost eight months into his recovery and has been steadily increasing his workload, progressing to agility work and sharp cuts in recent weeks."

dncm and VTSoccerFan repped this.
  10. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    they were in stealth mode....

11. teskicks

teskicks Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Jan 14, 2002
    Wrentham, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I may be wrong but I don't think this is his first ACL repair. That can make it tougher to come back from.

dncm repped this.
  12. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
    Also, saw this today too regarding Koussai

http://nesoccertoday.com/?p=44105

some snips that stood out to me

At the start of camp, the Ivory Coast international trained with a shiny blue knee brace, a sure fire sign he wasn’t quite ready to see the pitch.

...something that will be crucial to the club’s success in 2017. After all, the Revolution didn’t dole out designated player money just to build midfield depth.

Time will tell what kind impact Kouassi will have this season. Many professional athletes who’ve suffered ACL tears say it isn’t until 18-24 months have passed that they feel back to normal. The fact Kouassi will have to train and play on the artificial turf at Gillette Stadium probably won’t shorten the recovery process.

If Heaps harbors that concern, he didn’t express it following Wednesday’s match.

13. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
    Conspiracy theory - Nick Downing, who seemed popular with the players, was "released" after the season, right? He is the strength and conditioning coach, right? He mis-plan with Koussai??

NFLPatriot repped this.
  14. BERich

BERich Member+

Feb 3, 2012
    New England
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It costs money to put names and numbers on trialist jerseys! :D

Feldspar repped this.
  15. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    I think the first time out, they just wanted to play him long enough to get him winded. Game action is a lot different from drills/practice scrimmages. And, the next time out he should have more confidence in the knee, so he can focus more on just playing. Baby steps, people. There's time to build up his game fitness.
    It was just a scrimmage - it doesn't even count as a DDC game.

Unfortunately the hack who took Zachy down didn't get the memo. :mad:

16. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Member+

Apr 25, 2000
    SE Mass
    It's not about dropping Agudelo. I like the idea that the Revs could put out different 11's in different situations. Tactics and injuries will make different combinations useful, and I can easily imagine a situation that would call for both Scotty and Kouassi on the field.

dncm repped this.
  17. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
    Yea, great point. I might have misinterpreted your original post. But I still stand that Heaps has got to prove he can manage this situation and continue to motivate and justify his selections when everyone is healthy and available (if that ever happens). Course that means we are still pretty thin from a quality/experience perspective.

Lee has been given the captain's armband, right? I thought I read that somewhere.

18. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
    #118 dncm, Feb 18, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2017
    Revs lose 1-3 to Colorado.

Massive wind and Revs start with it in their favor.

Agudelo scores first in a scramble off a Tierney corner kick.

But then the Revs give up 2 goal in the last 4 minutes of the 1st half due to poor defensive miscues. Colorado with wind at their backs in 2nd half score another.

It's one game, but this was meant as a competitive match. Some similar problems persist.

Tierney - great going forward, really struggles to defend especially in the box. This has nothing to do with his lack of pace. Allows players too much time and poor 1v1 in our defensive 3rd - leads to allowing Colorado's first goal to let the crosses keep raining in from his side - when Colorado was against the wind.

Farrell - Heaps has really messed with him. I am feeling less and less like Farrell is improving. Ball watching instead of defending contributing to first goal, and slow speed of play/decision making/body shape leads to him putting Knighton under a ton of pressure when Revs are against the wind - this leads to the 3rd goal.

Caldwell - I am going to take the unpopular position which I expressed last year too. Caldwell is not Jones clearly - but was a super partner to Jones. He might make a super partner to Koussai if he is as advertised. But Heaps is not playing with double 6 - he wants to play 4-4-2. Caldwell has been playing a #6 for the most part - but I have always questioned is he dominant enough, can he boss enough to do it alone. I am not convinced. But if then Koussai is our dominant Jones replacement DP #6 - where does that leave Caldwell. If we partner him with Koussai - what does that mean for other attacking players?

So I am going to wait till the real season begins - but I am going to watch very carefully what Heaps thinks of Caldwell and where he tries to use him. I don't think this is on Caldwell - this is on Heaps in my opinion.

And I still see no Leader out there.

New England Revolution lineup (4-4-2): Knighton (Cropper, 61); Tierney, Woodberry, Delamea, Farrell; Fagundez, Caldwell, Agudelo, Rowe; Nguyen, Kamara

Colorado Rapids lineup (4-3-3): MacMath; Miller (Castillo, 61), Ford (Watts, 61), Sjoberg (Burling, 61), Williams (Burch, 61); Azira (Hamilton, 61), Cronin (Nana, 61), Powers (Perez, 61); Callahan (Gashi, 61), Badji (Hairston, 61), Calvert (Doyle, 61)

19. Cannons

Cannons Member+

May 16, 2005
    Not at all surprised. We can beat the average teams but wont be able to compete against the upper tier teams. We have once again not done enough to improve ourselves while most teams around us have

TOAzer repped this.
  20. RevsRule

RevsRule Member+

NE Revs, LAFC
    Jun 9, 1999
    N. Eastern, Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well havent seen them yet but 5 goals given vs 1 scored in the last two games is not a winning formula in my book no matter how you spin it.

Maybe the learning experience Heaps talks about is learning how to pick the ball out of the net?

21. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i honestly think Burns and Co. feel the Revs players are better than what they actually are. I honestly believe they lack the ability to judge talent

pwykes repped this.
  22. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
    MLS updated the lineup with subs for Revs

New England Revolution lineup (4-4-2, left to right): Knighton (Cropper, 61) -- Tierney (D. Smith, 71), Woodberry (Scott, 71), Delamea (J. Smith, 69), Farrell (Turner, 71) -- Fagundez (Bowen, 71), Caldwell (Appiah, 71), Agudelo (Matsoso, 71), Rowe (Brito, 71) -- Nguyen (Wright, 71), Kamara (Kobayashi, 46)

23. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Member+

Apr 25, 2000
    SE Mass
    Of course I identify with the anxiety expressed above, but preseason games mean absolutely zero. If we had won all those games, this board would be saying exactly that.

dncm repped this.
  24. REV IT UP

REV IT UP Member

New England Revolution
    United States
    Jul 12, 2004
    San Francisco
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kouassi didn't play at all. This guy came in busted, and is going to be a bust. Can we get a refund?

25. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is it too soon to start investing in a paper bag franchise for Patriot Place?