2017 Pre-Season Matches

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by kernel_thai, Jan 17, 2017.

1. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
  2. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    A lot of snow has fallen overnight in the Chicago area and still falling. I'm keeping my eye on the scheduled pre-season game on Thursday between Univ. of Wisconsin and the Red Stars. I'm hoping the snow will stop falling and they can clear whatever fell on the field in Madison. I planned to go so keeping my fingers crossed.

3. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's been cancelled.

4. babranski

babranski Member+

Dec 15, 2012
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Does anyone know if the games in the tournament in Portland between the three NWSL teams and U-23 team will be on some kind of live feed?

7. LucyFearsTheMorningStar

Sep 27, 2015
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    I've heard Portland home games will be but I'd heard that no games would be initially so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

8. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    I see BJ Snow is coaching the U23s. Also saw Ellis is bringing in her players March 30 so u might see NT players for the first match of the Portland tourney tho most likely it's just the Portland players.

9. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As one who can only watch from afar and monitor the internet, I would describe the feel of pre-season this year as “Rich and Savory.”
    • No coaching changes over the off season.
    • Lots of returnees for all teams
    • True team/club identities are gelling.
    • The prospect of weekly TV coverage is exhilarating.
    • The optimism everywhere is blood-related to the venerable traditions of Spring Training in professional baseball.
    • This year's draft class players are entering the same league that existed when they first went to college, as others have noted.
    • Personnel choices and style of game play implemented by coaching staffs are not affected by Olympic Games or World Cup.
    • The “new” U23s are playing in the Portland Preseason Invitational.
    • There is an established team in a new city (and league has one more grass field to play on).
    • The fan base is expanding its horizons and paying closer attention to the game and growth of the game in Europe: 10,642 spectators at a women’s game in Madrid, Spain today.
    • Even with the carry-over of rosters and coaches, each team has its own new story to create.

10. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    FYI, I hate the new forum redesign, ugh

Airox repped this.
  11. holden

holden Member+

Dundee FC, Yeovil Town LFC, Girondins de Bordeaux
    Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    the new design really makes me wish the admins had just gotten rid of all the subforms... (so i wouldn't have to try to remember the last time i looked in order to know if there are any new posts)

Blaze20 and MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  12. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dash vs. U23s
    U23s up 1-0 74' goal by Savannah McCaskill. Based on twitter, Casey Murphy (Rutgers) is having a tremendous game in goal.
    I hope someone who posts here is watching the game!

13. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    89' 1-1 Brooks 40m pass to Bruna
    90+4' (of +4'?) 2-1 Ochs ck, to Brooks at near post
    FT 2-1 :p so close and yet so far

CoachJon repped this.
  14. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Red Stars vs. Portland game in live feed. Yes!

15. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I'm also annoyed that the "location bar" now only exists at the top of each page instead of at the top and bottom... I don't like having to scroll back up to the top of the page after reading the most recent posts in a thread.

Blaze20, babranski and lil_one repped this.
  16. Smallchief

Smallchief Member+

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Allie Long was (inarguably, I think) the best player on the field in the Portland/Chicago match.
    Great range...all the way from one goal to the other -- even though she is not considered to be speedy of foot.

Listen up, Jill! Long is a midfielder -- maybe your starting 6. She's the best passer in the NWSL. Henri's not too bad either -- but Long was better in this game.

I thought Franch had a good game as GK. About 3 years ago I thought she should be the heir apparent to Solo -- but, she's had injuries, etc. since then. Maybe she's back in form now.

I wish the announcers had identified more of the players, especially the Chicago players -- many of whom were new to me.

17. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    A Portland fan had at least the second half on periscope which I cleverly noticed after the match was over.

18. LucyFearsTheMorningStar

Sep 27, 2015
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    I saw a link posted on Twitter but it was behind a goal so I didn't bother watching

19. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Yeah, thought Henry and Long were the class of the match...great work rate from Long...Henry seems to magically be in the right place all the time...effortlessly. STILL, Long drives be crazy with these cute passes across her own goal mouth that defensive players learn not to make in Defender 101. On the other side if I were Parsons Id be disappointed. The Chicago offense went to a wedding and Dames pulled his two top midfielders at the half and the Red Stars were still one break away from getting out with a draw.

SiberianThunderT repped this.
  20. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

If she doesn't develop a goal kick she will be a liability all season. I think her longest kick was 30 yards.

21. babranski

babranski Member+

Dec 15, 2012
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Same! I've resorted to clicking on the page numbers at the bottom, let the page reload to the top, then clicking on the location bar. Seems ultra lazy, but it's my habit now.

22. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ctrl-Home jumps to the top of any page (and Ctrl-End to the bottom).
    Using the right Ctrl button, it's a one-hand chord.
    Still kind of annoying, tho -- workflow changes are intrusive by definition :devilish:

23. holden

holden Member+

Dundee FC, Yeovil Town LFC, Girondins de Bordeaux
    Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    You can also click on the annoying green up and down arrows on the lower right to scroll to top/bottom (I really don't know why the down one exists... why would anyone ever use it?)

24. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    To get to the bottom of the page.

25. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But ... why did the chicken click the green arrow?

lil_one and sitruc repped this.