2017 postseason thread [R]

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by kokoplus10, Oct 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheAnswer1313

TheAnswer1313 Member+

Dec 12, 2007
    Charleston, WV
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Come on guys. 2 goals

2. TheAnswer1313

TheAnswer1313 Member+

Dec 12, 2007
    Charleston, WV
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  3. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh that was the chance. Come on Brad!!

4. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not yet. But maybe soon. :D

Crazy feisty match this! Wish it could go on more than 90. Hmm, maybe it will.

5. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good or bad, this ref has shown as much restraint as any I can recall. Including 2 TFC players in his face, putting their hands on him.

6. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Toronto advanced on away goals. There were only 11 shots and 3 shots on goal for the teams combined, with the Red Bulls having 1 more of each.

7. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, what a fight. Full time. And based on what happened after HT, it just might not be over yet.

But we put in a good shift.

I agree w/ Ale Moreno that 1 miss by BWP was the difference for us. And BWP from 2015 would've probably buried it.

Oh well, at least we tried this time.

8. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana

That is bullshit. A card should be a card regardless of situation. Giovinco and Vazquez should be off the field. Short of ********ing this ref's wife, he had decided he was not gonna be a factor in this game and in doing so he was.

9. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Disgraceful. Need 2 goals and you move the ball slower than molasses all night. Captain gets himself sent off for petulance. BWP misses another chance in the playoffs.

Blow the whole thing up.

Deadtigers repped this.
  10. iced1776

iced1776 Member+

Dec 4, 2009
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    I gotta say its almost impressive how bitter you've become towards this team lol

11. Night shift

Night shift Member

NY Redbulls
    United States
    Mar 23, 2015
    sec 201
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Being a fan since 96, didn’t really think we’d make it through. Offense just gets stuck in mud in the final third. Not sure if we need a player that can break down a defense or our system doesn’t allow for that guy but we need something there.

12. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The short reply is...yes?

I’m done. Done with ignoring the defense. Done with failing tactics. Done with big players not playing big in big games.

Deadtigers repped this.
  13. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It’s a lot of things.

Our system prizes possession over creating good chances. Our system requires an intense press, but the guy that the whole thing hinges around can’t even run. And if the system breaks down we don’t have an organized defense to shut things down because the back line has been a revolving door.

14. iced1776

iced1776 Member+

Dec 4, 2009
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    For my money, there are three truths at work here:

1) MLS has too much parity for any team to have the skill to break through a parked bus defense.

2) Teams that gain an early lead are more likely to park the bus.

3) Red Bulls have given away the first goal of every conference semi-final for three years straight.

This team excels when they win the ball back and strike before the other team gets settled. By giving up those early goals we also give up the only attacking game plan that works with our roster. Our opponents can just sit back and let their CB's clear out ball after ball.

Marsch has been squeezing every last bit of production out of the meager wages spent, if Red bull is serious about being an elite MLS team I don't see how it happens without spending a little bit more on the top of our roster. Guys like Kljestan and Veron should be TAM players, not Designated Players.

Woodrow and nowherenova repped this.
  15. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I actually thought our back line was good tonite, and in the last few games. In particular Long has been a consistent rock. And Lawrence was perhaps MOTM for our team.

16. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Isn’t it ironic? Dontcha think?

17. iced1776

iced1776 Member+

Dec 4, 2009
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    We're lucky Long is a late bloomer at CB because if he put in this kind of season at the age of 20 he'd be off to Europe before we knew what happened. But with his career path as it's played out, he's the exact kind of "MLS for life" player that we need to hold on to. We may see a lot happen this winter but other than a raise for Adams, holding on to Long is the biggest no-brainer on the roster.

NorthBank repped this.
  18. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Don't talk like that you know they will do something stupid. I am so sick of supporting this team and just watching them implode in the playoffs.

Time to blow it up. Sell BWP and Sascha, let Veron go. Build around the young core. Promote some RB2 talent and draft the top college striker out there.

19. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You know I'm usually not that kind of guy, but in this case I'm with you. I don't see the point of keeping those 3 that you mention. And I would question the manager frankly at this point. He's good, but he doesn't seem to be able to get us to the next level. Also, I absolutely love Robles, but how long can we count on him continuing to be an ironman. And is Meara the best understudy??

20. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    I love BWP but he is on the down side age wise so get some cash and picks now, same for Sasha. We did it with Dax and we can do it with those 2. Vernon is Sergio Galvan Ray Mk2 (I hope you guys remember him!). A lot of promise but very little delivery. I am fine with Marsh leaving too because I want a guy more flexible and more emotional. Hire a good man management guy and make the tactics guy his assistant. Who is the top US college coach? Sign him.

I love Robles but if we are to remain ruthless then we sell him and promote Meara. Robles will slide sometime so promote Meara and see if we can get a old vet like Rimando to be back-up.

21. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    There's no college striker who scored as many goals as Brad's 17, who had an off year. CJ Sapong game the closest with 16, but he had a career year, and in his previous six seasons had never even hit double digits. And that's pretty typical of all the so-called top college strikers. Brandon Allen was one of the best college strikers his senior year and he's largely been a bust. I would look to South America for a 20-24 year old hungry young player with speed and skill, who can come in as an understudy to Brad. Sacha was terrible this year, compared to last year, failing to connect on more passes than I care to count. While Brad may be on the downside of his career, he is certainly capable of scoring 20 + goals next season, but he needs better service.

22. iced1776

iced1776 Member+

Dec 4, 2009
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Draft is only useful for the worst ~5 teams in the league, its a total crapshoot after that. Gotta be nuts to talk about trading BWP for picks...