2017 Penn State Nittany Lions Soccer

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by bhoys, Jan 17, 2017.

1. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    So would another mediocre season that sees PSU missing the NCAA Tournament for a third straight year cost Warming his job?

Granted, there is plenty of time to get things in gear and the Nits only have one loss. So it's too early to panic. But they also only have one win and just 3 goals in 4 games. There is little, so far, to suggest this season will be different from the past two.

2. I Hate IU

I Hate IU New Member

Mar 1, 2010
    Who would they look to take over? Is that athletic program really worried about mens soccer?

3. bhoys

bhoys Member+

Aug 21, 2011
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Penn State closed out its difficult regular season with 3 wins in a row. Here is a short clip of some PSU senior day proceedings, and the two pretty nice goals in the final regular season win over the NU Wildcats:

#5 RPI-ranked, undefeated Indiana, in Bloomington, up next ...

WolverineFutbol repped this.
  4. bhoys

bhoys Member+

Aug 21, 2011
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Penn State's Bob Warming retires ... http://www.gopsusports.com/sports/m-soccer/spec-rel/111617aaa.html

Getting to know Bob Warming over the past several years, I learned that his highest complement was to anyone was to say that this person or that person had "helped a lot of people." And I say: back at you, Coach -- you tremendously helped so many, including my son.

[​IMG]

BigRedFootie and OverseasView repped this.
  5. roadrunnerecuador

Jul 17, 2008
    Anyone know the gossip on who will replace him?

6. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    I felt he underachieved at Penn State but there's no doubt he had a hell of a career and college soccer is better off for his long-time involvement in the sport.

Two Final Fours, myriad pro players, a couple of national teamers, including a World Cup player in Brad Davis. And he built Creighton into a national power from scratch.

Thanks for your service to the sport, coach. Best of luck in what comes next.

ThePonchat and fknbuflobo repped this.
  7. bhoys

bhoys Member+

Aug 21, 2011
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    The house that Coach Bob Warming helped build ...

[​IMG]

OverseasView and fknbuflobo repped this.
  8. bhoys

bhoys Member+

Aug 21, 2011
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    fknbuflobo repped this.
  9. bhoys

bhoys Member+

Aug 21, 2011
    Club:
    Celtic FC
  10. bhoys

bhoys Member+

Aug 21, 2011
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Regarding the PSU men's coaching vacancy ...

After watching Penn State's women's team advance last evening by beating WVU -- 3-1 after training 1-0 -- on the Mountaineers' home pitch, to put the Nittany Lions into the Elite 8 for the third time in the last 4 years ...

Not that she would be necessarily be interested, but Penn State might want to consider hiring a head soccer coach who already has proven she has what it takes for the Lions to be big, consistent winners on Jeffrey Field, in the B1G, and beyond ... and they could save some bucks on the relocation costs.

And given Anson Dorrance, vise versa ...

Erica Dambach's bio (before the current 2017 season):

U.S. National Team Experience
    • Assistant coach for the 2008 gold medalist U.S. Women's National Team at the Beijing Olympics
    • Assistant Coach for the 2011 United States Women's National Team at the FIFA (International Federation of Association Football) World Cup in Germany
    • Assisted the 2012 U.S. Women's Olympic squad through the qualifying stage
    • Served as head coach for the U.S. U-17 Women's National Team from 2004-07
    • Assisted the U.S. U-19 Women's National Team in 2004
    • Assistant coach for the U-20 Women's National Team from December 2013-2014
    NCAA Experience
    • Has led Penn State to a 169-55-14 mark through 10 seasons
    • Ten-straight NCAA Tournament appearances
    • Nine Big Ten regular season titles (2007-12, 2014-16)
    • Led the Nittany Lions to the program's first NCAA title in 2015
    • Guided the Nittany Lions to a pair of College Cup and national title match appearances (2012 & 2015)
    • Two Big Ten Tournament Titles (2008 & 2015)
    • 2012 and 2015 NSCAA Coach of the Year
    • 2012 Soccer America National Coach of the Year
    • Three-time Big Ten Coach of the Year (2009, 2012, 2014)
    • One MAC Hermann Trophy winner
    • Two MAC Hermann Trophy finalists and eight semifinalists
    • Eight NSCAA First Team All-Americans who have contributed to 13 NSCAA All-America honors
    • Ten NSCAA Scholar All-America honorees
    • Nine Big Ten Players of the Year
    http://www.gopsusports.com/sports/w-soccer/mtt/walsh_erica00.html

fknbuflobo and OverseasView repped this.
  11. theatric7

theatric7 Member

Nov 12, 2011
    This actually opens up an array of questions I'm curious about. Has there been a woman at the helm of a men's soccer team?

