2017 NWSL Mock Draft (best draft in league history)

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by WWC_Movement, May 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Florida certainly plays a tough non-conference schedule. Back when Hagen was at Milwaukee, so did they. Their non-conference schedules included:

2008: Wisconsin, Ohio State, Marquette, Boston U, Northwestern. Hagen scored 5 goals against the group.

2009: Michigan State, Wisconsin, Michigan, Marquette, Notre Dame, Minnesota, Iowa, Purdue, Illinois. Hagen scored 4 goals.

2010: Ohio State, Notre Dame, Auburn, Michigan State, Marquette, Wisconsin, Kansas, Missouri, Texas. Hagen scored 6 goals.

2011: Michigan State, DePaul, Long Beach State, Iowa State, Minnesota, Marquette, Wisconsin. Hagen scored 9 goals.

Total regular season games against upper level non-conference opponents: 30. Hagen goals scored in those games: 23, roughly .77 goals per game.

2. WWC_Movement

WWC_Movement Red Card

Dec 10, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Papua New Guinea
    Hagen could score in any given match, but the majority of her goals were against Horizon League defenses.
    The majority of Jordan's goals were against SEC defenses.

3. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    How long do the teams holds the right for the players?
    I mean if they sign abroad, their right do not have much value, so they are better off picking other players ?

4. LucyFearsTheMorningStar

Sep 27, 2015
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    Just for the year/season. If there's any throw away picks should be in the 4th round.

Maybe the great swerve is that Buchanan/Lawrence will be joining NWSL after CL and Spirit end up with one of them for the last half the season

5. Myrtle

Myrtle Member

Jan 13, 2015
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I've never seen Kolander play. What type of forward is she? And as for Nichelle Prince i'm trying to figure out what to do with her. I know she's got speed and has seen some time with the Full-Canadian NT but she's a forward who only scored 5 goals this season and 6 the season before. I just find her lack of scoring odd. Is she one that should make a transition to outside back? The only thing i've been impressed with out of her is speed.

6. WWC_Movement

WWC_Movement Red Card

Dec 10, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Papua New Guinea
    The Mondo Movement Top 25 has been updated, to reflect the current Top professional prospects in college.
    Top Drawer Soccer also updated their Top 100.

TDS:
    http://www.topdrawersoccer.com/college-soccer/college-national-top-100/women

Mondo Movement (Top 25) (these players are mondo, dude)
    1.) Kadeisha Buchanan
    2.) Andi Sullivan (2018 Draft)
    3.) Morgan Andrews
    4.) Savannah Jordan
    5.) Rose Lavelle
    6.) Jessie Fleming (2020 Draft)
    7.) Ashley Hatch
    8.) Jane Campbell
    9.) Christina Gibbons
    10.) Deyna Castellanos (2020 Draft)
    11.) Taylor Racioppi (2019 Draft) (could be the #1 pick of the 2019 NWSL Draft)
    12.) Rachel Corboz (2018 Draft) (solid movement up the Mondo Movement Top 25, after her stellar season)
    13.) Megan Connolly (2019 Draft)
    14.) Ashley Lawrence
    15.) Rachel Hill
    16.) Maddie Bauer
    17.) Kayla Mills
    18.) Arielle Ship
    19.) Rebecca Quinn (2018 Draft) (seeking redshirt, after injury)
    20.) Toni Payne
    21.) Devon Kerr (2019 Draft)
    22.) Maddie Elliston (2019 Draft)
    23.) Mikaela Harvey (2019 Draft)
    24.) Alexis Shaffer
    25.) Bridgette Andrzejewski (2020 Draft)

*When Mallory Pugh and Ashley Sanchez enroll at UCLA, they instantly become #1 and #2 on this list.
    **Fleming moves to #4 on this list, behind Pugh, Sanchez, and Sullivan (after the 2017 NWSL Draft)

7. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Through the following season. Don't see players not coming to the league drafted until 4th round (maybe 3rd). That said, if the players don't register for the NWSL draft then you can't select them.

8. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I am curious to see if Buchanan and Lawrence will turn up in June in the NWSL like Morgan because they are likely to have long terms contracts with OL and PSG.

9. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did they sign with OL or PSG? I haven't heard anything.

10. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    It is question of hours now, probably awaiting 2017 to make it official like Henry.

It is all but confirmed if you read the French papers :

Romain Ballad confirmed things are now finalised for Buchanan.

Patrice Lair the PSG manager in the Midi-Libre paper "avoir une internationale canadienne dans le couloir qui va m'amener un plus. Jeune aussi."

We will have a canadian international she plays on the wing and will be bringing something extra to our game, she is young as well.

MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  11. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
  12. Myrtle

Myrtle Member

Jan 13, 2015
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Big time announcements in the last few days. Buchanan and Lawrence to France....Haven't heard anything but rumors on Jordan still but this certainly changes the first round predictions.

On a much less big name note...It appears KC native Jaycie Johnson of the University of Nebraska has torn her ACL for a 2nd time. I thought for sure she would be a late round pick up for the Blues. More than likely this affects her draft status. Too bad, I thought she could be a sleeper pick in 2017. Wishing her a speedy recovery.

13. Forgedias

Forgedias Member

Mar 5, 2012
    After watching Jessie Fleming all year long I'm not sure I agree with that assessment of where Fleming will place. She was very clutch for UCLA. When they needed a goal, she would out drive her defender to get that goal. She had 11 goals, 4 assists I believe this year and this is after she came in from the Olympics and missed games because of it.

Plus she is an absolute magician with the ball. She does a lot of fakes and dribbles to break marks on her which is why she tended to be marked with 2 or 3 players which was very excessive but at that time UCLA didn't have much help for Fleming since Darian Jenkins went down to injury with a broken leg so teams basically dared UCLA to find another player that could come through with a goal.

The additions of Pugh and Sanchez will help replace the out going senior forwards but they will be rookies in essence so Fleming will still be the go to player with the ball. In the beginning, Coach Cromwell didn't try to force Fleming to carry the load but her first game she scored 2 goals against Florida. So that changed Cromwell's approach to Fleming after that. Fleming was more on the wings but as the season wore on, she was allowed to roam and become a box to box midfielder because Fleming has huge endurance. She can run and run all day long. Later in the season she shared the 10 role with Rodriguez who was handling much of that for awhile but Fleming's class was showing. Fleming was adapting to all the heavy marking she was getting and drawing defenders in and then through balling or making passes to open players and drawing a lot of fouls. Fleming was constantly getting fouled by the other team to take her down when she out deked a player. Fleming started using that to her advantage by taking the ball and driving right at the defender and forcing them to take her down which she would get spot kicks right outside the penalty box on numerous occasions.

What Fleming is showing is that she is very skilled with the ball at her feet but she is also very heady as well. Very smart and is continuing to grow her game. As I see it the squad is already Fleming's and she will control and move the offense through her. Between her and Rodriguez in the middle, they will feed Pugh and Sanchez. UCLA has a very good future ahead of them.

14. Airox

Airox Member

Mar 14, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So... initial player draft list out.... Anyone have a mock draft?

15. Smallchief

Smallchief Member+

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    #115 Smallchief, Jan 4, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2017
    Wow, Boston has 5 out of the first 12 choices. Maybe do a Western New York and field a very young, fast team? Given Boston's trading record, they might do best to just pull names out of a hat.

However, I hope Beantown improves itself -- vastly. Boston is a nice place. Why doesn't anybody want to play there?

16. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Results have been poor for years. I don't think it helps.

17. ricardo17

ricardo17 Member

Jan 10, 2015
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I think all these players are included in the preliminary list, correct me if I am wrong

2017 NWSL Mock Draft

Round 1
    1-BOS---Lavelle (Wisconsin)
    2-WNY---Gibbons (Duke)
    3-BOS---Hatch (BYU)
    4-SBFC---Jordan (Florida)
    5-FCKC---Andrews (USC)
    6-SEA---Mills (USC)
    7-WNY---Ribeiro (UConn)
    8-CRS---Hill (UConn)
    9-BOS---Freeman (USC)
    10-SBFC---Shaffer (UVA)

