2017 Penn State

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by MiLLeNNiuM, Dec 8, 2016.

1. olelaliga

olelaliga Member

Aug 31, 2009
    Well thanks but I didn't really take offense, hence the smile. I also didn't mean to imply that I thought Ellis was on her way out (though I think we can agree that she will surrender her post at some undefined time in the future and there will be a successor). I only meant to point out that Dambach had been tossed around as a potential national coach of the future, that she clearly had been involved in the past ynt programs and therefore it seemed reasonable that she be tied into the youth development system to some extent still. It's a pretty small soccer community that have been involved with the ussf to the extent that she has been puts her in a small "club". I absolutely have no direct information that she is discussing players with Snow or French to an extent any greater than any other college coach. I do note a statistical anamoaly (no I didn't do the math) However I didn't write clearly that's my bad. Hope I was better with this attempt.

2. justahick

justahick Member

May 30, 2013
    A couple of points -
    1) Dambach turned down the job (or perhaps withdrew her name as one of the finalists) when Pia stepped down.
    2) I don't think last year's NCAA title had very much impact on the PSU girls getting on the U20 roster. They had all been actively attending more than their fair share of the pipeline camps and tournaments for several years before the event. Their expected unavailability for this season (or at least the NCAA tournament) was know among the other girls on the team before the beginning of the 2015 season.

3. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, thank you.

For what it's worth, I love coach Dambach.
    I think she's great for Penn State.
    She's a great recruiter, and in college athletics that's half the battle.

Having said that, I think there are better candidates to coach the full WNT.
    I've been advocating for Vlatko Andonovski from FCKC.
    I think he would do a really good job.

So, what's your final critique of Ogle after watching the remainder of that Rutgers match?
    Don't worry, I'm not a total homer when it comes to criticism of Penn State players (as long as the team wins). ;)

4. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Regarding the number of U20 WNT players at Penn State, I doubt it's a matter of Dambach having excess influence over who's on the roster. Rather, I suspect it's more a matter of her past involvement with the youth NT program and, due to that, her advantages at recruiting players in line for YNT roster positions. You'll never find direct evidence of that unless you know a player really well as a personal friend outside of soccer. (I have a family friend who was in the YNT pool when Jill Ellis was at UCLA, and when she was being recruited she talked to me about the attraction of UCLA because of how much she had liked Jill as a YNT coach.) But, in terms of college coaches involved with the YNTs in the past, there's lots of circumstantial evidence. Just look at who the college coaches involved with the YNTs have been over time and where the young YNT players ended up going. In a highly competitive college recruiting environment, being involved in coaching the YNT players is a huge advantage.

MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  5. D1bound

D1bound Member

Feb 7, 2015
    Bingo, we have a winner right here!

6. Kazoo

Kazoo Member

Nov 1, 2015
    So, what's your final critique of Ogle after watching the remainder of that Rutgers match?
    Don't worry, I'm not a total homer when it comes to criticism of Penn State players (as long as the team wins)

I assume Ogle has played well for Pa. State, but I didn't think she was very good for the U20 team. Was fairly invisible and not very influential in any of the games, in my opinion. Cousins did some good work at times, but otherwise the midfield play was weak.

7. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays everyone!! I will be taking a break for a while.

It was a lot of fun. I enjoyed reading everyone's comments, insight, and witty remarks.

Have a Blessed New Year!

8. walscd

walscd New Member

Sep 13, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    Whit Church played central defender for 4 years at Penn State. She never played a minute elsewhere. During their College Cup 2012 season, she was the lone central defender because of a rash of injuries in the backfield. She continues to excel in that position professionally

9. olelaliga

olelaliga Member

Aug 31, 2009
    Ok finally had a chance to watch the second half. Ogle was slightly better, but she isn't what I like to see in a#6. May simply be personal preference, but I like a ball winning blue collar -sacrifice all -for the team -bloody at times- areal dominant player in my dmid spot. My opinion remains pretty much the same as when I watched her in person last year.
    When unpressured she can fairly efficiently switch the point and/or maintain possession with a simple backpass. But I would expect the same competence in a u16 player. She understands her limitations and plays the ball with relatively few touches. However she had several key give aways. Two within a minute or so of each other and the announcers declare she has been perfect with her passing until then -What??? She also played a hospital ball to I think Rodriguez in that time period and got a generous foul called for her. She did play 2 relative insightful balls for scoring chances, but again unpressured and they were obvious choices. She does nothing unexpected although in a 6 that is not necessarily bad.

My big issue with her as a 6 is that she doesn't defend well and isn't brave. Even at about 21 minutes she fails to take an opposing punt out of the air adequately without any pressure. In fact she almost never wins a 50-50 as she isn't even challenging. Usually a 6 will be in deep in confrontations. Her failure to properly defend and intercepted pass led to Rutgers 3 best scoring chances in the second half. Not quick enough to be an 8. Not tough and brave enough for a 6.

So my overall: adequate in seeing the obvious passes and technical enough to play it to a teammate when unpressured. Nothing special. Weakness is in ball winning/tackling/ and distribution when under pressure (the last from u20 observations since she was rarely under pressure against rutgers)....Meh...don't see the player the hype suggests is there.

10. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #35 MiLLeNNiuM, Dec 20, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2016
    As much as it pains me, I don't think Ogle will be very good at the next level.
    Unfortunately, her skill level was sub-par at the U-20 WWC, which was a real eye opener.
    Ogle probably looked the worst of the PSU girls, along with Jean.
    On the other had, a pleasant surprise was watching Elliston outperform all expectations.
    She was the last of the PSU girls to be chosen for the USA.

11. Bryan Bailey

Bryan Bailey Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    There is no doubt that Elliston is a very good athlete. She runs very fast, she jumps high, she is a very good 1v1 defender, she is aggressive and tenacious. However, I would love to see the US select outside backs that can get into the attack, be creative, and be an offensive threat, as you see in more modern football systems. Her college statistics are as follows: 3260 minutes played, 0 goals, 3 assists.

Maybe she been more of an offensive threat in getting into the attack with the YNT? I couldnt' tell you. I didn't watch the U20 WC.

I believe that the future outside backs for the full WNT will be converted forwards like Kelly O'Hara.

12. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know the future of the full WNT roster, and frankly none of the PSU girls may ever make it.
    However, I am happy with how this Penn State squad is stacked up for 2017.
    I think they can make a legit run to the final four.

Regarding future YNT players, I think a brand of possession-oriented soccer needs to be instilled into the USSF. That begins at the scouting level. Finding young kids who have technical abilities and can play comfortably with the ball at their feet.

13. Bryan Bailey

Bryan Bailey Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Agree on all!

14. Kazoo

Kazoo Member

Nov 1, 2015
    Agree about Elliston. Overall I thought she was one of the more consistent and impressive performers on the u20 team. I don't recall her getting into the attack much, but then the USA spent most of the tourney defending, and she did that very well.

15. WWC_Movement

WWC_Movement Red Card

Dec 10, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Papua New Guinea
    You do now.

2021 Roster: (Post Alex Morgan retirement)

F - Ashley Sanchez, Savannah Jordan, Ashley Hatch, Shea Groom, Frankie Tagliaferri, Bridgette Andrzejewski
    MF - Mallory Pugh, Crystal Dunn, Indi Cowie (welcome back), Morgan Brian, Mandy Laddish, Danielle Colaprico, Morgan Andrews, Rose Lavelle, Andi Sullivan, Sam Mewis
    D - Emily Fox, Ally Courtnall, Christina Gibbons, Arin Gilliland, Iron Woman Sauerbrunn, Julie Johnston, Abby Dahlkemper, Jada Dayne, Emily Menges, Maddie "Mad Girl" Elliston
    GK - Jane Campbell, Devon Kerr, Casey Murphy

16. D1bound

D1bound Member

Feb 7, 2015
    You forgot Lynn Williams at Forward. The 2016 NWSL MVP!

17. olelaliga

olelaliga Member

Aug 31, 2009
    Well, I think there are some other currently relatively unknown teenagers who may make an impact by 2021. I know Carli Llyod's book describes the competitive advantage that YNT kids get in regard to full WNT spots, but hopefully a robust NWSL in 2021 will provide an excellent venue for those who, for whatever reason, were not part of YNT programming. Further, expect more kids going directly to Europe after high school. My kid is checking that option out having already made a connection with a European Professional team. I am hoping the reason that your list is imperfect is a fundamental change in philosophy and a shift to more players (especially midfielders) who are stronger on the ball even when pressured. Brian (my favorite current player actually) is already there in my opinion and hopefully will shine even more as her responsibility in the attack increases. I am not convinced that Rose Lavelle will be able to make an impact at the national level. I thought she was very disappointing this year.

I know there are Jessie Flemming type players out there- I see them. Some have even been on the radar like Emina Ekic (Louisville 2017) and Luca Deza (cal 2017) others less so. Maybe selection preferences will shift and they will rise. Time will tell.

18. WWC_Movement

WWC_Movement Red Card

Dec 10, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Papua New Guinea
    I didn't forget her.
    She'll be around for a little while, but I don't see her here past 2020.
    Not all players were meant to play on the team for a decade.

Sadly, it seems Ohai will also only be around for no more than one WWC/Olympic cycle as well.
    Meanwhile, Sauerbrunn continues to play until her legs fall off.

19. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, and sadly the US Soccer Federation can't identify them.
    Canada only has one-tenth of the USA's population and can still find gems like Flemming?

20. olelaliga

olelaliga Member

Aug 31, 2009
    Sometimes they identify them but can't discriminate the rocks from the gems...

21. dmthomas49

dmthomas49 Member

Portland Thorns
    Oct 29, 2008
    Vancouver, WA
    MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  22. Holmes12

Holmes12 Member

May 15, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    #47 Holmes12, Feb 23, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2017
    Maybe they're holding back for foreign players or emerging non-committed '18 prospects. Given avg attrition rate, I guess 2.5 of these players will make it to sr year.

23. mpr2477

mpr2477 Member

Jun 30, 2016
    Club:
    Vancouver MLS
    Anyone have any idea of the outcome of the Saturday exhibition match vs Syracuse?! Penn st website and twitter don't mention anything

24. SoccerTrustee

SoccerTrustee Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Was a 0-0 tie. Looked like Penn State didn't necessarily have their top lineup out there at once, seemed like they had about 20 players getting even minutes over the course of the scrimmage. Was hard to be sure though as neither team had their jersey numbers on

25. mpr2477

mpr2477 Member

Jun 30, 2016
    Club:
    Vancouver MLS
    Thanks for the info. But seems strange that they'd have this in their schedule as a legit exhibition match, when it sounds like a practice scrimmage