Would there be any incentive for Erica to move to the men's side, i.e higher pay? and if so, wouldn't higher pay go against title IX regulations?

12. stphnsn

stphnsn Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    you think women's basketball coaches are making the same as the men's coach at their schools?

OverseasView and Sandon Mibut repped this.
  13. theatric7

theatric7 Member

Nov 12, 2011
    I forget that title IX is only there for equality in resources for students, not staff.

14. OverseasView

OverseasView Member+

Olympique Lyonnais
    France
    Feb 3, 2013
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    In France Corinne Diacre was, in 2014, the first woman in France to coach a pro men's football team, Clermont Foot in Ligue 2.
    She had pretty respectful results regarding the resources and budget she had to deal with. She is highly respected in France, even by the machos who cannot stand women who get (and deserve) responsibilities in their world, especially football (which is a very conservative world by the way).

This success brought her at the helm of the French National women's team few months ago after disappointing results brought by men coaches. Her wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corinne_Diacre
    She played 121 matches for the national team.

Fun fact: when she took the job at Clermont, she replaced Helena Costa, a Portuguese head coach who lasted only 49 days, as in June 2014, she decided to quit the position, citing: "total amateurism" and a "lack of respect" from the part of the club, with the sporting director having players signed without her consent, and would not reply to her attempts to contact him.
    So Corinne Diacre is effectively the first woman to head-coach a pro men's team during competitive games.

Otherwise, far from our shores in Hong Kong, Chan Yuen-ting is in The Guinness book of records for being the first woman to win a top-flight title in men’s professional football. After the previous coach left, as the only member of the coaching staff with a license from the Asian Football Confederation, Chan was offered the job.
    An interesting article in the Guardian about Chan's story: https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...-ting-female-football-coach-hong-kong-eastern

Otherwise I am not aware of other cases.

bhoys repped this.
  15. bhoys

bhoys Member+

Aug 21, 2011
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    #40 bhoys, Nov 20, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2017
    OverseasView repped this.
  16. jiggaman123

jiggaman123 Member

Jul 2, 2008
    Any news on candidates ?

17. fknbuflobo

fknbuflobo Member+

Arsenal FC
    United States
    Nov 16, 2011
    Akron, Ohio
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone have Dave Brandt's cell number?

catfish9 repped this.
  18. bhoys

bhoys Member+

Aug 21, 2011
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Not sure where this student newspaper reporter, i.e., a student reporter who is assigned to cover mainly Penn State's men's hockey team, came up this list of possible new Penn State head soccer coach hires. The reporter makes no reference that I saw as to where he got the idea that these individuals were in consideration for the job.

Regarding the other 5 names the article mentions, they appear in the very last paragraph, and include just a mention of the names and their current position without any analysis as to why these individuals might be under consideration. Here is that last paragraph from the article:

"Other names Penn State could consider: Maryland assistant coach Brian Rowland, Dartmouth head coach Chad Riley, Butler head coach Paul Snape, Penn State assistant coach/recruiting coordinator Chad Duernberger, Penn State assistant coach Owen Griffith."

I haven't heard a word from anyone who would be in the know about what is underway in regards to the search for a new Penn State coach.

19. catfish9

catfish9 Member+

Jul 14, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    February signing day is coming quickly and while pressure isn;t that big to ink by then, I would think most kids will do so. If I'm a recruit who has other opportunities, I would want to know who coaching staff is going to be.

fknbuflobo repped this.
  20. CaptainD

CaptainD Member

Oct 20, 2014
    interestingly they have a Jan. 6th ID camp listed on their site

21. bhoys

bhoys Member+

Aug 21, 2011
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Article below is about the annual free Penn State soccer clinic to be held this Sunday, 1/7/18. This PSU soccer event is held each year in honor and in memory of Mack Brady, a young goalkeeper and PSU soccer fan who passed away suddenly 5 years ago now -- when he was just 8 years old. Article includes some quotes from departing Penn State head coach Bob Warming. Warming played a key role in establishing this clinic in Mack Brady's honor, as well as the associated memorial Mack Brady Fund for Penn State Soccer and PSU GKs. Seeing this event continue now even in Warming's departure is another fine legacy of Warming's 40 years as a head coach for college soccer programs.

http://www.gopsusports.com/sports/m-soccer/spec-rel/010418aaa.html

[​IMG]

OverseasView repped this.