Round 2
    11-BOS---Meehan (BC)
    12-BOS---Bauer (Stanford)
    13-FCKC---Campbell (Stanford)
    14-POR---Purce (Harvard)
    15-HOU---Vasconcelos (BYU)
    16-BOS---Dougherty Howard (Florida)
    17-FCKC---McNabb (UVA)
    18-WNY---Driesse (Penn State)
    19-WAS---Payne (Duke)
    20-POR---Drennan (SC)

Round 3
    21-BOS---Lussi (Princeton)
    22-ORL---Johnson (USC)
    23-SBFC---Atanda (Clemson)
    24-SBFC---Harris (UNC)
    25-FCKC---Boon (Portland)
    26-SRFC---Seabert (Pepperdine)
    27-POR---Ship (Cal)
    28-CRS---Beal (Minnesota)
    29-WAS---Prudhomme (SC)
    30-SBFC---Agnew (Ohio State)

Round 4
    31-BOS---Dowd (BC)
    32-ORL---Thomas (Georgetown)
    33-HOU---Gardner (UNC)
    34-SBFC---Prince (Ohio State)
    35-FCKC---Cox (UVA)
    36-WAS---Tiernan (VT)
    37-SEA---Levin (USC)
    38-CRS---Stearns (UVA)
    39-CRS---Proffitt (Marquette)
    40-POR---Jenkins (UCLA)

Myrtle repped this.
  18. Airox

Airox Member

Mar 14, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FCKC taking a GK? They've got Barnhart....

19. mamalia

mamalia Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Cincinnati OH US
    From Chris Henderson - All White Kit - he did his Four Factors analysis on players (all classes) who scored at least 10 non-PK goals this year.
    The Factors:
    SPG – Shots per Goal – How many shots does it take for a player to score?
    SOG% – Shot on Goal Percentage – How many of the player’s shots force a goalkeeper into action?
    50 – Goals Scored Against RPI Top 50 Teams
    100 – Goals Scored Against RPI Top 100 Teams

Jessie Fleming's score? 294. She was in the #2 position of ALL players (`85 fit the criteria of > 10 goals). As a Freshman. Who played in the U20 WWC.

Also, her dribbling, field vision, assists - very refined and effective. So yeah, she looks totally sick.

20. ricardo17

ricardo17 Member

Jan 10, 2015
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    They can upgrade the backup GK spot. Start developing a young gk now for when Barnhart decides to retire.

21. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I'd be surprised if Barnhart played more than one or two more seasons.

22. ricardo17

ricardo17 Member

Jan 10, 2015
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    That, plus a young gk can learn alot from her game.

23. Myrtle

Myrtle Member

Jan 13, 2015
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I go back and forth on this...

1. It's hard for me to see Sky Blue passing on Campbell at #10. Them and and Washington have the most glaring need for a starting keeper. And NJ has the better drafting position.
    2. Barnhart IMO had her best season last year and was the most healthy I've ever seen her. I don't necessarily think they have to draft a keeper that high.
    3. I know Barnhart has gone back to her alma mater to help coach. So I wouldn't be surprised if she and Campbell know each other.
    4. Our back up is a no name. We need an upgrade badly. I wouldn't be upset if we drafted a GK in the 2nd round but I'm hoping it's with #17, as the order stands currently we need starting level field players more than a back up goalie.
    5. I wouldn't be upset if we end up drafting Campbell at 13 though...hard to argue with her as a future investment.

MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  24. ricardo17

ricardo17 Member

Jan 10, 2015
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I mean they could probably opt to picking Campbell at 17th instead of 13th since teams with picks 14-16 (POR,HOU,CRS) aren't in need of a keeper. But then again, trades on draft day are unpredictable.

25. Caversham

Caversham Member

Oct 25, 2015
    #125 Caversham, Jan 5, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
    Would CRS consider trading Dalton? Dalton is the best backup GK in the league and is probably better than 3-5 of the current starting GKs in the league. Naeher will play in most games for the next two seasons since there are no major USWNT tournaments for several years. Do CRS really need a backup of Dalton's quality?

The only downsides I see are that:
    1) Dalton is a homegrown Chicago native.
    2) CRS isn't in need of many (really any) starters, so will be most likely be drafting for depth. They would probably need quite a bit of value if they trade Dalton.

cpthomas repped this.